Hey - I've been playing guitar for about half a year now, and over the last few weeks started dabbling more with theory, trying to learn the notes, reading about intervals scales etc

I dont know much, just the basic C minor and the general 'jist' of theory with harmony etc, and I was at a mates yesterday and just started messing around on his piano. I'd never really used one before apart from in school when I had no interest in music and just hit a bunch of keys like any other kid...but I found that I could actually translate some of the riffs / songs I knew on guitar to the piano quite easily, and after doing that I could remember the notes better.

Just wondering if this is quite a common thing? I mean it makes sense why that would happen, and it seems like if I invested in an electric keyboard or something in addition to being interesting itself, it would actually help my guitar playing by teaching me to learn theory instead of just tabs and stuff?
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
I would say that it would. I played piano long before I started guitar and found that knowing theory from piano, picking up guitar was pretty easy. Even if it doesnt help your guitar playing (which it probably will), piano is still lots of fun to play
Quote by PuppetMaster91
Hey - I've been playing guitar for about half a year now, and over the last few weeks started dabbling more with theory, trying to learn the notes, reading about intervals scales etc

I dont know much, just the basic C minor and the general 'jist' of theory with harmony etc, and I was at a mates yesterday and just started messing around on his piano. I'd never really used one before apart from in school when I had no interest in music and just hit a bunch of keys like any other kid...but I found that I could actually translate some of the riffs / songs I knew on guitar to the piano quite easily, and after doing that I could remember the notes better.

Just wondering if this is quite a common thing? I mean it makes sense why that would happen, and it seems like if I invested in an electric keyboard or something in addition to being interesting itself, it would actually help my guitar playing by teaching me to learn theory instead of just tabs and stuff?

sure, playing piano will broaden your perspective in general and will be helpful for studying theory.
shred is gaudy music