could someone please breakdown for me how to hook up the following correctly. im confused as to effect loops, pre amp, and "up front". im completely green when it comes to tech stuff/terms and i just want to be sure im hooking things up properly.
guitar, amp (krank rev), cab, tuner, isp desimator pedal, overdrive pedal, and im thinking about adding an eq.

thank you guys so much
This is how I'd do it:
Guitar->Tuner->Decimator->Over Drive Pedal->Amp->Cab

You have no time based pedals (eg delay or chorus) so there is no need for the effects loop.

But it all goes down to personal preference, play around and see what you like
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
there is also diagrams of famous guitarist's rig online. if you're ever in doubt of how or where to hook things up then just look them up and see all the different variations people use.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/119/
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by LifesSweetDrug
This is how I'd do it:
Guitar->Tuner->Decimator->Over Drive Pedal->Amp->Cab

You have no time based pedals (eg delay or chorus) so there is no need for the effects loop.

But it all goes down to personal preference, play around and see what you like

The decimator before OD pedal? Kinda strange but each his own. I usually do this variation but just flip OD and Decimator
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
The decimator before OD pedal? Kinda strange but each his own. I usually do this variation but just flip OD and Decimator

Well I've never really used a noise gate and everyone seems to have a different place for it, so whatever goes.
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
so the effects loop is for time based pedals ONLY? i should just use the main input on the front of the amp?

is this way of hooking things up considered a "loop" and would this be described as "up front"?
Last edited by bigcrushjake at Aug 21, 2009,
I use the FX Loop for my delay pedal and my wah pedal. My distortion and Whammy pedal go in front of the amp.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ