Im lookin for new bands with innovative guitar playing, that dont do the same things. Mainly bands that play progressive music. I like things like Dream Theater, Protest The Hero, and Steve Vai. But i dont want strictly metal, i enjoy classical guitar annd rock too. So what are some bands that are actually changing it up?

EDIT: Also, they dont just have to be new, i like 70's and 80's and stuff.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Last edited by Dimefan69 at Aug 19, 2009,
the fall of troy early cds like the self titled and doppelgangers, and tera melos "drugs to the dear youth" are good cd's to check out
oh and veil of maya is metal, but their guitarist plays some pretty unique stuff
Nevermore, Symphony X, Racer X and Guthrie Govan, all very cool and very unique.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
Mars Volta, Muse, emm.. all I can think of the top of my head
Does it offend you, yeah?
Adagio's Stephan Forte and Buckethead.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Andy Mckee and John5
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by sigur_ros6
the fall of troy early cds like the self titled and doppelgangers, and tera melos "drugs to the dear youth" are good cd's to check out

Tera Melos's "Untitled" album is AMAZING. It's the one with the headless guys holding chainsaws.
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Hey I said this once
You might not be into folk but you should give Jose Gonzalez a listen. he is an extremely talented guitarist as well as a vocalist
Sonic Youth: both Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore are great with drum sticks on their guitars
John 5's solo stuff is pretty unique, mixing metal and bluegrass-y riffs and passages. Kaki King is another amazing and diverse solo guitarist, doing everything from lap-steel, acoustic, even some Indie-style songs. Fall of Troy stuff is pretty crazy, considering its a power trio, and Thomas Erak also sings. Circa Survive's guitar players do some pretty different guitar work in their songs, mostly melodic riffing, altho they are pretty mellow most of the time. Dance Gavin Dance kinda does the same thing, only faster and heavier.
Jazz / rock : Allan Holdsworth, uber cool and oldschool.
Jazz / rock / alternative whatever : Shawn Lane, died some years ago in young age, but he is very good, best guitarist ever, technically he makes john petrucci and that folk look like kids, and he also have a lot of piano influences so he has a pretty weird style, CHECK OUT!
Dutc tape solves all up to equations of 4. degree

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Tera Melos's "Untitled" album is AMAZING. It's the one with the headless guys holding chainsaws.

yeah it is. I have that cd as well. I just think drugs is a little more accessible to the first time listener.

How do you feel about all the covers they have been doing?
Quote by qotsa1998
John 5's solo stuff is pretty unique, mixing metal and bluegrass-y riffs and passages. Kaki King is another amazing and diverse solo guitarist, doing everything from lap-steel, acoustic, even some Indie-style songs. Fall of Troy stuff is pretty crazy, considering its a power trio, and Thomas Erak also sings. Circa Survive's guitar players do some pretty different guitar work in their songs, mostly melodic riffing, altho they are pretty mellow most of the time. Dance Gavin Dance kinda does the same thing, only faster and heavier.

circa's "on letting go" had some incredible guitar parts.
I don't know about dance gavin dance doing anything new though. Although the new intro nasa is pretty good, they kind of lost their touch guitar wise
Quote by Roopelatvalafan
Jazz / rock : Allan Holdsworth, uber cool and oldschool.
Jazz / rock / alternative whatever : Shawn Lane, died some years ago in young age, but he is very good, best guitarist ever, technically he makes john petrucci and that folk look like kids, and he also have a lot of piano influences so he has a pretty weird style, CHECK OUT!

i just check out shawn lane for the first time...wow. He was incredible.
classic era cryptopsy.

Jon Levasseur was a genius.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
You should definitely check out the Mars Volta, My Bloody Valenitne, and King Crimson.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Rage Against the Machine
The Pixies -well not that innovative but Joey Santiago has a kind of a mix between pop, spanish music, and punk (depends on the song.)
Dead Kennedys- punk, surf, jazz, and western soundtracks. How could that not work?
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by sigur_ros6
yeah it is. I have that cd as well. I just think drugs is a little more accessible to the first time listener.

How do you feel about all the covers they have been doing?

I'm not into the covers at all actually.
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Hey I said this once
Kamelot, Wolf Hoffmann album "classical", Accept, Stratovarius, Helloween first and last albums, Judas Priest, Yngwie Malmseen.
Quote by Death_To_Emo
I'm not into the covers at all actually.

yeah me neither buddy. There isn't a single tapped note on the entire album, and the singing is pretty terrible.
If you like progressive stuff, Rush might be your cup of tea.
"Music is all about wanting to be better at it."

~Geddy Lee

Quote by titsmcgee852
Hahaha. Probably the best post i've seen from an 08'er.

He was talking about me.
Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine, John Frusciante from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dimebag Darrell (r.i.p.) from Pantera and Damageplan really took the wiggle stick to a whole new level, and.....I guess Eddie Van Halen is pretty innovative, what with the whole two hand tapping. But I guess that technique got used more than a forced meme
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Umphrey's McGee
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by simpleben09
Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine, John Frusciante from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dimebag Darrell (r.i.p.) from Pantera and Damageplan really took the wiggle stick to a whole new level, and.....I guess Eddie Van Halen is pretty innovative, what with the whole two hand tapping. But I guess that technique got used more than a forced meme

Dimebag was not innovative at all, and Van Halen did not invent the tapping technique.

although, I guess Van Halen did innovate the technique
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Check out Blank Generation by Richard Hell & The Voidoids. Robert Quine's guitar playing on that album is the most interesting I've ever heard.
Quote by romencer17
Dimebag was not innovative at all, and Van Halen did not invent the tapping technique.

although, I guess Van Halen did innovate the technique

okay, so maybe van halen didnt invent two hand tapping, but at the least he's the one who made it popular on electric guitar. and yes, dimebag was inventive with his whammy bar/ harmonics technique
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09