Hey guys I was playing my Mesa Roadster today and I noticed only on channel 2 and 4 I get volume drops. I know volume drops are due to the power tubes failing, but could this be worse that it only happens on these two channels? Just wondering what you guys think.. Thanks & Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Uppp.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Wow really are you for sure?

Quote by tr3nt

This is a total sign of power tube failure. I would change the preamps also if they're old or due.
Quote by tr3nt
It's hard to say for sure, but it would be my best guess and here is why... (see below)
Quote by TheEsupremacy
This is a total sign of power tube failure. I would change the preamps also if they're old or due.
No it is not. All it is is a sign of tube failure.

Tube failure is not always immediately noticeable, there will be tell tale signs that a tube is on it's way out, but it's also a very gradual process. First off... not all the channels share the same signal chain, however all the channels share the same power section (PI and power tubes), so if the volume is dropping out on only certain channels, then it is not indicative of power tube failure. It's much more likely there is a preamp tube failure somewhere in the signal chain of those two channels.

The audio signs of failing power and preamp tubes can be very similar, odd noises, volume cuts, and bad tone in general, but in your case, it really sounds more like a preamp tube issue. Switching out preamp tubes is relatively cheap and easy. The typical signs that people look for in failing power tubes are blown HT fuses and redplating.
What have people tubed their Mesa Recto's with?

I went with some Ruby 6l6's and an assortment of preamps suggested by doug at dougs tubes but i've only got them 5 months ago or so and they have failed already =\.

Edit; I don't turn it up and drive the tubes too often either.