Link HERE

I love fuzz, vintage (Hendrix) and modern (Bush and Smashing Pumpkins).

Still I only got money for one effect. Is it possible to get a vintage tone from the Big Muff ?
Yup, definitely.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I laughed at the little mistake in the description in french.

Normal description in english:

Legendary, sweet-sustaining fuzz tones prized by artists from Santana to Korn.

Traducted description from french :

Sweet-sustaining fuzz tones appreciated by artists such as Santana and Korn.

Like if Santana and Korn were the same still of music

Edit : I made the traduction myself so if you dont get wath is funny it might be because of my bad description
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
Last edited by Geezus at Aug 19, 2009,
personally i don't think you can get a convincing hendrix/ fuzz face tone out of the big muff but maybe thats because i'm not trying hard enough. maybe look into the swollen pickle if you have the cash.
Quote by Geezus

Like if Santana and Korn were the same still of music

Edit : I made the traduction myself so if you dont get wath is funny it might be because of my bad description

They aren't and that's the point. Santana appeals to a classic rock audience, while Korn attracts modern players and people into metal. Suddenly your market grew. Good advertising, since they aren't lying either.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
'Cause here's the way I see it.

My amp on 1/4W setting, tone and volume at 10, it already gets compression.

I tough that I could set the Big Muff on low setting just to boost that bypass signal, so I can get a vintage tone. Crazy idea ? Might work ?
Last edited by TinyJimbo at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by TinyJimbo
'Cause here's the way I see it.

My amp on 1/4W setting, tone and volume at 10, it already gets compression.

I tough that I could set the Big Muff on low setting just to boost that bypass signal, so I can get a vintage tone. Crazy idea ? Might work ?

You'll struggle to get a vintage tone out of a Big Muff. I had a Russian Muff through my Vox and really couldn't get close. A lot of fuzzes don't sound good on low gain, no personal experience with the USA version but I imagine it's no different.

EDIT: If you're looking for a pedal that can go from Hendrix to Smashing Pumpkins try the Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz. I sold my Big Muff and replaced it with this, it easily covers Hendrix to Big Muff tones. Don't know where you're from but it's about £80 new in the UK.
Last edited by aaronni at Aug 19, 2009,
^so ur saying u havent tried the usa muff but u still say get a different pedal. TS in my opinion the big muff does get into vintage stuff but hendrix used a fuzz face so it will sound a little different i say go 4 it.
Quote by Supersonic64
^so ur saying u havent tried the usa muff but u still say get a different pedal. TS in my opinion the big muff does get into vintage stuff but hendrix used a fuzz face so it will sound a little different i say go 4 it.

I haven't tried it in person no which is why I included that bit. I'm just giving my own opinion that there's better alternatives for a versatile fuzz. I use virtually the same setup as him and originally used a Russian Muff. I think the Big Muff will be too thick for playing vintage stuff like Hendrix.
Quote by aaronni
I haven't tried it in person no which is why I included that bit. I'm just giving my own opinion that there's better alternatives for a versatile fuzz. I use virtually the same setup as him and originally used a Russian Muff. I think the Big Muff will be too thick for playing vintage stuff like Hendrix.

yeah, it does sound pretty thick when you are trying to play like hendrix, when i play voodoo chile i use it with my wah for the opening wah part, then when i get to the verse/nonwah part i change over to ds-1 for a thinner/airier sound (mp3 on profile)

it works great for most all moderate/lower distortions i use it for Ac/dc, occasional greenday, some ratm, and most other distorted songs. it sounds great with humbuckers, but thru my tele its really fuzzy and thick, but i blame that on many other factors (stock pickups, amp)

ill finish off by saying when i'm using it to solo...that g sting 15th fret, give it a lil bend &
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by aaronni

EDIT: If you're looking for a pedal that can go from Hendrix to Smashing Pumpkins try the Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz. I sold my Big Muff and replaced it with this, it easily covers Hendrix to Big Muff tones. Don't know where you're from but it's about £80 new in the UK.
I have a Tweak Fuzz and 2 big muffs (about to be 3). The tweak fuzz is good, for sure, but it's not as plug and play as the Big Muff. Also, the Big Muff has a lot more punch, volume wise, than the tweak fuzz.

I play generally what people would call 'Vintage" music, and I use a lot of fuzz. A Big Muff is a staple of that, for me, because it sounds very big. I don't know about Smashing Pumpkins, because I don't listen to them, but with a bit of tweaking (i.e. boosting the mids on your amp), you can get a hendrix-y type sound with a Big Muff. The best thing about the muff, though, is that you can get one used for 30-50 bucks.
Goolz - I think you should listen to some of Corrigan's lead and rhythm playing on Pumpkins and tell us what you think. I think you actually might like it. Guitar wise.

I personally, would be very interested in what kind of fuzz you would recommend. Bush has a similar sound. Sorry, I didn't bother to look up Corrigan's gear. I'll try to find you a song that has a good representation.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Goolz - I think you should listen to some of Corrigan's lead and rhythm playing on Pumpkins and tell us what you think. I think you actually might like it. Guitar wise.

I personally, would be very interested in what kind of fuzz you would recommend. Bush has a similar sound. Sorry, I didn't bother to look up Corrigan's gear. I'll try to find you a song that has a good representation.

Corgan, broseph
The Germanium OD from EHX might get you what you want but don't take my word.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb