Im looking to buy a new guitar, i already have an epi les paul custom. and now im looking for something different. something that will help me improve really. I usually play old rock; 60's and 70's era (Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd). But now im looking to play alot more Hendrix , SRV, and play and more blues in general. Im not looking for a metal machine, my LP can cope with the little i play of that. Im reaching for a more cleaner, bluesy, rock & roll feel. My problem is i dont know whether to choose a Tele or a Strat. what do you think? Which one is easier to play also?
Hoping i don't get perma-banned

SUIT UP!
I prefer the Strat, but that's just me.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
SRV, Hendrix, and Lynyrd Skynyrd used Strats, so theres a good point. Also, Strats are more versitle than Teles.

EDIT: Actually I think Rossington used a Les Paul, im not quite sure.
Last edited by StratPlayer15 at Aug 19, 2009,
its all opinion..go to a local store and play both and see which you like better also telecasters have a more "mellow" kind of tone compaired to a strat
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
Quote by StratPlayer15
SRV, Hendrix, and Lynyrd Skynyrd used Strats, so theres a good point. Also, Strats are more versitle than Teles.

EDIT: Actually I think Rossington used a Les Paul, im not quite sure.

Lynyrd skynnyrd had a couple guitarists, one with a Strat, another with a les paul and someone with a fire bird, at one point anyway.

but i know they all used strats, thats what drew me to a strat in the first place, but i like the look of the tele better, which is only minor i know. Plus i have an old cheap imitation strat so a tele would be something new altogether. but still am unsure ahah

SUIT UP!
Strat

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Personally I prefer the telecaster for a nice bluesy sound but the strat can do that just fine. For blues, both of them do it great, but in different ways. Definately go to astore and try both of them out.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Personally I prefer the telecaster for a nice bluesy sound but the strat can do that just fine. For blues, both of them do it great, but in different ways. Definately go to astore and try both of them out.

thats my plan for sure.

SUIT UP!
How much are you planning on spending?
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
How much are you planning on spending?

well, it doesnt really matter about the price really, under $2000. roughly.

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77

Then I,personally,would recommend that you get a Partscaster.That is if you choose a Strat.You would be able to have a very good Fender for about the price of a Highway One...more or less.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
Then I,personally,would recommend that you get a Partscaster.That is if you choose a Strat.You would be able to have a very good Fender for about the price of a Highway One...more or less.

i feel stupid because i have never heard of such a thing, neither has wikipedia. therefore im lost

SUIT UP!
You could have a go at a Nashville Tele with the 3 pickups and change the pickups to suit if need be. I like a Tele though.
Quote by classrock77
i feel stupid because i have never heard of such a thing, neither has wikipedia. therefore im lost

No worries.It's pretty much a Strat that you yourself choose parts for.By doing that you get exactly what you want.For example,I was going to get an American Standard Strat but hated how pale the necks were,the sound of the pickups and the two-point bridge so I just bought what I wanted and had it assembled(you can assemble it yourself but I was too much of a pussy to do it myself) since what Fender was offering was not what I wanted...and it only cost me $700.

If this makes no sense,sorry.I just typed without really thinking.

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Last edited by NewsoftheWorld at Aug 19, 2009,
also it should be said that i dislike country, and was kinda afraid the tele would be to countryish.

SUIT UP!
A lot of people like strats, but I don't care for them much. The necks are always way too narrow. And I love playing Teles. Good American teles have some of the best tones available.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
No worries.It's pretty much a Strat that you yourself choose parts for.By doing that you get exactly what you want.For example,I was going to get an American Standard Strat but hated how pale the necks were,the sound of the pickups and the two-point bridge so I just bought what I wanted and had it assembled(you can assemble it yourself but I was too much of a pussy to do it myself) since what Fender was offering was not what I wanted...and it only cost me $700.

If this makes no sense,sorry.I just typed without really thinking.

its all good haha, and actually i could assemble it myself, i took my crapy strat crap thing apart and painted it and put it back together no problem haha

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77
also it should be said that i dislike country, and was kinda afraid the tele would be to countryish.

Common misconception. The telecaster is a very versatile guitar, but it just has a much more desirable tone for country than most guitars when set up right.

Anyway, as an owner of both, I love both and my preference keeps switching. For what you want I'd recommend a strat, but a tele may also work. What specifically do you want?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Common misconception. The telecaster is a very versatile guitar, but it just has a much more desirable tone for country than most guitars when set up right.

Anyway, as an owner of both, I love both and my preference keeps switching. For what you want I'd recommend a strat, but a tele may also work. What specifically do you want?

as specific as i can make it, I want something Hendrix sounding, Red House being the song in my mind at the moment, therefore also leading me into the blues, which is where SRV comes up. also, I love The Band, and Robbie Robertsons fills give me goosebumps, i even get teary. no joke.

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77
as specific as i can make it, I want something Hendrix sounding, Red House being the song in my mind at the moment, therefore also leading me into the blues, which is where SRV comes up. also, I love The Band, and Robbie Robertsons fills give me goosebumps, i even get teary. no joke.

Then yeah, both would do well, but if Red House is what you want, a strat neck pickup and fat overdrive are what you want.

Quote by classrock77

Under $2000?

Sir, I have the perfect strat for you. (I might be biased since I'm a fanboy of it, but I've played it countless times and its hailed as the best production strat).

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-STRATOCASTER-USA-ERIC-JOHNSON-HARD-PLUSH-CASE_W0QQitemZ290336977244QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item43996eb15c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Has a Gibson like neck. Check the specs on Fender's site. If you don't like the color, or want to get it brand new and not used with all the case candy, search around and see if you can find a legit store that sells em cheaper. List price on guitar center is around $2000.

As for teles, very versatile. I've heard good reviews of the 52 reissue telecaster and the hot rod telecaster.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Under $2000?

Sir, I have the perfect strat for you. (I might be biased since I'm a fanboy of it, but I've played it countless times and its hailed as the best production strat).

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-STRATOCASTER-USA-ERIC-JOHNSON-HARD-PLUSH-CASE_W0QQitemZ290336977244QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item43996eb15c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Has a Gibson like neck. Check the specs on Fender's site. If you don't like the color, or want to get it brand new and not used with all the case candy, search around and see if you can find a legit store that sells em cheaper. List price on guitar center is around $2000.

As for teles, very versatile. I've heard good reviews of the 52 reissue telecaster and the hot rod telecaster.

im heading into town tomorrow, where i plan on trying out some guitars first, sorry man if it wasnt for that i would look up yours aha.

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77
im heading into town tomorrow, where i plan on trying out some guitars first, sorry man if it wasnt for that i would look up yours aha.

you can try it out. Hell, my small music store has one. Just ask if they got it, if they don't oh well. Though, I've heard from a lot of people they come perfectly ready to play out of the box, and they're some of the lightest strats to come out of the factory.
Quote by necrosis1193
Then yeah, both would do well, but if Red House is what you want, a strat neck pickup and fat overdrive are what you want.

Mhmm i know, and i think ill go with a strat, thanks man. one of these days im gonna add you as a friend on here, you seem very help full, and also because of the John Lennon doodle avatar

thanks all, peace.

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77
Mhmm i know, and i think ill go with a strat, thanks man. one of these days im gonna add you as a friend on here, you seem very help full, and also because of the John Lennon doodle avatar

thanks all, peace.

Not a problem, always glad to help someone pick the right gear for them.