http://www.breaksilencerecordings.com/contest.html

Look where it says the band will be judged by their image/look

Since when has music been about what you look like?

I'm sure this can't be entirely bad though. As long as a bunch of Attack Attack! type bands don't show up. Otherwise bands who make good music may as well just not sign up.
I've never heard of this record company...or the band Eyes set to kill. Hopefully I never will again.
They're trying to be Victory, but worse...
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
The bands will be judged on the quality of their songs, their image/look, the bands live show, Audience participation and their local draw. They will be judged by BreakSilence and the audience.

Its not like its entirely a beauty contest. A band's look is all part of the package. I mean, how is a record label going to sign a band (which is what this contest is about) if the band doesnt even look like a collective group of people?
Quote by One on Sunday
Its not like its entirely a beauty contest. A band's look is all part of the package. I mean, how is a record label going to sign a band (which is what this contest is about) if the band doesnt even look like a collective group of people?

I know right? how are you supposed to keep track of all the members if they don't all share a suitable style?

I wouldn't sign a band that didn't have a particular fashion to go along with their music, no matter how good they are as musicians. In order for the band to be marketable, you need not only a hip sound, but a look that listeners can attribute to the band, and say: "ah yes, I remember that band, they really stood out."

that's why all those death metal bands never got famous! it's all a bunch of ugly ass dudes who don't know how to dress right, of course no one is gonna listen to them!
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Whatever, the scenefags will soon be forgotten.

When's the last time someone mentioned hed PE or Papa Roach?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Well, not since 2002-2004. Let's face it, crap is quickly forgotten.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
If cheerio boxes had a picture of **** and a gigantic phallus, would you still buy them?
Quote by Montag00
If cheerio boxes had a picture of **** and a gigantic phallus, would you still buy them?

if they tasted like gummi worms I would
Quote by technicolour
if they tasted like gummi worms I would

Possibly.

But what I was trying to say was that a record label is a business, and their goal is to sell and promote their product, in this case, the band. And to do that they invest a significant amount of money and effort into a band, and if theyre going to make that investment, they need to make sure that the band presents themselves as a band. That is to say, they have a 'look'.

And they are most certainly not 'ruining music'. No one is forcing you to join that record label, hell if you wanted to you could just release your music yourself.

Its just a record label doing business, as they have for a century now. Nothing new.
Quote by Montag00
Possibly.

But what I was trying to say was that a record label is a business, and their goal is to sell and promote their product, in this case, the band. And to do that they invest a significant amount of money and effort into a band, and if theyre going to make that investment, they need to make sure that the band presents themselves as a band. That is to say, they have a 'look'.

And they are most certainly not 'ruining music'. No one is forcing you to join that record label, hell if you wanted to you could just release your music yourself.

Its just a record label doing business, as they have for a century now. Nothing new.

I never looked it that way. I thought they just wanted to sign a bunch of scene kids with instruments.
Quote by Montag00
Possibly.

I know it's a business, that still doesn't make me like it. Any band that wants to try out for something like this, well I won't stop them, but I'd like to think they wouldn't jeopardize their music's integrity to it.

Especially since this is in the hardcore forum...

It's sad that a band has to be marketed with a flashy style and retarded hair in order to make them a cut above other bands, but I guess the consumer is as much to blame as the business man.
Last edited by technicolour at Aug 20, 2009,