I think I have come up with a riff which sounds quite good, but I'm just wondering if it's safe to put it on UG. This is the best thing I've come up with in a few months, and I don't want it stolen. I also don't want to pay money to copyright by ideas.
well UG has a very tough plagiarism policy.
obviously the only way to keep it completely safe and be able to enforce it is by copyrighting it....
Quote by InvaderTSN
Guess that safe wasn't really safe after all.

/bad joke

Quote by strat0blaster
They're in Virginia. It doesn't surprise me.

Have you ever lived in Virginia?

y yes i do live in virginia
NoVA

RIP Heaven's Gate
but it in a tab form and mail a copy to yourself but don't open it. that way, if someone ever steals it, you just whip that **** out and sue their sorry ass.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Considering I'm only 15, I don't think I'd be able to sue someone.
Even if you have a cheap nasty recording of it (a pc mic near your amp or a phone recording) burn it to a CD and throw that in an envelope with the tab written out. Send it to yourself but don't open it. The postmark will prove the date and if it comes to it, a judge can open it up and that proves it's yours. Probably won't come to that though.

Or what you could do is develop it into a song and make a decent recording of it if you can get a few mates together. Upload it to myspace or something (as well as the envelope thing). Make it popular before someone else does.
Quote by DrNinja
Considering I'm only 15, I don't think I'd be able to sue someone.

15, eh? me too. I didn't put anything up on UG, though. I doubt anybody'd be THAT desperate.
“Baaaaabe,baaaaabe,baaaabe....”
~ Robert plant on being asked what his favorite food was

~ Robert Plant at his Grammy acceptance speech

~ Robert Plant all the time
No offense dude but I don't think that you're going to come up with a riff that's singlehandedly going to break a band.

And anyway if it's been posted on UG then there are records of it so you have proof that you wrote it. Of course the proper way is by Registered Mail as kts said.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by guitar*guy
15, eh? me too. I didn't put anything up on UG, though. I doubt anybody'd be THAT desperate.

Unfortunatley, I am. I'm trying to get opinions and improvements on it, and all anyone says is 'It's ok.' I've asked my band, family and friends, and I never recieve anything which will help me improve my work.
Quote by DrNinja
Unfortunatley, I am. I'm trying to get opinions and improvements on it, and all anyone says is 'It's ok.' I've asked my band, family and friends, and I never recieve anything which will help me improve my work.

Try Facebook? Random, I know but that's what I did. Not for originals, but covers...with my atrocious equipment still, everyone liked my Eruption cover
~ Robert plant on being asked what his favorite food was

~ Robert Plant at his Grammy acceptance speech

~ Robert Plant all the time
Formerly copyrighting it generally won't prevent anyone stealing it; all it will do is give you a stronger case when you take them to court if they do. If you can't afford to take them to court, or if they don't have any money for you to sue them for, then it's a bit of a moot point, really.

It's like a lock on your house door: doesn't affect people who weren't going to steal your **** anyway, and people who were will probably just break a window and still get in. What it does give you is the power to stand in court and say "clearly that stuff wasn't there for you to take, if you had to break in to get it" -- if you can find the bastard and get him into court.
Quote by DrNinja
I think I have come up with a riff which sounds quite good, but I'm just wondering if it's safe to put it on UG. This is the best thing I've come up with in a few months, and I don't want it stolen. I also don't want to pay money to copyright by ideas.

In all honesty, I really don't think anyone will give a damn.

Even if it's an absolute classic riff, the odds are the people stealing won't benefit from it in any way.