So I made a small portion of a song. It has a guitar, bass and drum track. It is a reaper project file (.RPP) and I was wondering if anyone would want to help me eq it.

http://www.2shared.com/file/7274476/3fee70cb/Help_me_eq.html

the link is at the bottom of the page

But yeah, for all you EQ gods out there, Would anyone want to eq the tracks to give me a good picture of how this could sound like after some good EQing is done?

When I try to eq I really have no idea what I am doing, nor do I have any idea what I am trying to look for. So if some of you all could mess with some things and attach the file so I can see it that would be great!

If not, could you atleast give me tips on what to boost and what to cut etc.

Thanks
Last edited by bboyjon at Aug 19, 2009,
There's more to mixing than EQ you know! Anyway, I'm really a beginner at mixing, but this looked fun so I gave it a shot. Here's what I did.

First, if you're making a song out of this you will have to, and I mean have to rerecord everything. All the tracks are out of time with each other. Secondly it would have been easier if the drums had been on separate tracks... because they aren't I had to practically ditch the kick.

Guitar

First the guitars. I set a highpass filter to 100Hz to keep some room for the bass (if I was rerecording this I wouldn't use such a bassy guitar tone). I boosted the 100-200Hz range to give it more body and warmth, and gave the 2-4kHz area a boost to give it bite and bring it forward in the mix. No problems here.

Bass

Now the bass. First a pretty harsh compressor to even it out and create a more rounded sound. Again I filtered out stuff below 40Hz because... Actually I think I was going to stick the kick in the 20-40Hz range, but that never came to be.

I then boosted the 50-150Hz range. This was a though one - usually you'd do more complex EQing if you wanted the bass to stand out, but the guitar was taking up a lot of the mid-high mid range so I had to keep the bass part quiet around there.

Drums

Now this was a bit weird, because there are so many drums in there. The kick was a lost cause, too crowded in the low-mid range. If I had had the kick part on it's own I would have pushed it down to the sub-bass range, so it doesn't interfere with the bass - otherwise you might try sidechaining to duck the bass whenever the kick plays.

I boosted the 5kHz range as you can see to add some shimmer to those cymbals, and boosted around 2kHz to try to fix the toms. Didn't work fantastically, so I stuck a softclipper after the EQ. Finally I used a stereo widening plugin to pan the drums away from the centre, and moved it before the EQ.

In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have boosted so much...

Mixdown: http://drop.io/unionofv/asset/help-me-eq-wav

Here's a great EQing aid: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
This is exactly the type of stuff I am looking for! Just examples of how others would eq

The drum thing is the hard part. I have a yamaha dd-65 that I use (tabletop e-drums) so I can't split each pad to record seperately, it all records onto one track.
1 track drums isn't a terrible thing, you just don't get to tweek the sound as much as V wanted to
Yeah, if anything it makes it easier for me. I just stay happy with the drums with only minor editing
V's idea is pretty much how I'd do it, my approach would be abit more nooby though ;D

V, what plugin for the EQ / mixing program you using?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Union Of V - The kick at 20-40hz!?

99.9999% of listeners won't have the speakers to reproduce that. And I'm betting NOBODY on UG has the kit to accurately monitor that.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Union Of V
The kick was a lost cause, too crowded in the low-mid range. If I had had the kick part on it's own I would have pushed it down to the sub-bass range, so it doesn't interfere with the bass - otherwise you might try sidechaining to duck the bass whenever the kick plays.

I know this is a thread about EQ but like you said, there's more to a mix than that. Did you try a multi-band compressor to bring out the kick a bit? I would suggest running the drum track to an AUX and filtering out pretty much everything above 150-200Hz to see if you can get a decent trigger for some side-chaining work on the bass (always a good idea in cluttered mixes). In this case it probably wouldn't help much since the bass and guitar playing is decidedly lax and out of time for the most part.

I wouldn't have boosted so much in the various bands, you'd get a much more "natural" result (although natural might not be what the mix requires). If you'd cut various things out of other instruments instead. The massive boost in the 100-200Hz on the guitars for instance is a bit much and pretty much in a frequency range that you normally don't need a lot of information from a guitar especially since the bass takes up a lot of that space even in your re-mix.

And just to sound like an old broken record, mixing is about more than EQ. Just running things through a compressor plugin with a relatively mild setting will affect tone and can make things fit in better.

Could the original poster, or Union of V, post an mp3 of the original "mix" so that those of us who don't use Reaper can hear what's going on and how Union of V's work compares? I'm especially interested in hearing how the guitar tone sounded. And that being said I would like to say that the recording here doesn't suffer from the mix, the performance is the real culprit here. I don't care if this is just an attempt to learn a thing or two about mixing, unless you record things well there's no need to bother with the mix. Performance always comes first; no mix in the world can fix a lackluster recording.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
The plugin is Electri-Q, free version comes with Computer Music, I think it's officially payware though.

I agree that it's *very* low. I'm used to mixing electronic music, which is why I'm used to having a sub-bass kick locking into a basic bass line, so you get the thump from the kick emphasising the simple bass part. Thanks for reminding me that it won't work with rockish stuff

To ebon00 - I would have tried to filter off the kick but unfortunately the toms go a lot lower down than you'd think. Maybe with a bit more time I'd have managed it, but the entire mix was done in about 5-10mins.

I definitively agree with the excessive boosting, as I said at the end of my post. Yet another case of not thinking before mixing As for the 100-200Hz boost, this was to ensure that the guitars didn't sound too thin. With more parts I could have restricted the guitar's frequency range a good bit more, but in such a sparse arrangment I felt it was very obvious. In hindsight I really should have panned bass a bit to the right, guitars a bit to the left and put together my own kick in centre maybe?

Compressors, compressors... A -15db 2:1 compressor on the master channel turns everything into dance music btw But I'm not a massive compression fan, except for individual drums. I understand though that compression's important for recorded guitar, especially rhythm guitar?

I can't mixdown the original, but the zip the OP uploaded contains the wav files so you could put those together.

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciated.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.