Page 1 of 2
I think i bring this on myself really, having msn as my homepage is ridiculous when i think about it. It's just a nice familiar page to look at briefly when i enter internet explorer and so i never change it. But i must say that it bugs the HELL out of me sometimes.

On there today i noticed an article on most overrated musicians which you can find here, i checked it out cos i thought it would be good for a few laughs. I must first state that im completely open to everyone's opinions, no matter how mis-guided i believe them to be, or how much i resent the person themself. They are just opinions and must be accepted whether you like it or not. But this particular article REALLY got on my wick when i read through the author's list of most overrated musicians. In a way i actually agree with his choices, id like to make clear, but it is just the whole manner in which he has mistaken overrated for bad. He seems to think that because a band or musician is overrated that it means he can just slag them off as if they have no talent at all!

When i look at the list i have to agree with the likes of Green Day (who i particulalry like), Duffy, John Lennon, Morrissey (could listen to him all day) etc as being overrated. But this is neither their fault, nor a reason to bash them in such a way. They recieve praise for their obvious talent, but it is the fault of people like this author who over-praise the artists that they become overrated, just as he has the power to slag them all off and create new opinions for the masses. I can't stand how he takes music which he doesn't like of famous artists and uses the term overrated to describe how he thinks they are bad. It's not the same thing! The whole list is made up of great artists who should be respected for what they do. Even what Green Day, Jack White, and Richard Ashcroft do so simply must be appreciated for its effectiveness. It may be annoying that you cant escape them on the music channels sometimes, but that doesn't make them any less talented as the author seems to think.

Am i looking into this too much? Am i completely wrong? Probably. Should i even care this much? Unlikely. But id like to know what you all think anyway

Thanks to all those who have managed to read this far. Post away
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
lolwut?

Eric Clapton, msn is utter fail.

btw i read all of your post and expect tl;dr in a moment
-no sig-
i really ****ing hate greenday and i agree with him on every single one but please someone bring up AC/DC. **** that band is horrible.
Carry on
Quote by qvchater
i really ****ing hate greenday and i agree with him on every single one but please someone bring up AC/DC. **** that band is horrible.

Im so glad you obviously didnt get the point of my article at all

each to their own i guess
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
I think i bring this on myself really, having msn as my homepage is ridiculous when i think about it. It's just a nice familiar page to look at briefly when i enter internet explorer and so i never change it. But i must say that it bugs the HELL out of me sometimes.

On there today i noticed an article on most overrated musicians which you can find here, i checked it out cos i thought it would be good for a few laughs. I must first state that im completely open to everyone's opinions, no matter how mis-guided i believe them to be, or how much i resent the person themself. They are just opinions and must be accepted whether you like it or not. But this particular article REALLY got on my wick when i read through the author's list of most overrated musicians. In a way i actually agree with his choices, id like to make clear, but it is just the whole manner in which he has mistaken overrated for bad. He seems to think that because a band or musician is overrated that it means he can just slag them off as if they have no talent at all!

When i look at the list i have to agree with the likes of Green Day (who i particulalry like), Duffy, John Lennon, Morrissey (could listen to him all day) etc as being overrated. But this is neither their fault, nor a reason to bash them in such a way. They recieve praise for their obvious talent, but it is the fault of people like this author who over-praise the artists that they become overrated, just as he has the power to slag them all off and create new opinions for the masses. I can't stand how he takes music which he doesn't like of famous artists and uses the term overrated to describe how he thinks they are bad. It's not the same thing! The whole list is made up of great artists who should be respected for what they do. Even what Green Day, Jack White, and Richard Ashcroft do so simply must be appreciated for its effectiveness. It may be annoying that you cant escape them on the music channels sometimes, but that doesn't make them any less talented as the author seems to think.

Am i looking into this too much? Am i completely wrong? Probably. Should i even care this much? Unlikely. But id like to know what you all think anyway

Thanks to all those who have managed to read this far. Post away

your problems are in bold
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I saw this earlier. It angried up my blood. How's Clapton over-rated? I don't even like his music, but he is a great guitarist.

BRB, going to the angry dome.
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Im so glad you obviously didnt get the point of my article at all

each to their own i guess

Bad + popular = overrated.

If i'm not mistaken, ACDC fits into that just perfectly.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by jgbsmith

Quote by USCENDONE BENE

As are yours
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
As are yours

okay, on the greenday. But seriously, don't use IE.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by StewieSwan
Bad + popular = overrated.

If i'm not mistaken, ACDC fits into that just perfectly.

*ahem*
more praise than necessary in comparisson to work = overrated, they dont necessarily have to be BAD.

^ And yeah, IE is lame, but whatchagonnado?
OK, they can't just say, "not the John Lennon in the Beatles" just no. It's the same person whether you like it or not. It's like saying that the Ozzy in Black Sabbath is different thhan his solo stuff.

Also, to qvchater, go suck Brian Johnson's ****.

edit: Oh brother.
Quote by msn
Without their influence on a young Kurt Cobain we may never have had Nirvana, for which we're grateful. But they're still bloody awful.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Aug 19, 2009,
what about jimi hendrix???
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
*ahem*
more praise than necessary in comparisson to work = overrated, they dont necessarily have to be BAD.

^ And yeah, IE is lame, but whatchagonnado?

download a better browser?
as soon as i saw sabbath i gave up all credibility in the article.

then i saw lennon.

then i saw clapton.

then i saw a white light at the end of a long, dark tunnel.
Quote by Bleurgh
Almost the exact same thing happened to me except I didn't die .

Quote by Tire Me.

Quote by SteveHouse
2^ What the flying fuck

pack your bags, move to the city.
Man, this thread is gonna go bad, so I'd close it. But Bryan Adams is on their list of Most Underrated...
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Man, this thread is gonna go bad, so I'd close it. But Bryan Adams is on their list of Most Underrated...

Yeah, i think face-palm just about sums it all up
I read this article earlier!! It pissed me off though, even though I don't like any [well, very few] of the bands/artists...

I get where you're coming from, bro.
STRIKING MINORS
Quote by Jak Archer
what about jimi hendrix???

Go die.
Remember this. Remember the summer. Whatever you do. Don't forget.
Believe me, I don't think you're looking into this too much. I've noticed how much people have confused overrated with bad as well. IMO being overrated is being either good OR bad at what you do, but appeal to so many people that you reach almost a godlike status in spite of their mediocrity. Being bad is just that.....you suck. There's an even better way of looking at it to tell the difference. If the musician is bad, no one really cares about them. If they're overrated, they have a lot of potential of being better, but no real definitive attributes to them. They merely do what has already been done before in a slightly different way. Now, if they take the latter suggestion but do something with it that adds a whole new landscape to music, then they are neither.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by StewieSwan
Point proven

that doesnt prove anything!
Quote by Sewn Up
Believe me, I don't think you're looking into this too much. I've noticed how much people have confused overrated with bad as well. IMO being overrated is being either good OR bad at what you do, but appeal to so many people that you reach almost a godlike status in spite of their mediocrity. Being bad is just that.....you suck. There's an even better way of looking at it to tell the difference. If the musician is bad, no one really cares about them. If they're overrated, they have a lot of potential of being better, but no real definitive attributes to them. They merely do what has already been done before in a slightly different way. Now, if they take the latter suggestion but do something with it that adds a whole new landscape to music, then they are neither.

So can we cross Black Sabbath off his list?
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Confusing 'Overrated' With 'Bad'
There should be no confusion.
The little maggots can't get away with saying "This sucks" or "I hate this".
So they use "overrated" instead.

Got it?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
to overrate is to over estimate the merits of something. so while the author is using the term correctly, he also seems to be just blindly thrashing out at popular bands he doesn't like.
Quote by Bleurgh
Almost the exact same thing happened to me except I didn't die .

Quote by Tire Me.

Quote by SteveHouse
2^ What the flying fuck

pack your bags, move to the city.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
There should be no confusion.
The little maggots can't get away with saying "This sucks" or "I hate this".
So they use "overrated" instead.

Got it?

Well i dont confuse the two, it just annoys me when people do =/
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
So can we cross Black Sabbath off his list?

I would, most definitely.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Well i dont confuse the two, it just annoys me when people do =/
Get used to it. They don't "confuse" the two. It's intentional.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
For someone who seems to be so tolerant of everybody's opinions, you seem to be quite the opposite.

Why do you care that some irrelevant reporter believes that overrated also means bad?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
They are overrated, he gives his reason as to why he thinks so.

I happen to agree with them.

This in no way angers or bothers me at all.

That being said ... while I agree overrated doesn't mean bad in itself ... there's nothing to say that something overrated doesn't also suck donkey anus for spare change.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by TEK34
I saw this earlier. It angried up my blood. How's Clapton over-rated? I don't even like his music, but he is a great guitarist.

BRB, going to the angry dome.

The what?

ಠ_ಠ

wat

I'm just honestly surprised I didn't see Radiohead in that list. Yeah, they're great, but they get way too much praise.
Quote by Just Andrew
For someone who seems to be so tolerant of everybody's opinions, you seem to be quite the opposite.

Why do you care that some irrelevant reporter believes that overrated also means bad?

Firstly, your opening sentence doesnt make any sense

However, i do see you point. Well my point was that although i try to be tolerant of peoples opinions, i was stating my annoyance at how people in general mistake (intentionally or not) overrated for bad. The article that sparked this thought is just an example. But if you look all over the internet or discuss music with people you will find the same trend among many people. They will often used the word overrated as extra ammunition in their bashing of a group or musician, regardless of if its true or not. And even if they are, just because the person doesnt like them they cannot use it to express why they are 'bad'
I hate when people think their opinions are facts.

Like somebody just go into a dragonforce song on youtube and says they're overated, just because that he don't like them and thinks that "they speed it up..." and all that BS is an "exscuse" to hate them. If they hate DF and/or other power metal, keep it for themselves, not express it.
Quote by Sawman3
Go die.

Nob Jockey, Jimi Hendrix did write some good songs but he is way overrated as a player. Twat
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I know the difference. Red Hot Chili Peppers are over rated. John Frusciante solo is bad.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jak Archer
Nob Jockey, Jimi Hendrix did write some good songs but he is way overrated as a player. Twat

I personally think that you are a dickface...

How does that make you feel?

edit: I was just kidding.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by Jak Archer

I sort of agree, Jimi Hendrix is titled 'The Greatest Guitar Player Ever' by a lot of people and magazines. But why?

He isn't the most successful, he isn't the fastest (I'm not saying that speed is what makes a player great, I think quite the opposite but I am just saying that there are many faster player), he has a good sound but in my opinion it isn't the best sound. So why is he considered by many to be the best?

I do really like Jimi Hendrix but he isn't the best, infact I don't think that there is a greatest guitarist ever. It's all down to what you like and your opinion.
Quote by jgbsmith

Why do people bitch about IE? I never had problems with it, Firefox is overrated sh*t imo
Page 1 of 2