basically i dont have a clue about them ,

id like to know more about what to put where before i buy some more pedals

my distortion pedal sounds horrible at the moment and id just like to know what i

could get to help with noise (even without any other pedals )

like noise gates / noise surpressors etc

( i dont like very much feedback , plus i like lots of gain but hate my amps hissing and
squeeking at me )

please help

THANK YOUUUUU
So tell us what your amp is and what pedal you are using.

You're bound to be using a cheap crap amp, that whatever pedal you will still sound cheap and crap.
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
at the moment its a marshall mg50dfx (which is surprisingly good )
and the guitar is an ibanez gax30 with an EMG81 in the bridge position and an emg after burner (gain boost)
iv also got a few pedals , a boss gt-3 and a boss ds 3

id just like to know how to build an fx loop properly and if theres any particular way of doing it just because iv been thinking of getting more pedals when my new amp arrives ,
thanks for responding guys even if one of the replys was a little blunt
Quote by syfg91
at the moment its a marshall mg50dfx (which is surprisingly good )
and the guitar is an ibanez gax30 with an EMG81 in the bridge position and an emg after burner (gain boost)
iv also got a few pedals , a boss gt-3 and a boss ds 3

id just like to know how to build an fx loop properly and if theres any particular way of doing it just because iv been thinking of getting more pedals when my new amp arrives ,
thanks for responding guys even if one of the replys was a little blunt

Okay, first off. The MG is a big part of your problem. Yes, they aren't as bad as the UG bandwagon makes them out to be, but they still suck. Hard.

What new amp are you getting, out of curiosity?

Most people runs modulation pedals in the effects loop (like chorus, flange, phase, etc..), and leave the others out in front of the amp. Some people even put delays and wahs in the FX loop.

Basically, whatever sounds best to you is how you should run it. Simple as that.

My setup now is:

Fender Strat > Dunlop 535Q > Boss PH-3 > Digitech Bad Monkey > BBE Boosta Grande > Line6 Flextone
FX Loop: FX Send > Deltalabs SC-1 > Boss RC-20 > FX Return

if that gives you an idea. And I keep the phase out of the loop because it sounds like **** in the loop. See? All personal preference.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
the new amp im gettin is a laney lx120 and the new guitar is an ec1000 so im hoping theres less excess noise out of those
yeh that has helped me out a little dude cheers
does it matter what order you put the effects in then ???
or does it just matter if its in the fx loop or just straight into the amp ?

thanks a lot i didnt think anyone would reply to this
The best way to understand FX loops and what to put in them is to understand the signal path through your amp.

In the most basic terms, you plug direct into the amp no FX.

Guitar -> Preamp -> Loop -> Poweramp-> Speaker -> Ear

Since the preamp is essentially the tone shaping part of the amp you want any FX that is tone shaping to go in before the preamp. Thats your wahs, boost, od and dist pedals.

The Loop exists so you can place effects such as delay, reverb,pitch and modulation (chorus/phase/flange) after the tone shaping is done.

Now the mod and pitch effects can be placed before the preamp or in the loop, this is entirely your decision as to what sounds good to your ears. however i found that with distorted sounds you will want to use the loop but for cleans you dont have to it sounds just as nice.

As a rule of thumb you should always start with wah then gain boxes then the rest is down to personal preference.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Aug 20, 2009,
nice one dude
that was so helpful

any more tips from anyone would still be appreciated
tahhhh
I'll just say if you ever build up a pedalboard seriously take some time to try out the effects in different orders! You'd be amazed how different the same effects sound in different positions!
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
I'll just say if you ever build up a pedalboard seriously take some time to try out the effects in different orders! You'd be amazed how different the same effects sound in different positions!

I agree with this, but you should also make your pedal board modular (attaching the pedals with either velcro or zip-ties). That way if you get tired of your sound or buy new pedals you can easily change the order.

I'll be posting a thread this weekend about making my pedal board and the steps I went through to decide pedal order and construction etc.