Poll: Kick the drummer or not (read first)
Poll Options
View poll results: Kick the drummer or not (read first)
Kick current drummer and hire my friend
19 56%
Keep drummer and just train my friend as backup
15 44%
Voters: 34.
My band has a big problem with our drummer. He seems like he doesn't want to be in the band anymore and when it sounds like he wants to be in it all he wants our band to learn is Ratt songs. Ratt is a good band and all but me (lead guitar) and the other two guys (rhythm guitar and bassist) like Metallica, COB, BFMV and that stuff and we are also sick of listening to Ratt everytime he comes to my house to practice. The only thing is our drummer won't play anything that has scream singing in it (He will play Metallica though ). We might want to get rid of him but he is really good friends with all of us and we don't want to piss him off (he is also a pyromaniac and we think he'll burn our houses if we fire him lol.

My one friend is about to start learning how to drum so me and the other guys thought it would be a good idea to train him since i also know how to drum and he also likes the same music we do. Bad news is our dumba** bassist didn't think it was a secret and told our drummer we were thinkin about teaching my friend to drum for us. I talked to our drummer now and he doesn't seem mad since i haven't brought it up recently so what do you guys think i should do?
There is also another problem with him i forgot to mention he is a pain in the a*s when he comes to practice he always wants to cause trouble and my parents hate him for that.
It would be easy to make a joke, but if you are serious about the Pyro thing, and his aggressive behavior, he has some serious problems. You guys won't be able to solve them. When I was a kid, there was a guy like that, when he finally got some help, he was diagnosed as a Schizophrenic. I don't care what age you are, if he is mentally ill, you're going to need some help.
Quote by chokmool
It would be easy to make a joke, but if you are serious about the Pyro thing, and his aggressive behavior, he has some serious problems. You guys won't be able to solve them. When I was a kid, there was a guy like that, when he finally got some help, he was diagnosed as a Schizophrenic. I don't care what age you are, if he is mentally ill, you're going to need some help.

No he isn't mentally ill and it's not a joke he wasn't brought up right as a kid his mom never did anything right and he just moved into his aunt's house a month ago he was allowed to do anything he wanted when he was at his mom's and he is just messed up altogether he is one of the most intelligent people in our school alongside me and my friend who we might get to drum for us it's a shame though he wasn't brought up right
I'll dial this back.
If you are really afraid that he will do harm to himself or others, nature/nurture, doesn't matter. Please find a responsible adult to intervene.
Quote by GrisKy
buy an acoustic and wander the deserts of Nevada.

This
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Trickle7052
We might want to get rid of him but he is really good friends with all of us and we don't want to piss him off (he is also a pyromaniac and we think he'll burn our houses if we fire him lol.

lol

OT, stick with him. I mean, yeah, he's a messed up Pyromaniac who might kill you, but nobody's perfect. Get him some help. But stick with him, if it gets bad, fire his ass (NO PUN INTENDED)

Your other friend is very inexperienced, it would require a LOT of work
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by Rock&RollStar at Aug 20, 2009,
Talk to him and see if he would be okay with your friend learning the ropes with the band.

Spend some time practising with each of them in turn - your current drummer could give your friend tips.

You might even end up having two drummers who alternate.
Sounds a lot like my last drummer situation...he would only want to play stuff the other guys didnt want to.
We got rid of him. If your drummer isnt respecting what the other guys in your band want to do, then theres a problem. Kick him and find someone who has a better attitude to playing different stuff.
The key here is communication. Try communicating with your drummer and showing him some more ins and encourage him to be more open to other kinds of music. BTW just because a friend of yours is learning to play doesnt mean its a good idea- it might take him a long time to cohesively function with a band....
^There is one problem he is too stuborn to open up to diffrent types of music me and the other guys are willing to do a couple songs he likes if we can learn them but he won't do the same for us. Me and the other guitarist function perfectly when we play but our bassist is also a beginner and it's taking a long time to train him so i know what you mean there it would be the exact same thing with my friend.
Yeah you're right me and my friend were talking a while ago we said if he doesn't play what we want we will kick him and hire my friend.
Quote by Trickle7052
My band has a big problem with our drummer. He seems like he doesn't want to be in the band anymore and when it sounds like he wants to be in it all he wants our band to learn is Ratt songs. Ratt is a good band and all but me (lead guitar) and the other two guys (rhythm guitar and bassist) like Metallica, COB, BFMV and that stuff and we are also sick of listening to Ratt everytime he comes to my house to practice. The only thing is our drummer won't play anything that has scream singing in it (He will play Metallica though ). We might want to get rid of him but he is really good friends with all of us and we don't want to piss him off (he is also a pyromaniac and we think he'll burn our houses if we fire him lol.

My one friend is about to start learning how to drum so me and the other guys thought it would be a good idea to train him since i also know how to drum and he also likes the same music we do. Bad news is our dumba** bassist didn't think it was a secret and told our drummer we were thinkin about teaching my friend to drum for us. I talked to our drummer now and he doesn't seem mad since i haven't brought it up recently so what do you guys think i should do?

dont go about it unprofessionally though- i mean, have you seriously sat him down and talked about this issue?
he should be more varied rather just his music, you should play his music but also get him to play yours. not to mention its important to write stuff allowing you all to play your own kind of style.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
We are working on our own stuff right now i showed him a preview of what i got put together so far and he likes it and yes we are goin to play some of his stuff. We have talked to him about playing some of our own stuff but we can only get him to play 80's hair metal, Metallica, and AC/DC other than that, thats about it.
The other members of the band don't want to be just a band with a single sound we want to play a lot of covers by many diffrent bands but our drummer is our only problem. When we first started i used to hate band that could scream but my rhythm guitarist got me into that stuff and now i listen to that most of the time.
Everyone in our band has been friends since the third grade. Don't look at this like we want to kick him; i don't want to and neither do the other guys but we will if it is a last resort he does cause way to much trouble though.