Page 1 of 2
in brazil

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203863204574346610120524166.html

why obama seeks to spend more government money in the form of loans to a private foreign company at the expense of the american taxpayer is beyond me. what really makes no sense, is that the obama administration would do something like this, but yet will not allow offshore drilling in the US. granted, it will potentially increase the global oil supply, but why not finance offshore drilling in the US that will directly benefit american citizens?

beyond that, what also makes this whole deal suspect is that george soros has an $811 million stake in Petrobras (the company that will borrowing the money). soros is known for making large donations to the democratic party, and is one of the head financiers of moveon.org.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aFHPjfeUvtl8

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/26/elec04.prez.bush.soros.reut/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

hurray for chicago politics!

Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Aug 19, 2009,
I actually went on a business trip to Brazil this past spring and toured a factory that makes oil drill parts for these off-shore Brazilian rigs. Oil is huge there, especially Petrobras, and we should receive a full return on the loan, unlike GM and other amazing bailout ideas.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
in brazil

why obama seeks to spend more government money in the form of loans to a private foreign company at the expense of the american taxpayer is beyond me. what really makes no sense, is that the obama administration would do something like this, but yet will not allow offshore drilling in the US. granted, it will potentially increase the global oil supply, but why not finance offshore drilling in the US that will directly benefit american citizens?

beyond that, what also makes this whole deal suspect is that george soros has an $811 million stake in Petrobras (the company that will borrowing the money). soros is known for making large donations to the democratic party, and is one of the head financiers of moveon.org.

he's offering a loan which charges interest which the US will profit off of. it's a good investment considering that oil companies pay off loans efficiently.

the reason they didn't have off-shore drilling in alaska is simply because the extreme conditions that alaska provides. although, it is kind of hypocritical for him, but the investment should bring back money due to interest.

EDIT: the article also questions obama's decision on off-shore drilling in america. i think he didn't go that route because he simply doesn't support off-shore drilling in the united states, at least. plus, doing it in south america wouldn't provoke as much attention which would be good thing right now with all those nut-jobs in the town hall debates.
Sent from my iPad.
pff why use our own oil when we could take someone else's?
and thats not sarcastic, screw using our own oil until we absolutly have to...
i mean isnt that what all the wars have been over?
hes just trying to save our oil for us greedy americans. i have no problem with this
Quote by yabes24
hes just trying to save our oil for us greedy americans. i have no problem with this

using our own oil would be much more beneficial for U.S. citizens. we should be using our oil before we actually buy it from foreign countries.

another reason why he probably doesn't want to drill on U.S. soil is probably because he seems to be geared towards highly efficient automobiles that do not rely on oil in the U.S. drilling on U.S. soil would seem like a step backwards.

your logic appears to me as this:
i won a million dollars.
i subsequently take out a loan for a million dollars since i do not want to spend the money i have right now.

i guess he could have financed any other project for $2 mil but it is pretty risky giving the money to just anyone. financing oil companies seems safer since they piss profit margins.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
he's offering a loan which charges interest which the US will profit off of. it's a good investment considering that oil companies pay off loans efficiently.

the reason they didn't have off-shore drilling in alaska is simply because the extreme conditions that alaska provides. although, it is kind of hypocritical for him, but the investment should bring back money due to interest.

EDIT: the article also questions obama's decision on off-shore drilling in america. i think he didn't go that route because he simply doesn't support off-shore drilling in the united states, at least. plus, doing it in south america wouldn't provoke as much attention which would be good thing right now with all those nut-jobs in the town hall debates.

except the US government isnt a bank, and shouldnt act as such regardless of potential profits. we dont really need the government 'gambling' with our money.

there are more drilling options in the US than just alaska ie off the gulf coast. we would make exponentially more profit if we pursued offshore drilling in the US rather than trying to making profit off loan interest.

Quote by yabes24

in addition to what paintitblack said in the above post, i find it hard to believe that within the next 20-30 years we wont become alot more oil efficient/have alternative sources of energy readily available.

it makes more sense to tap into our own oil supplies while oil is at record high prices, rather than in the future when the price of oil drops due to a drop in demand.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by paintITblack39

I'm impressed at how much you actually know.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
except the US government isnt a bank, and shouldnt act as such regardless of potential profits. we dont really need the government 'gambling' with our money.

the US export-import bank is a bank, however, and that's where the money is coming from. although, with the government already giving bailouts to several companies (are those technically loans? will GM pay back the money with accrued interest? this is a serious question ) this loan seems much safer in the long run. oil companies are highly profitable and barely fail as a corporation. the risk on this loan should be minuscule.

there are more drilling options in the US than just alaska ie off the gulf coast. we would make exponentially more profit if we pursued offshore drilling in the US rather than trying to making profit off loan interest.

agreed ... which is why offered several different insights as to why he isn't drilling on US soil. it could be a decision to fend off the media. i also thought that since obama is a huge fan of alternative energy sources, drilling on US soil would seem like a step backwards. there really isn't a reason as to why obama didn't drill in the gulf coast.
Quote by PinoyxRockar
I'm impressed at how much you actually know.

are you being sarcastic?
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
the US export-import bank is a bank, however, and that's where the money is coming from. although, with the government already giving bailouts to several companies (are those technically loans? will GM pay back the money with accrued interest? this is a serious question ) this loan seems much safer in the long run. oil companies are highly profitable and barely fail as a corporation. the risk on this loan should be minuscule.

agreed ... which is why offered several different insights as to why he isn't drilling on US soil. it could be a decision to fend off the media. i also thought that since obama is a huge fan of alternative energy sources, drilling on US soil would seem like a step backwards. there really isn't a reason as to why obama didn't drill in the gulf coast.

are you being sarcastic?

Nope
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by paintITblack39

are you being sarcastic?

EDIT: Oil sucks.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Last edited by Aaron0612 at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by paintITblack39

I wouldn't say that. Some of the petroleum engineers and oil industry VP's i've met have plans already for how to deal with drilling in Alaska.They've had them for years. Just not allowed to. its not a matter how. its just a matter of when they can.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by paintITblack39

while thats true, its just a very slippery slope when the government starts to become a for-profit organization in terms of competing in the private sector. if i understand the structure of the export-import bank correctly, when it lends money to foreign countries its traditionally so they are able to purchase american goods that they otherwise wouldnt be able to. in this case, the loan is only being given to make profit off the interest in order to increase the funds of the government. its one thing to make loans to foreign governments (which i understand the export-import bank does) but when it starts making loans to foreign private organizations?

thats also why i brought up the whole soros deal. its much like when bush/cheney awarded the largest defense contracts during the iraq war to halliburton. the whole process just seems steeped more in private interest under the guise of the government serving the general public than anything else.

just my take on things
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by paintITblack39

Right, but if we're still the ones funding and encouraging the oil drilling, we might as well be getting our own. Unfortunately, I think this dumbass sidestep actually will save face.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Wonder if he'd give me $1500 for an amp...?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Wonder if he'd give me $1500 for an amp...?

seriously, it wouldn't be too much to ask.

government sponsored lottery giveaways! just put your social security number in this hat...

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
seriously, it wouldn't be too much to ask.

government sponsored lottery giveaways! just put your social security number in this hat...

Make it a small hat....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by AbsolutePower
This is why we don't legalize drugs.

wat
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by AbsolutePower
This is why we don't legalize drugs.

why's that?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
zOMG!HeS a sOciAlsT!

rEvOLuTIoN NAO! GlENn bEcK!!
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
using our own oil would be much more beneficial for U.S. citizens. we should be using our oil before we actually buy it from foreign countries

drilling in alaska might help us now, but what happens down the road if we run dry and we don't find the alternative fuel we're looking for.
and the other countries get to bend us over.
even if were 99% sure we will get another fuel it's still, gambling our country.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
in brazil

He also payed Gaza 1 billion dollars.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/02/lawmakers-worry-gaza-aid-away-hamas/

He's a sketchy man with his own agenda.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Hah isn't funny that he just lent out $2,000,000,000 that we don't even have!!!

Let's give him a round of applause for further putting us in debt!
Gear:

Agile AL-3000, Tribal Blue
Ibanez ART100, Silver
Gibson Epoch Les Paul
Cordoba C5 Classical
Peavey MX-VTX 130
Crate XT-120R
Digitech RP90

Check out my band: Come Forth
On myspace: Come Forth TX
Quote by yabes24
drilling in alaska might help us now, but what happens down the road if we run dry and we don't find the alternative fuel we're looking for.
and the other countries get to bend us over.
even if were 99% sure we will get another fuel it's still, gambling our country.

do you realize how much oil the US is sitting on? by the time we run dry, the rest of the world will be about dry and everyone will be universally fucked.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/02/lawmakers-worry-gaza-aid-away-hamas/

Compared to the 5 billion we give to Israel annualy?

Yeah, lets not help the refugees who've been struggling in poverty for years, lets just keep shoveling money into the people oppressing them.

Great logic.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by KwikKopy
I actually went on a business trip to Brazil this past spring and toured a factory that makes oil drill parts for these off-shore Brazilian rigs. Oil is huge there, especially Petrobras, and we should receive a full return on the loan, unlike GM and other amazing bailout ideas.

I imagine, I made friends with a Brazilian foreign exchange student. He told me that Brazilian men serve two years in the military after graduating high school, then they attend college for free. When I asked what their military involvement is, he said they really only have a small national guard and the rest works in oil. It really is a huge deal.

Though it doesn't make much sense to me. It's obvious that Obama is repaying his lobbyists by spending 2 billion on the oil industry (albeit for a different country). I wonder if this means we'll buy oil from Brazil for a cheaper price than from the Middle-East? If so, that'd certainly be a plus.
Oh I get it haha. that sly devil.

he's against offshore drilling in AMERICAN waters.

What a brilliant political move.

"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by TunerAddict
Compared to the 5 billion we give to Israel annualy?

Yeah, lets not help the refugees who've been struggling in poverty for years, lets just keep shoveling money into the people oppressing them.

Great logic.

Gaza is controlled by the Hamas; we just funded terrorism.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Gaza is controlled by the Hamas; we just funded terrorism.

We just funded impoverished people.

People who seldom have food and electricity.

Can some of it go to Hamas? Sure. But then again, Hamas are the ELECTED government. They were elected. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean ****. Democracy in action.

One man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. We aren't there, so how can we judge?

I'm just for feeding hungry, impoverished kids. I'm for actually getting schools for these kids to go to. I'm for helping these families that need help.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
We just funded impoverished people.

People who seldom have food and electricity.

Can some of it go to Hamas? Sure. But then again, Hamas are the ELECTED government. They were elected. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean ****. Democracy in action.

One man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. We aren't there, so how can we judge?

I'm just for feeding hungry, impoverished kids. I'm for actually getting schools for these kids to go to. I'm for helping these families that need help.

I'm more for feeding our own hungry, impoverished kids, and keeping them in school. So much money goes to help overseas when people still need help back home.

And having some people as allies means having some enemies as well. It's just the way the world works.
Quote by lylewithans182
I'm more for feeding our own hungry, impoverished kids, and keeping them in school. So much money goes to help overseas when people still need help back home.

And having some people as allies means having some enemies as well. It's just the way the world works.

I do agree with this.

Just if we're going to fund Israel with 5 billion, we might as well help the people they continually **** over.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

The EPA has kinda screwed is in terms of oil. There are very, very strict limits on how many oil refineries we can have in the US.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by Aaron0612

what about it
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Page 1 of 2