I know that Paul Gilbert does not anchornig,
but I just understanded that to mute unwanted strings you need to rest your right hand on the bridge...
so...what technique does Paul Gilbert uses to mute string?

lol compilcated
like any good guitarist he uses a combination of both hands to mute strings.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
drewfromutah - I think that palm mute is anchoring, cause at both techniques you rest your hand.

TechnoLp - what kind of combination?
Anchoring is when you rest one or more of you're FINGERS on the guitar. It would be almost impossible to play well if you didn't use some sort of right hand technique to mute strings.

As for Paul Gilbert's picking technique, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

That should help you out
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Quote by metal_shredder0
Anchoring is when you rest one or more of you're FINGERS on the guitar. It would be almost impossible to play well if you didn't use some sort of right hand technique to mute strings.

As for Paul Gilbert's picking technique, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

That should help you out

In the video Paul didn't say anything about muting unwanted sounds, just talked about alternate picking...

but..
you say that everyone, but EVERYONE rest palm on the bridge? even who doesnt anchor?
Ok I'll start do this, untill now I just touched the string above with the tip of my finger to block unwanted notes..
Quote by metal_shredder0
Anchoring is when you rest one or more of you're FINGERS on the guitar.

Doesn't have to be. You can anchor with your palm or forearm. The point is you shouldn't be relying on any certain part or your hand/arm for support because it decreases mobility. But it is ok to mute with your palm
I hate my sig
Quote by sagyas
In the video Paul didn't say anything about muting unwanted sounds, just talked about alternate picking...

but..
you say that everyone, but EVERYONE rest palm on the bridge? even who doesnt anchor?
Ok I'll start do this, untill now I just touched the string above with the tip of my finger to block unwanted notes..

Anchoring is just as it sounds. Locking a part of your hand i n a place that will cause you to not move as freely. It's alright to palm mute or to use your hand to mute strings you don't play. However, if you like your hand on your bridge, for instance, it can mess up your wrist because you're anchoring your hand there.

If you put any of your fingers in a certain place on the guitar, most people think about that as being anchoring. Anchoring however is locking any part of your picking hand to restrict free movement. If you watch Paul Gilbert, he freely moves his picking hand.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Doesn't have to be. You can anchor with your palm or forearm. The point is you shouldn't be relying on any certain part or your hand/arm for support because it decreases mobility. But it is ok to mute with your palm

So it is anchoring! crap
I want technique to block unwanted noises without anchoring, i want my hand to be free,
how do I do it?!

so FallsDownStairs ur point is that palm muting = anchoring
so how can I block sound without anchoring (=p.m) ?
Last edited by sagyas at Aug 19, 2009,
if you want to mute something i dont think your hand is free unless its for a short while .... palm muting does what you want as well as if you mute some strings with your left hand using your fingers but from what i can tell is those are basically the only ways you can block unwanted noises unless you turn off the volume lol
"Their always is no such thing as a wrong note!"
Quote by sagyas
So it is anchoring! crap
I want technique to block unwanted noises without anchoring, i want my hand to be free,
how do I do it?!

so FallsDownStairs ur point is that palm muting = anchoring
so how can I block sound without anchoring (=p.m) ?

No, that's not my point. You are seeing everything as anchoring and I refuse to go any further in this debate.

Since you see everything as anchoring, I guess you just won't be able to mute unwanted strings.
MUTING STRINGS WITH YOUR PALM ON PURPOSE IS NOT ANCHORING. IF YOU RELY ON RESTING YOUR FOREARM, PALM, or FINGERS ON THE BODY OF THE GUITAR IN ORDER TO PLAY (NOT MUTE) PROPERLY, YOU'RE ANCHORING.
Quote by QuantumMechanix

So its bad to rest fingers on the guitar? I do that is it back to 25npm for me?
Quote by hippieboy444
So its bad to rest fingers on the guitar? I do that is it back to 25npm for me?

Sorry, but npm?

Physically speaking, it's not possible for any part of your picking arm to "rest" anywhere on the guitar body. You would have to actively exert a force into the guitar body. If you think some part of your arm is "resting" on the guitar, ask yourself what is keeping it there. It's not gravity.

Touching is an entirely different story, it's necessary that you touch the strings with the heel/side of the palm or the flesh below the thumb to dampen the strings. Touching requires almost no exertion into the body of the guitar.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by hippieboy444
^ oh, so touching fingers to the guitar isn't bad?
Good :P

Touching no, but unless your hands are very large, it shouldn't be necessary for your fingers to touch at all. If they stay firmly in position while you play, that's an anchor.

Also, I can only imagine any fingers touching the guitar would imede your ability to transition to hybrid picking motions...
Actually, the metaphor "anchor" is pretty accurate. You have this large block of metal. You attach a rope to it and toss it over the side of your boat. It lands on the seabed and now your boat can only go as far as the rope stretches. Apply the idea to guitar, and that's what anchoring is pretty much down to a T.

If your boat had a super light weight anchor, such that even though it touched the seabed from time to time, it didn't slow down your boat at all, then it wouldn't be functioning as an anchor. So - touching the guitar is fine - in fact, it is necessary, since you'd have to use a very unnatural technique that wouldn't translate to playing well in order to completely avoid touching the guitar.
Quote by hippieboy444
so I shoudl curl my fingers in?

Generalll speaking, your picking hand should be shaped as follows.

Let your picking arm hng loosely at your side. You'll notice that your fingers curl upwards, and that your thumb either makes contact with your index finger, or is very close to it.

Keep your hand loose, and lift your arm and rest it in front of you on a flat surface (table, etc), with your thumbnail facing the ceiling. Now, slip a pick between your thumb and index finger, which should be in contact with eachother.

That is the most natural shape for your hand to assume while picking.
Quote by drewfromutah
Using your palm to mute is not anchoring. I'd like to see any guitarist try to do anything with 0 right hand muting.

yo haha
So for summary:
Palm mute is not anchoring?
and even paul gilbert use it? (cause i know he doesnt anchor)
yes he doesnt anchor although he does use his right hand for muting
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Anchoring is where you actively apply pressure to the guitar. When you palm mute you shouldn't have to press your hand down on the bridge, it should just sit their because of gravity.
Actually pressing your fingers onto the body of the guitar restricts motion at the wrist. That makes it anchoring.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Anchoring is where you actively apply pressure to the guitar. When you palm mute you shouldn't have to press your hand down on the bridge, it should just sit their because of gravity.

Gravity acts downwards, the force (which is very small) that keeps the hand in contact with the strings in order to dampen them is into the strings. Unless you play the guitar at a pretty extreme angle, or play lying down, the action of gravity would prevent your hand from staying in contact with the strings or bridge.
1) Palm muting is palm muting.
2) Anchoring is anchoring.

Learn 1. Do not learn 2.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Gravity acts downwards, the force (which is very small) that keeps the hand in contact with the strings in order to dampen them is into the strings. Unless you play the guitar at a pretty extreme angle, or play lying down, the action of gravity would prevent your hand from staying in contact with the strings or bridge.

Where do you rest your elbow?

If you hold your arm out infront of you with your guitar on and then relax your arm, doesn't it go down to the body of your guitar?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by ChrisN
1) Palm muting is palm muting.
2) Anchoring is anchoring.

Learn 1. Do not learn 2.

roger that
Quote by Deep*Kick
Where do you rest your elbow?

My elbow is nowhere near the guitar, if I treid to bring my elbow toward the guitar I'd have to pick over the fretboard. My elbow is at least six inches clear of the upper body contour on my Strats. Do you mean my forearm?

Quote by Deep*Kick
If you hold your arm out infront of you with your guitar on and then relax your arm, doesn't it go down to the body of your guitar?

Yes, that's the position your arm is in while resting. There are no other "resting" positions, you have to apply a force to lift your arm to the picking position. You have to apply another force to make contact with the guitar. When I'm playing, the only part of my picking arm that comes in contact with the guitar is the heel of my palm, which very lightly touches the strings to dampen them.

If you were heavily built (I'm not particularly), I'd imagine it's possible that your forearm would have to make contact with the guitar body, but even then, there's little reason to plant it there by exerting an excessive force into the guitar body.
Jesus titty ****ing christ!!!!

Just play in a way that is comfortable for you. These threads get so, so old.

You guys get so freaking technical as to how to hold the pick as if it were a science. Just mess around with different ways of holding the pick and the way you position everything and figure out what is best for you as a player, not what is best for people online.

You are not us, so the way I do things isn't always going to be the best way for you or others to do things. Self exploration is a wonderful thing. Mentally and physically. Try it out sometime.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
So much BS in this thread

Anchoring is applied, when you need to use force (or counter force) to keep your hand in place.

If it has a negative effect on ur picking hand, then I advise to read through the technique stickies and Freepower's (mod) lessons.

Furthermore, a very roughly taken point would be;

Use the right hand palm for the bottom 3 strings (E, A, D), and the left hand for the top 3 (G, B, e)

This is roughly taken, and they can (and probably will) cross over, but it's to give the general idea.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by drewfromutah
This poor OP is going to be so concerned about where to put his elbow, forearm, hand, fingers, wrist, side of hand, etc, that his guitar career will come to an end soon.

Exactly......whats the point of playing guitar if it becomes a chore?

Its always for fun when you start so just get comfortable, relax, and enjoy the music that you get to play.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Jesus titty ****ing christ!!!!

Just play in a way that is comfortable for you. These threads get so, so old.

You guys get so freaking technical as to how to hold the pick as if it were a science. Just mess around with different ways of holding the pick and the way you position everything and figure out what is best for you as a player, not what is best for people online.

Can the blind learn to lead themselves?

Yes, obviously - but it's a hell of a lot easier to get help. People who obsess over details endlessly rather than playing the guitar have a problem - but it's not the fault of those giving out correct information when asked for it.