Just want to hear some opinions out there. Don't have to get mean. It's all subjective when it comes to ones preference.

I think George Lynch and Warren DeMartini were both way way overrated. All those 80's guys sounded the same to me. Not saying they were bad players remember.
This has been done many times before.

And the obvious answer is Dimebag and Hendrix. You can't say anything slightly negative about them without getting strangled by fanboys.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
well i know a LOT of guitarists and stuff that were over rated but everything is opinion there is no such thing as best or better
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
kurt kobain. love nirvana, hate when people claim that he's an amazing guitarist
GEAR

1976 Gibson SG
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Takamine GS330S Acoustic
Crate 65 watt
Crybaby classic wah
George Lynch is unbelievable. To say that his playing is the same as all other 80s guitarists demonstrates a profound ignorance of Lynch's phrasing.

Regardless, we don't do this in MT. These threads belong in another forum, if anywhere at all.

*reported*
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Aug 20, 2009,
how is hendrix overrated?

p.s. ^ *you're not a mod*

p.p.s ^ *report my erect phallus to the depths of your anus*
Last edited by imitchydownther at Aug 19, 2009,
Anyone who's ever been called a god. That's just silly
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Damius
J All those 80's guys sounded the same to me.
I can say the exact same thing about modern music, except we got more idiots like Jonas Brothers.
Since more people have posted since I did, I'll just stick the link here. Look at what Chris has to say about posting in a thread that's been reported: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21250720#post21250720
I just simply think, the more mainstream and popular the artist or band became = more over-rated.

No matter if you really where that good like for example Hendrix. As previously stated up there, He's just gotten to the point where you aren't aloud to even criticize a single aspect of his playing without getting flamed, even if its your OWN PERSONAL OPINION.

People will tell you your opinion is wrong that's when a person is over-rated
Quote by Damius
Just want to hear some opinions out there. Don't have to get mean. It's all subjective when it comes to ones preference.

I think George Lynch and Warren DeMartini were both way way overrated. All those 80's guys sounded the same to me. Not saying they were bad players remember.

What's the point? and over rated by who?

I mean every famous guitarist is likely to be considered over rated by somebody.

Good way to start some arguments though, if that's what you're after.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by Axe Samurai
I just simply think, the more mainstream and popular the artist or band became = more over-rated.

No matter if you really where that good like for example Hendrix. As previously stated up there, He's just gotten to the point where you aren't aloud to even criticize a single aspect of his playing without getting flamed, even if its your OWN PERSONAL OPINION.

People will tell you your opinion is wrong that's when a person is over-rated

+ 1
"Their always is no such thing as a wrong note!"
oh boy this is gunna turn into such a cluster f*ck
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
First of all, when I say they're overrated as a guitarist... I in no way mean they aren't a good artist! Just want to make that clear! Also, Even though a person is overrated doesn't mean they aren't incredibley skilled... it just means that people have made him/her out to be more than he/she truly is! Hendrix was an amazing artist, and a truely skilled guitarist... but he is still largely overrated! Same with Yngwie... his fast, got lotsa technique, but he is MASSIVELY overrated! So, those are just my 2 cents!

Kurt Kobain
Yngwie Malsteem(sp?)
Herman Lee
Kirk Hammet

Those are the first that come to my mind!
sorry some of you women out there got their panties in a bunch over this post

I was just getting some input from some of you. I even said, no need to get mean about it or argue with each other about opinions. Right away some really bad guitar player out there sticks up for George Lynch and says I have no idea what phrasing is? Dorken sucked dude and Lynch Mob was worse than a root canal. Get with the program. (-)(-)
>
O oh my...
most sensible people realise he's not that great, but Herman Li is worshipped by ten year olds
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by imitchydownther
how is hendrix overrated?

p.s. ^ *you're not a mod*

p.p.s ^ *report my erect phallus to the depths of your anus*

+1 lol (however saying that i do think jimi is overrated)
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Last edited by Conca at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Since more people have posted since I did, I'll just stick the link here. Look at what Chris has to say about posting in a thread that's been reported: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21250720#post21250720

Just wondering why evertime I see you in a thread it gets reported?

Someone trying to clean up these mean streets of UG?

Oh, most over rated guitar ist is deff Jimmy Page......can't wait to get some feedback with this one.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by bangoodcharlote
George Lynch is unbelievable. To say that his playing is the same as all other 80s guitarists demonstrates a profound ignorance of Lynch's phrasing.

Regardless, we don't do this in MT. These threads belong in another forum, if anywhere at all.

*reported*

I agree, George Lynch is nowhere near the same as all the other 80's guitarists.

And BGC, your reporting isn't fair.

Your opinion is fuel for the question of TS, and the reporting is to be against it with the intention that the thread gets closed, and that noone should voice their opinions, so it's a bit contradicting.

If you report, you should only report, and nothing else.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Aug 20, 2009,
Clapton is overrated as a guitar player. He's very good but not top five all-time.
He is an underrated singer though.
Quote by Jackal58
What? You don't speak wigger? Allow me to translate:
Hai gais I'm a troll!!!!!!
Quote by Out_of_Utero
Clapton is overrated as a guitar player. He's very good but not top five all-time.
He is an underrated singer though.

Kind of agree there....I love Claptons voice.

FWIW - my dad looks like a cross between Clapton and Jerry Springer
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I think it would be prudent to first define what overrated means, then to nominate your guitarist and say why you think he's overrated. Otherwise this thread is just a "who do you like more" thread.

For my part;

I'll agree that Kurt Cobain is overrated, he wasn't very great on guitar. However he had an amazing producer that helped his sound a lot at the time - it was bigger and heavier than other mainstream acts at the time (ie. Hair Metal) and without him you guys would not be listening to Dream Theater now.

I won't agree that Jimi Hendrix is overrated. He is an amazing rhythm player, and his lead lines contain great melody and feel. He also brought the Fender Stratocaster into the spotlight as a rock and blues guitar (it was previously primarily linked to surf bands). Sure he's not fast or technical by today's standards, but if that's what you gauge as a "good guitarist" you may think that anyone who doesn't play fast technical songs is overrated if they are successful.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hendrix is amazing, and is by far my main influence. Easily one of the most influential and important guitarists ever. Yet, I do not believe that he is the god everyone makes him out to be, I'd say he makes it into the top 5 though.
And I think that Clapton and Van Halen are both extremely underrated, Van Halen gets a lot of critical acclaim but it doesn't seem like he does from a lot of players.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I agree, George Lynch is nowhere near the same as all the other 80's guitarists.

And BGC, your reporting isn't fair.

Your opinion is fuel for the question of TS, and the reporting is to be against it with the intention that the thread gets closed, and that noone should voice their opinions, so it's a bit contradicting.

If you report, you should only report, and nothing else.

I like George Lynch.

Why do people always have to "rate" players? it's alot more fun just to enjoy their music IMO.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 20, 2009,
Yeah, it's overdone, but somehow we like to continue to discuss it. That, to me, represents a desire to have the thread open.

I'll leave it as such unless things get ugly.... which they might.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i dunno, thing is alot of players get the props they deserve even though its in excess quite often. i don't think dimebag for example is overrated because every interview i've read with other people talking about him, they make it sound like he was in fact some kind of deity on guitar. kerry king, ozzy, hammett, jorgenson, reznor all these people talk about how he could play anything from blues to jazz to country to metal to classical to fusion, punk, reggae, you pick a sound he could play it and play it quite well. apparently its cool to hate him in the pit tho
Quote by Damius

If it's subjective, how the hell can it be overrated?
This thread should be renamed simply; 'Guitar players you don't like'.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
I think the most overrated guitar player is ________ (insert any rock/metal shredder). Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Petrucci, ...

From all the talk from kids who only listen to that rock/metal type stuff that think because they play licks really fast they must be the 'greatest', when actually if you would listen to other styles of music you would realize that is totally not the case.

There are tons of burning jazz guys that could throw down faster lines than any shredder during actual improvisation. (lick playing is NOT improvisation).

Classical (real classical) guys have the meanest chops I have ever seen. Not only will they out read any guitar player out there, they have perfect technique.
Quote by rockinrider55
I think the most overrated guitar player is ________ (insert any rock/metal shredder). Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Petrucci, ...

From all the talk from kids who only listen to that rock/metal type stuff that think because they play licks really fast they must be the 'greatest', when actually if you would listen to other styles of music you would realize that is totally not the case.

There are tons of burning jazz guys that could throw down faster lines than any shredder during actual improvisation. (lick playing is NOT improvisation).

Classical (real classical) guys have the meanest chops I have ever seen. Not only will they out read any guitar player out there, they have perfect technique.

Well obviously a kids not gonna know about some jazz guy that isn't mainstream at all.

My buddies dad (Robert Phillips) is a classical guitar player professionally and he is prob the best guitarist I have ever heard but he would never be listed in something like this as maybe 1% of the people on here have maybe heard of him.

My point is there will always be some underratted guitarist, no matter what genre you look to.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ