Hello guys,

Im thinking of buying an epiphone 335 (dot), if I do ill be wanting to dissconnect the one pots, as Im just not a fan of tone controls on guitars. But a 335 style guitar has no front routing or back cavity, how do i get to the wiring?

Im probably being blind and stupid.

Cheers.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Im probably being blind and stupid.
Not at all.

To the best of my knowledge, Gibson pre-assembles all the wiring and drops everything in through the bridge pickup opening. They have special tools to guide the controls to the holes they go through. Not an easy task, really.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
carefully. ive looked at my 335 style guitar and thought about how i would rewire it if i wanted to. it looks like you would have to use some forcepts or pliers to get the pots out of the f holes. then you could mess with the wiring from there. if there is a better way, i would love to find out what it is.
This should help: http://www.kevinyates.com/ES_335_re-wire/index.html

I've heard of lots of people rewiring Dots and similar... apparently the trick is to tie fishing line around the pots etc and pull them through. It's not a quick job but doable it seems.
Fender Thinline Tele 69' RI --- Gibson SG Special --- Epiphone Dot with Bigsby --- Squier Custom Tele II P90 --- Saga LP kit --- Yamaha FG-403MS acoustic
Thanks alot for the replies, glad i wasnt missing something really obvious :P

Looks like Ill have to do some fiddling about with it then, I just really dont like tone knobs, especially two of the f*ckers.

I suppose I could change the pickups whilst Im there if i have spare moneys.

If i do go about doing this then ill take pics and make some sort of tutorial thingy.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Turning them to ten is just putting the treble to the max?
I don't want to do that, I'd rather just the raw sound of the pickups and the dail my EQ on the amp for what I wanna play.
They don't really boost treble, they just cut it - ie, 10 = "raw" sound of the pickup, 0 = pickup with a lot of treble cut.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Not at all.

To the best of my knowledge, Gibson pre-assembles all the wiring and drops everything in through the bridge pickup opening. They have special tools to guide the controls to the holes they go through. Not an easy task, really.

^^^That right there is correct as it gets.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think it would only be worth it if you were to be changing pickups and such. There's really no point in taking things out if your not going to replace them. Also, how would you plan to fill the holes left by the two tone pots? It seems like a huge pain in the ass just to make your guitar less versatile.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Isn't Tone at 10 normal and turning it down just cuts the trebble. So Tone knob at max is same as no tone knobs.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I've seen someone put rubber tubes onto the pots (through the hole then out the pickup cavity) and use them to pull the whole wiring harness into place. Cant remember where, but I'll see if I can find the link.
Turning it to 10 in theory leaves it as close to the natural sound of the pickup as possible yeah, but obviously having a tone pot in the circuit (even turned to 10) makes the guitar sound different to if it were just a volume pot, but yeah not like a catastrophic difference.

I just like to mess about with things for something to do. Plus when I eventually get round to building a guitar ill have some knowledge. And like I said I might change the pickups too.

I have a few guitars and so im not really worried about loosing versitility, and i never use the tone knob anyway.

As far as the holes that will be left on the guitar I dont really care, kinda adds to the character , but I could just dissconnect the tone pots from the circuit but not actually remove them.