Well, I just purchased an upright bass down in London Ont. a week or so ago.
Problem is, I need to order a case for it, but I'm not sure if it's a 3/4 or 4/4 body.

Can somebody give me a reference for what size I'm looking for?

From what I can tell, it's a standard size bass (not with me, Im moving down to toronto and will pick it up).

I'm pretty sure the standard's 3/4, no?
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I do believe the standard is 7/8, you must be crazy.

never seen a 3/4 in my life, what do they play like?

:P yeah, 3/4 is the standard. 4/4 is pretty big I hear.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
you need to be of gargantuan size to use one I hear.

no, I don't mean in the pants.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you're under 6'5" and can play your upright standing, it's 3/4 scale.

EDIT: Also, I win: http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/2-SIZES_DOUBLE_BASS_SIZING_FAQ.html

DOUBLE EDIT: I plan on getting a 4/4 bass as my next big investment. I played a few at a store and it's just PERFECT for me. I just hope I can find one with a managable string length (the actual length of the string doesn't have to change that much, regardless of what the 'scale' of the bass is).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 19, 2009,
ok, cool.

thanks.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
3/4 is standard? i prefer 4/4, I don't like the stands on 3/4s and i just generally enjoy the hugeness of a 4/4
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
3/4 is standard? i prefer 4/4, I don't like the stands on 3/4s and i just generally enjoy the hugeness of a 4/4

boy you trippin.

I can't play that thing.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

WTF!!!
All my life I had been thinking 4/4 is standard size for all instruments.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
All my life I had been thinking 4/4 is standard size for all instruments.

+1
i was looking through this thread with "WTF" expression on my face
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Yeah, playing electric fretted instruments your entire life will do that to you.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have a 4/4 cello.
Is that standard size?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
I have a 4/4 cello.
Is that standard size?

I would believe so. for bass, the standard is short scale because it's so damn big.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

if you 8'9 with 9 inch fingers than the 4/4 should be just the rght size. if your not a giant, than get an 3/4.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Or in my case a 1/2, which fits my size rather nicely. I'm actually looking at a better student model in the future in that size.
Just wondering, does a cello have the same lowest note as an electic bass, and an upright bass goes an octave lower, or am I off?
Quote by herby190
Just wondering, does a cello have the same lowest note as an electric bass, and an upright bass goes an octave lower, or am I off?

Cellos are tuned to fifths, rather than fourths, so it would be different.
Quote by Canadian_basser
Cellos are tuned to fifths, rather than fourths, so it would be different.

Oh, right, I forgot, GDAE..... where does the lowest G show up on our fretboard, if at all?
Quote by herby190
Oh, right, I forgot, GDAE..... where does the lowest G show up on our fretboard, if at all?

Mate, its CGDA.

C would be played on the 3rd fret A string or 8th fret E string.

Cellos sound one octave higher than a bass ... just guessed that, hope its right.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by herby190
Just wondering, does a cello have the same lowest note as an electic bass, and an upright bass goes an octave lower, or am I off?
Woah, no. Upright bass is the same as bass guitar. An octave lower?! That seriously would blow my mind. That's like 40 Hz! Wow!
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
boy you trippin.

I can't play that thing.

lol, you do a lotta them trippin jokes (notice signature)

How are they hard to play?? I've never used a 3/4 they look funky to me because they have that stand out of the body, so 4/4 seems natural to me.
Try adding more delay.
Last edited by telecastrmastr at Aug 19, 2009,
Wow, 40Hz. That open E string is just mind blowing in its hundred of years of tradition.

The only notes lower on a bass than on a cello are positions 1 and 2 on the A string, and positions 1 thru 5 on the E. Some basses have a C extension which allows the low E string to become a C string, making it a full octave below a cello.

4/4s are tough but not impossible. It's perfect for my 6'7" frame (although I probably clock in at 6'5" or so when I'm in a relaxed playing position), and my fingers are long enough to use all 4 fingers on the 42.5" scale fingerboards I've played on. Thats right - I don't need Simandl even on 4/4s. I'm not recommending everyone try it, but they're not too impossible. However some 4/4s have crazy long scale lengths, so we'll see.

And telecastrmastr, I have no freaking clue what you're going on about. What stand!?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
^ isn't it the strength, not the length of the finger that matters?
Last edited by Halakar at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Halakar
^ isn't it the strength, not the length of the finger that matters?

Well, you need strong fingers to play the instrument, period. But using all 4 fingers isn't really possible for a lot of people simply because they can't reach.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Well, you need strong fingers to play the instrument, period. But using all 4 fingers isn't really possible for a lot of people simply because they can't reach.

Ok. So having heard of people screwing up their hands from using all four is that they're overreaching, or am I completely off?
you use three fingers with the left hand and one or two with the right hand. the ring finger on the left hand is used to reinforce your pinky on the lower register. when you move up the neck around the 10th 12th fret the ring finger can be used instead of the pinky. then there's thumb position.....
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by Halakar
Ok. So having heard of people screwing up their hands from using all four is that they're overreaching, or am I completely off?

If you're feeling lots of pain, stop. If you have hands that are large, stretchy, and strong enough to be able to play 4 positions without moving your hand, go for it.

For first position I use index/middle/pinkie just to not wear out my hand, but 3rd position and on I can use all 4 fingers. I have no fancy method for thumb position however.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Now I want a massive 4/4 upright bass because of you Maybe my armspan being longer than my height along with playing bass is some kind of message
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by thefitz
If you're feeling lots of pain, stop. If you have hands that are large, stretchy, and strong enough to be able to play 4 positions without moving your hand, go for it.

For first position I use index/middle/pinkie just to not wear out my hand, but 3rd position and on I can use all 4 fingers. I have no fancy method for thumb position however.

Ok, thanks for the clearing up.

^If you wanna go for massive, try a 5/4ths.
Last edited by Halakar at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by Halakar
Ok, thanks for the clearing up.

^If you wanna go for massive, try a 5/4ths.

I knew there would be something bigger
Speaking of such, does anyone know of a good brand of double basses? I've been interested in playing one since I first picked up an electric bass
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
I knew there would be something bigger
Speaking of such, does anyone know of a good brand of double basses? I've been interested in playing one since I first picked up an electric bass

A good brand is anything generally speaking 3+ grand. With some exceptions on lower range models with good setups.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Thegian
Mate, its CGDA.

C would be played on the 3rd fret A string or 8th fret E string.

Cellos sound one octave higher than a bass ... just guessed that, hope its right.

I don't think you can play a C on the 8th fret of the E string on a bass and match the notes as far as the octave goes... it's still an octave too low unless i'm mistaken, and i play cello and bass.
Yes, you're mistaken.
Quote by Cody_Grey102