You probably get this a lot but im confused about scales even after trying to read up some theory and browsing the lessons on ultimate guitar and other sites.

This is what i've got so far:

G Minor Pentatonic shape
E-|--|0-|--|0-|
B-|--|0-|--|0-|
G-|0-|--|--|0-|
D-|0-|--|--|0-|
A-|--|0-|--|0-|
E-|--|0-|--|0-|

E Minor Pentatonic shape
E-|0-|--|--|0-|
B-|0-|--|--|0-|
G-|0-|--|0-|--|
D-|0-|--|0-|--|
A-|0-|--|0-|--|
E-|0-|--|--|0-|

D Minor Pentatonic shape
E-|--|0-|--|0-|
B-|--|0-|--|0-|
G-|0-|--|0-|--|
D-|0-|--|--|0-|
A-|0-|--|--|0-|
E-|--|0-|--|0-|

C Minor Pentatonic shape
E-|--|0-|--|0-|--|
B-|--|0-|--|--|0-|
G-|0-|--|--|0-|--|
D-|--|0-|--|0-|--|
A-|--|0-|--|0-|--|
E-|--|0-|--|0-|--|

A Minor Pentatonic shape
E-|0-|--|--|0-|
B-|--|0-|--|0-|
G-|0-|--|0-|--|
D-|0-|--|0-|--|
A-|0-|--|--|0-|
E-|0-|--|--|0-|

What frets and strings do i start on for each?

I have also looked up the Major scale but am confused with that also.

If anyone has any links to any sites or can explain a bit more about scales to me i would be very grateful
I don't know where you got those names for the shapes, but looks to me like they'd just confuse things.

The minor pentatonic scale is just the minor scale with the 2nd and 6th degrees omitted.

If you take the second shape in your list, and change the name from 'E minor pentatonic shape' to '1st position of the minor pentatonic', then whatever note the lowest note on your low E string lands on is your root note. So if you want to play A min pent put this shape so the lowest note on the E string is at the 5th fret (A)

If you take the third shape in your list, and change the name from 'D minor pentatonic shape' to '2nd position of the minor pentatonic', then whatever note the lowest note on your low E string lands on is your the b3 of the minor pent, or the root note of the relative major pent. So if the lowest note on the E string is at the 8th fret (C) you'll either be playing C Major pentatonic, or A minor pentatonic, depending on the backing and what note you resolve to.

I would urge you to learn the major scale though - once you understand the major scale you'll be able to see how other scales are related to it, and then they'll start to make a lot more sense.

Edit: Don't worry about shapes the major scale makes on the neck yet. Learn it in terms of notes and intervals, then learn to play it single string. Once you are comfortable with it single string and know what it should sound like, try playing it 3nps.
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 19, 2009,
I'd go to your local headshop and pick up a nice digi, probably run you about $45-50.

EDIT: Wait a minute......
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
zhilla's got this covered.

but the main thing that you should understand is that scales are not "shapes", they are a selection of notes (in the case of thr pentatonic, 5 notes).

anywhere you find the notes of the scale on the fretboard, you are basically playing that scale.

obviously these notes can be put into box shapes for ease of reference, but you dont have to be locked into that one "shape".

If anyone has any links to any sites or can explain a bit more about scales to me i would be very grateful

this site has many lessons that can give you what you seek.