is this particular humbucker good for metal? anyone have any experience with it?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It's high output and made for soloing so it can be but it really depends on your playing style, check out the sound clips on the dimarzio site

what kind of sound did you have in mind?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
^thick metal with a good amount of chunk
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
well i can tell you the Super Distortion will do quite well for that as i own one and love it

also the D Activator X is worth looking into too
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 19, 2009,
bump
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
is this particular humbucker good for metal? anyone have any experience with it?

That's what it was made for. Listen to their sound clips on their site and read the description. Very accurate about the sound. Although when I think thick, I think lots of midrange and low end, which the pickup will provide the low end, but you need to provide the mids with the amp because the pickup scoops the mids of the initial pick attack to provide a cleaner sound than more midrangey pickups. Then you can add more mids with your amp for the required meat.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
That's what it was made for. Listen to their sound clips on their site and read the description. Very accurate about the sound. Although when I think thick, I think lots of midrange and low end, which the pickup will provide the low end, but you need to provide the mids with the amp because the pickup scoops the mids of the initial pick attack to provide a cleaner sound than more midrangey pickups. Then you can add more mids with your amp for the required meat.

thanks, that's the answer i was hoping for actually, because my amp has an extremely "gnarly" midrange at the volumes i use it at, the knob at 5 is plenty. when i lower it though, it gets really thin sounding, but with this pickup i should be able to raise it a bit and thicken the sound. but yeah, if it has the output i need for metal, combined with everything thats been said, it should be good for me.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I have one in the neck position of a RG 1570. I know it is for the bridge but that is how I bought it. I was planning on changing but it is quite tasty in the neck. Great for soloing and even better for shred but not suited for thrashing out metal crunch.....not in the neck anyway. It says it is designed to be high out put yet stay clean on the website. There are many better choices for metal.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!