Hello UG

I had an vox AD15vt for about 2½ year now.. the amp is sort of a hybrid of solid-state / tube amp .. anyway it has this one tube, that i read in another thread that you should replace it about every 1 - 2 years .. with regular use.

So; how do i replace the thing? there is no page in the manual about this topic, so I thought that maybe someone could give me a good link to an article or a youtube film about it?

Also, what should i replace it with? it says it has a 12AX7 tube, but since i don't have any experience with tube amps, i really have no idea about what is good or bad for my style: I have a mexican fender strat with some pickups that is not very "hot" .. i play jazz / hard rock / metal style sort of a lot proggresive stuff, also i like to shred alot. I also Own a Boss digital delay and to different distortion pedals, so any recommendations on tubes to buy?

Thanks
/ Rasmus
Dutc tape solves all up to equations of 4. degree

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
You don't need to change the tube in these amps, and it doesn't matter what tube you use, it will sound the same.

These amps don't use their tube like a real all tube amp. It should never have to be replaced.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
It's a pre amp tube, the 12ax7. It's very unlikely, but certainly possible, that it is going out. Power amp tubes should be replaced every couple years. Pre-amp tubes like the 12ax7 you have can last a lifetime. I doubt it needs to be changed.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Although the tube IS in the power amp...

But as I already said, it won't need replacing ever probably.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
okay, are you sure? anyway how will i know IF it need to be replaced?
the thing i have with my amp, is that i think it is very "silent" and do not have a very long sustain no matter how i change the settings.. i have played a lot of other amps with my own guitar, also which i know is cheaper than mine, so even though my guitar has very weak pickups, i still think that it sounds like my amp i s not working perfect..
Dutc tape solves all up to equations of 4. degree

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
remove back cover and chassis screws, pull out chassis and the tube is right there.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
Quote by Sampy
Although the tube IS in the power amp...

But as I already said, it won't need replacing ever probably.

you can put it anywhere you want, location doesnt change the fact that its a 12ax7... TS, change it out and see what you get. $12 is about the cost, wont hurt anything.