Poll Options
View poll results: What is true love?
a) True love is an emotion
64 66%
b) True love is an action
33 34%
Voters: 97.
Page 1 of 2
Wanted to get some opinions about it, so what do you believe defines true love?

a) True love is an emotion or a chemical reaction that comes and goes, stays or fades in spite or regardless of our conscious effort. It's whimsical, spontaneous, and subject to change if our desires cease to be met.

b) True love is a choice and an action. It requires constant input and effort to maintain. It's a promise not meant to be broken, which will inevitably demand that you change or compromising some personal desires.

c) There is no third option...it's definitely one of those and can not be both.
**** you man I want C. I'd say 20% A and 80% B.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I say it's an action. Don't actions speak louder than words?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Kensai
**** you man I want C. I'd say 10% A and 90% B.

**** you man I want D. I'd say 10% B and 90% A.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
It's a myth, invented by bank managers to make us all overdrawn.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by Venice King
**** you man I want D. I'd say 10% B and 90% A.

ಠ_ಠ

I voted B.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
its a little of both

sure you can love someone but if you put zero effort into the relationship that love will fade and die as quickly as it came, its team works and requires a lot of time from both parties to make it work, once the chemical romance is gone your left with your own effort to keep it going or not.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
carlsberg has taught me that theres always a C
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
It's definately a bit of both. Although actions speak louder than words, emotions impact you an insane amount.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I vote a.
When you have sex, certain chemicals are released in your brain that makes you think you "love" the person you're having sex with. Therefore, you can love anyone you fancy(and ****).

EDIT:
I guess it's actually both, as having sex is an action.
Last edited by wesselbindt at Aug 19, 2009,
It's an action, I think. We're just humans. Our emotions aren't really all that complex. I don't think there's anything spiritual about it (in the romantic sense of the word); it's biologically motivated.

I think option a) describes infatuation, which we can control less, and b) describes more enduring love, which requires effort.
Last edited by rigiddigits at Aug 19, 2009,
How can someone vote B?

You can try all you want, but if you "lose" a spark or feeling towards your partner, there's no way you can trick yourself to think otherwise.

100% A, 0% B.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by invision2212
its a little of both

sure you can love someone but if you put zero effort into the relationship that love will fade and die as quickly as it came, its team works and requires a lot of time from both parties to make it work, once the chemical romance is gone your left with your own effort to keep it going or not.

/thread
Quote by Kensai
ಠ_ಠ

I voted B.

Aww you edited it now I look stupid
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Kensai
**** you man I want C. I'd say 20% A and 80% B.

I'm with Kensai on this one. the falling in love with chance, it working out is all your actions as a pair.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Just Andrew
How can someone vote B?

You can try all you want, but if you "lose" a spark or feeling towards your partner, there's no way you can trick yourself to think otherwise.

100% A, 0% B.

This is so untrue it hurts.
Quote by wesselbindt
I vote a.
When you have sex, certain chemicals are released in your brain that makes you think you "love" the person you're having sex with. Therefore, you can love anyone you fancy(and ****).

EDIT:
I guess it's actually both, as having sex is an action.

True love =/= sex.
Quote by Splashed
I believe love a relationship needs attention and work but I don't believe love attraction is a choice.
Fixed?
Quote by StewieSwan
This is so untrue it hurts.
Please elaborate.

I'm not being condescending or anything, but I'm curious why so many people believe you can force yourself to stay in love, or fall in love.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by Just Andrew
Please elaborate.

I'm not being condescending or anything, but I'm curious why so many people believe you can force yourself to stay in love, or fall in love.

Everybody loses that 'spark'. In fact, we have a ceremony for it. It's called marriage. That does not mean you cease to love the person.
Quote by StewieSwan
Everybody loses that 'spark'. In fact, we have a ceremony for it. It's called marriage. That does not mean you cease to love the person.
Then why divorce?
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
Then why divorce?

That's completely irrelevant and you know it
Quote by denizenz
True love =/= sex.

I don't think there is such a thing as true love.

edit:
Quote by StewieSwan

Well your post was about marriage, and 1/3 of marriages today phail epicly, so I think it's pretty relevant. Besides, not all married couples lose that "spark"(I think).
Last edited by wesselbindt at Aug 19, 2009,
i hate 12 years old saying they are in love
i just go dont you mean lust?
then walk away like **** yeah!
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by wesselbindt

Then it's a good thing that he established that true love =/= to sex or you wouldn't believe in sex!
Quote by rigiddigits
Fixed?

Somewhat. Love is no choice, you can't help it. Neither is attraction, you're right.
I suppose I more or less meant a relationship needs attention and work. Why else would you be in a serious relationship without love? That's why i said love
Quote by denizenz
My wife and I experience true love for one another. Let me tell you...it requires more effort than anything I've ever accomplished.

I'm not interested in an internet catfight, and the fact that you've got a wife makes you more experienced on the subject. After all, you can tell if you're experiencing true love, right?
'True love' requires maintenance, I don't think it's an out-and-out emotion. I agree with rigid that most the emotional side is infatuation and that our emotions are really not that complex.
signature
Quote by wesselbindt

edit:

Well your post was about marriage, and 1/3 of marriages today phail epicly, so I think it's pretty relevant. Besides, not all married couples lose that "spark"(I think).

So you're saying that because some marriages fail, that means every married couple no longer love eachother?
Quote by StewieSwan
No, it's relevant.

You brought up an interesting point before. That maybe people don't ever stop loving each other, even if they lose that "spark." But then what would you classify as a "spark?" Isn't the "spark" love itself? If you truly loved someone and even thought of each other as "soul-mates", then I believe you never actually lose that spark. It's a feeling you get through no effort at all.

And for those who think they're in love, especially those who WANT to be rather than just feel it, they're the type of people who get married, then divorce later.
Quote by Teh Forest King
There is no such thing as true love, there is simply a number of different types of love, all of which exist at different time and many combinations if them at the same time. A long term relationship does require work though.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 2