Today i took apart my old gameboy color to check out its "organs" and was struck with a sick idea. if i took the soundcard and soldered an inpt jack somewhere (absolutely no clue where) would i be able to run my guitar through it. ive thought about it and so far i think i cant. i dont know how the innards of my gameboy work, but can this actually be possible?
Somebody did something like this awhile back.
I just cant remember where.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
It would help if i can get a link but if not thats fine. if i can do this, would be cool to make a stompbox.
I don't think it's that simple. oldschool games consoles don't save music as a 'sound' we would recognise, they don't save it as a wave. they save it as instructions to drive a rudementary synthesiser to produce sounds from scratch.
the output from your guitar would have to be converted from a "wave-like" signal into the right instructions. it's simply not worth the effort. although one way you could do it is using a MIDI pickup, hooked up to, say, a PC, and then either play a sample of the gameboy or run it though a program for producing gameboy type sounds.

or else you could ignore the "MIDI pickup" part entirely. a quick googling gave me the option of downloading a few freeware 8bit synth programs. you could get one of those as aforementioned, a keyboard with a MIDI socket, and a MIDI-USB cable, and use a keyboard to play the music.

slightly off-topic, I recently bought an old 80's yamaha POS keyboard. shortly after I plugged it in i thought "that sounds a wee bit like my old megadrive". I was reading up on the internet later, it turns out they both use the same chip to produce sound! It might be a good idea to look into this some more, maybe there's an old keyboard out there with a gameboy chip in it!
Last edited by jimRH7 at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by TheWizard42
Today i took apart my old gameboy color to check out its "organs" and was struck with a sick idea. if i took the soundcard and soldered an inpt jack somewhere (absolutely no clue where) would i be able to run my guitar through it. ive thought about it and so far i think i cant. i dont know how the innards of my gameboy work, but can this actually be possible?

nope, for 2 reasons. the first being that there isnt any sort of mic or line in on a gameboy. the second being that you state "i dont know how the innards of my gameboy work" and someone who doesnt know how something works wont have very much success.

you can circuit bend it, you can turn it into a synth but a pedal will prove to be difficult, even for someone who knows what they are doing.
I remember someone made a thread about this, and everyone took the piss out of him for it. I assumed you were trying to make a joke, then realised you were serious.
you cant do it with a gameboy. The sound in a gameboy is made from a microcontroller directly driving a Digital-Analog-Converter. It would need to have a ADC input and you would need to program it.

BUT it would be very easy to do just using a ADC and then an 8bit DAC.

this sound was made with a single pitch,so it would be very easy. Im sure there are other ways.
Last edited by Kramdra at Aug 19, 2009,