Ok, so my rig is as follows (ignore my profile, it hasn't been updated in ages and i cba to change it right now):

Gibson Les Paul 2008 Standard -> Xotic BB Preamp -> BK Butler Tube Driver -> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe -> [effects loop] MXR 6 Band EQ -> Hardwire DL-8 Delay.

I'm now looking to add a compressor to my ranks. My main uses for it will be to tighten up my clean tone and to add sustain and smoothness to my leads, ala David Gilmour. The Tube Driver already gives my leads a lot of sustain, but sometimes want just a bit extra, however, as I already have quite a bit of sustain on my lead channel, I don't want too much compression, just a bit to smoothen the sound out and add that extra touch of sustain I'm after. For use with cleans, I would like to preserve some of my dynamics, but have just a subtle amount of compression to add some fullness to the tone, increase clean sustain and even out the differences in string volumes... I'm not after a super compressed squishy Knopfler-style clean, in other words.

With my budget in and around £100 maximum, pedals I had in mind are as follows. Please consider I would prefer to spend less, and only want to pay as high as I have to. I can afford to go a little over budget if absolutley necessary, but I would definitely prefer to pay less. Anyway, without further ado (sorry if I'm boring you), the current shortlist:

TC Electronic Vintage Compressor
EHX White Finger
Carl Martin Opto Compressor
BOSS CS-3 (Or a CS-2 if I can find one)
Ibanez CS9 or CS10 (there's a few of each of these knocking about on eBay)
MXR Dyna Comp

And the slightly over budget:

Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
Seymour Duncan Double Back Compressor
Carl Martin Compressor

Ideally I'm after some analogue sounding compression with a few options for tweaking, at a fair price. I've pretty much ruled out compressors with just two knobs as I've got a good idea of the sort of compression I'm after and want to tweak and fine tune it to my requirements (although feel free to try and convert me if you feel I'm making a mistake). The only exception to this is the Dyna Comp, as I've heard some good things about it, and it was the compressor that David Gilmour probably used on most of his solos, although I'm unsure about it due to it's lack of apparent versatility.

The BOSS has been included because it's relatively inexpensive (and they have loads on eBay) and has some good tweaking options. I'm aware there are a few mods available for it too, although I don't want to get it if it's going to screw with my tone or add a digital shine to things... I want a fairly transparent compressor.

If anyone has any experience with any of the listed compressors (especially the Pigtronix or Seymour Duncan ones, as information on these is limited), I would greatly appreciate your assistance as, unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can try before I buy on this occasion. Any other suggestions are more than welcome, and again will be greatly appreciated. Cheaper alternatives than my £100 budget would also be great, so long as they can maintain the quality. Many thanks for your help, in advance, and apologies for the rather extravagant post
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

Last edited by Stearner at Aug 19, 2009,
I used to have the Dyna Comp and loved it. You can make a lot of amazing sounds out of it. I ended up selling it because I needed money at the time and now wish I had held on to it.

There's a reason there are so many BOSS compressors on ebay... they aren't that good (IMO)

If you're looking for cheap and good... that MXR is the way to go
Many thanks for the recommendation, any one else have any opinions on this?
Quote by tubetime86

philosophers tone is worth the extra cash. it's is the best compressor in it's price range in the market today. if you have the money, i strongly recommend at least checking it out. it deserves serious consideration.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I'd save up and get either the Philospher's Tone, an old MXR Script Dyna Comp or an old Ross Compressor.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Jhachey22
philosophers tone is worth the extra cash. it's is the best compressor in it's price range in the market today. if you have the money, i strongly recommend at least checking it out. it deserves serious consideration.

Do you have one? If so, it'd be great if you could post some sound clips. Would you mind explaining to me some of its advantages against the other units, especially the MXR Dyna Comp and TC Electronics Vintage Compressor.. I think I've pinned it down to these two pedals at the moment.

Thanks for the other recommendations, all have been considered. And Dellex, those jam pedals look really nice, thanks for the heads up, although I would imagine they're more expensive than I am willing to pay for a compressor and I couldn't find any for sale in the U.K. on the internet anyway :-S
Quote by tubetime86

Quote by Stearner
Do you have one? If so, it'd be great if you could post some sound clips. Would you mind explaining to me some of its advantages against the other units, especially the MXR Dyna Comp and TC Electronics Vintage Compressor.. I think I've pinned it down to these two pedals at the moment.

Thanks for the other recommendations, all have been considered. And Dellex, those jam pedals look really nice, thanks for the heads up, although I would imagine they're more expensive than I am willing to pay for a compressor and I couldn't find any for sale in the U.K. on the internet anyway :-S

I don't have anything to record with, but Pro guitar shop has an amazing demo of it's capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uWPLadlNA0
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.