Page 1 of 4
Well here comes quiet a rant. This is about a show i went to last night. I went to see my old band who is becoming pretty popular. There name is Fell Through the Sky. They play with bands like Texas in July and I Am Terrified.

They were the first band up and it was outrageous how bad there sound was. They one guitarist has a B-52 head and he hates the distortion so he went and got a Boss Metalcore pedal and runs it though the clean with his Sonic Maximizer. NO MIDS AT ALL..

The Next guitarist had a Dual Recto. I was like alright well maybe this might be nice.

He was playing for a while and i really liked his sound...but then he too pulled out a Maximizer and scooped his mids as well..I wanted to go over there and punch him. They are both good players and they know how to shred but when you really can't setup your amp correctly it really can draw away a crowd. They even played in their/my hometown and no one was up there except maybe two or three people moshing..It was really bad.

Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
true, it annoys the hell out of me when people say tone is in your fingers, complete BS, when i play through different setups i have my same style and feel, but different tone. And scooped mids blow too, hahaha!!
Quote by Chad11491
true, it annoys the hell out of me when people say tone is in your fingers, complete BS

Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
scooped mids? jeez, they're everywhere.

I absolutely hate scooped mids unless they're in the context of really heavy death metal, then I can tolerate it.

and its somewhat true, I mean the tone in your fingers. it's just how much of "you" is in the tone IMO.
well, thats what you get with tone noobs, they think "br00talz mid scooping" then proceed with mas amounts of suckage in their tone
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
ever noticed the people who say all the tone is in your fingers have really nice amps?
coincidence i think not
yay people who can't start scooped mids
i love really punchy mids its really nice for rhythm riffs i think
Quote by AvengedFoghat
scooped mids? jeez, they're everywhere.

I absolutely hate scooped mids unless they're in the context of really heavy death metal, then I can tolerate it.

and its somewhat true, I mean the tone in your fingers. it's just how much of "you" is in the tone IMO.

+1
The "tone in your fingers" can't compensate for a poor mix, even if you're Eddie Van Halen. Great players can generate great sounds from even the crappiest setups, but it must be at least EQ'd for best results. If you let a jackass EQ his sound, it will sound like ass.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
All the people who gig around me have Spider's. We inevitably have to mic them because the squeel feedback when you turn them up past 3 is unbearable. And the clipping from the PA sounds a bit better than their distortion also.

I didn't check their settings, probably scooped mids too though XD
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Tone is in the fingers, EQing is different. A ****ty amp with proper EQing and a great player will sound just fine, whereas an amazing amp with proper EQing and a ****ty player will sound ****ty.

**** up the EQing and you'll sound like butthole either way.
WTLTL 2011
guys, true tone comes from the studio
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
My mids are on 8, suck it.
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Not everyone plays metal
Well i'm not saying that none of the tone comes from the fingers. I'm just saying what everyone else is saying. ****ty EQ = Bad sound no matter what.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
My opinion on the "tone comes from your fingers" thing is following:

Good tone doesn't really come from the fingers. That what comes from the fingers is the skill and that what the person is playing. Sure, if the person who is playing can't play well and makes lots of mistakes, it will sound crappy.
You can have the skills of EVH and MAB all together but plug a crap guitar into a crap amp, start playing (probably also EQ the amp badly) and you won't get a good tone.
Also someone who has played guitar for 2 years and plugs in a Gibson SG into a Marshall JMP and plays Highway To Hell will get a better tone than Angus himself playing a Walmart-guitar and amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Sonic Maximizers are win, scooped mids are fail.

My mids are usually somewhere between 75 and 95%, boosted mids ftw.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by imicius
My mids are on 9. Hah. Take that, metal players.

Coolstorybro.

I have my mids set to full and my bass an treble set to half. I run two amps, one of which has a huge low mid boost, and the other of which has huge high mids. And then I boost the mids with an overdrive.

I have a lot of mids.
Quote by imicius
My mids are on 9. Hah. Take that, metal players.

That sounds very agreeable for playing metal to me. I don't get it.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by StratMaster2

+1
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I know a guy, who has this age old Strat plugged into a Trainwreck clone, he sounds like CRAP because his timing and pick attack are horrible, it's like half the note is muted and he just rushes so fast it sounds like crap.

Tone can't be mesured with numbers or ratios...
Last edited by stykerwolf at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by JesusCrisp
My opinion on the "tone comes from your fingers" thing is following:

Good tone doesn't really come from the fingers. That what comes from the fingers is the skill and that what the person is playing. Sure, if the person who is playing can't play well and makes lots of mistakes, it will sound crappy.
You can have the skills of EVH and MAB all together but plug a crap guitar into a crap amp, start playing (probably also EQ the amp badly) and you won't get a good tone.
Also someone who has played guitar for 2 years and plugs in a Gibson SG into a Marshall JMP and plays Highway To Hell will get a better tone than Angus himself playing a Walmart-guitar and amp.

Until Angus starts soloing....

But you're again saying to EQ the amp badly, which is why you can't cut through a mix. If EVH plugged into a Wal-Mart guitar & amp, I GUARANTEE that he would sound better than any of us ever could if we were playing through a Soldano stack.
Players at that level can adapt to whatever crap guitar or tone they have at hand, & get the best possible tone out of it. That doesn't mean EVH could play Eruption on the crap rig & make it sound like his stage rig, but it would still be amazing. Every year I go to NAMM in Anaheim (gigantic music industry trade show), & see dozens of the greatest pro level players doing demos of all kinds of gear. While the tone may not be great on some of the gear, these guys will make you marvel at their skills, & they can make the sh!t sound so good that you'll want to buy it!

Edit: Basically, I'm saying great players DO have tone in their fingers, because they can create the ILLUSION of great tone by using dynamics to their advantage.
Hope that makes sense..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU
Sonic Maximizers are win, scooped mids are fail.

+1

back when I was a noob i used to scoop my mids, but now, theyre up high
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
This has become the, "I LOVE HAVING MY MIDS UP AT 8,9 or 10 THREAD!"

But I have to agree, I have my mids pretty high, around 7 most of the time.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
TS: Cool story, bro.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Having mids up at 8-9 means nothing if your amp sounds naturally fairly scooped. I've got all my settings at 50% except presence which is at 40%.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by StratMaster2

yeah if your studio(dragon)force
Quote by Mark G
Having mids up at 8-9 means nothing if your amp sounds naturally fairly scooped.

This is very true. Some amps are so middy that they need to have the mids lower then others.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
How you fret, and more importantly, how you pick, have a huge effect on your tone. You can try to fool yourself into thinking it's all in the gear, but if you don't understand how your technique affects your tone, your tone will suffer for it.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Well it just sounded like outright **** lol...at least the other bands had a good pronounced sound.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by riffhog
Until Angus starts soloing....

But you're again saying to EQ the amp badly, which is why you can't cut through a mix. If EVH plugged into a Wal-Mart guitar & amp, I GUARANTEE that he would sound better than any of us ever could if we were playing through a Soldano stack.
Players at that level can adapt to whatever crap guitar or tone they have at hand, & get the best possible tone out of it. That doesn't mean EVH could play Eruption on the crap rig & make it sound like his stage rig, but it would still be amazing. Every year I go to NAMM in Anaheim (gigantic music industry trade show), & see dozens of the greatest pro level players doing demos of all kinds of gear. While the tone may not be great on some of the gear, these guys will make you marvel at their skills, & they can make the sh!t sound so good that you'll want to buy it!

Edit: Basically, I'm saying great players DO have tone in their fingers, because they can create the ILLUSION of great tone by using dynamics to their advantage.
Hope that makes sense..

IMO that what you are talking about is skill.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
you make my head hurt

HIS NAME IS DAVID GILMOUR LOOK IT UP
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
This is true Gilmour as master tonez
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Random point:

The best EVH tone ive heard not from the Man himself was from a 15 watt marshall MG with a guitar with EMG's.

Why?

The guy playing spent 20 years learning EVH's pick attack and other nuances.

Fingers make a great deal of difference, but gear can help, or hurt.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by GezzyDiversion
its a balance between the two IMO.

Somehow I dont think Whole lotta love would have sounded as powerful through a Squier strat and a Fender Frontman 15 amp..

I agree.

good gear+good player=good sound
good gear+bad player=bad sound
bad gear+sensible settings+good player=the illusion of a good sound
bad gear+bad settings+good/bad player=bad no matter what

I make the amps I used to think were sucky sound not so bad now. People who can't tell the difference hear me play and say it sounds good. Someone else who is bad plays the same thing and it sucks. This rant is fail.
Last edited by sg4ever at Aug 19, 2009,
*I'M* outraged at your poor grammar....

Most tone comes from the amp (first circuitry and EQ, then tubes and speakers), then the player, then guitar and pickups, and everything else.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Page 1 of 4