What up...Im planning to buy a ibanez rg120 its about 200$, since its so cheap Im going to buy an original floyd rose 180$ and a single emg 81 humbucker 95$, this adds up to 475$ wich I think is pretty good for a guitar with original floyd rose and a emg 81 pickup. Ive never done this before so I want to know if this is possible(installing this parts on the guitar) and if this is a wise choice..if not, why? Thank you.

(I plan to play metal with this guitar just in case)
um... mixing active and passive = no... also this is pretty much like pimping out a tricycle...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Ok what do you mean about the active and pasive pickup mix...I plan to use the bridge pickup only so Ill let the neck one there but come to think of it I wont have a battery slot in the guitar...HELP!!!
Quote by Joyalito
Ok what do you mean about the active and pasive pickup mix...I plan to use the bridge pickup only so Ill let the neck one there but come to think of it I wont have a battery slot in the guitar...HELP!!!

You'd need to create a battery cavity, so basically you'd need to cut a whole in the back of your guitar. I'd recommend getting a skilled person to do it for you.

Also, on RG120's the routing is different to that of a Floyd.

Also, you'd need two actives (e.g EMG 81 + 85), as passives and actives don't mix. Then you'd need to wire them etc. It would probably cost you quite a lot, for the parts, cavity, wiring, routing.

You may be better off just saving and buying a new guitar.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Aug 19, 2009,
Ibanez's are awful, throw it in the bin and get a real guitar

RG 120s arn't routed to take a floyd rose, so you'd have to route it, if you've never done that before that's gonna be hard.

Dont know much about active pickups apart from how **** they sound. I've also heard that it's very hard to mix them with passives.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove

Dont know much about active pickups apart from how **** they sound.

They don't sound crap.
If you play metal / metalcore etc then they're good pickups to use.

Another bandwagon jumper...
RIP Tom Searle.
Even for metal i prefer passives, Im not a metal fan myself, but I know alot of musicians that are, and their passive pickups sound alot better than any active I've heard.

Plus if you decide you want to play something that isnt metal, itll be crappy sounding.

And the added annoyance of having batteries.

I dont ride bandwagons.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
if you play sissy metal they work...

but imo there not got enuff...youknow... guts...

like all the stupid "metal" bands... they all sound like there getting r*ped by cactuses...

80's "heavy metal" ftw
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
I'd skip that guitar, and go for something like This MH50. That way,you only need to replace the pickups. Not only that, the wood's better. Yes, it's almost $100 more expensive, but for good reason. The FR special is a Korean made FR, it's basically an OFR with a zinc block and saddles (cheap replacement down the road).

Also, I'd stay passive.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
I'd skip that guitar, and go for something like This MH50. That way,you only need to replace the pickups. Not only that, the wood's better. Yes, it's almost $100 more expensive, but for good reason. The FR special is a Korean made FR, it's basically an OFR with a zinc block and saddles (cheap replacement down the road).

Gotta agree with this. Even the low end Ltd's sound decent ish.

Get the MH50, then replace the pickups once you've saved up. The floyd on it isn't even that bad for a guitar of that price.
RIP Tom Searle.
If the man wants EMGs, then let him have EMGs. If he likes the tone, let him like the tone. They are good if he's playing lots of metal, and I assume he has another guitar that he can use for clean sounds.

Getting back on topic, this idea of yours can work, but you'll have to be prepared to do some routing. As said before, routing for a floyd rose and a battery cavity would be needed. Since it is a relatively cheap guitar, it might be a good opportunity to gain experience in this sort of thing.

Also, I think it is possible to mix actives and passives, but it's extremely complicated. I'd just rip out the neck pickup if you're not going to use it, or get another active.

EDIT: Or get that ESP up there^^
Last edited by rootbeerjuice at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
... also this is pretty much like pimping out a tricycle...

Agreed!

Unless you are just looking for the "experience" of doing this. THere are MUCH better guitar options out there to "customize". If you like actives, you like 'em....if ya don't ya don't. I think they sound like toe nails on a chalkboard personally. But DON'T let anyone tell you they suck or are the best thing around. If you like 'em, get 'em.
Quote by metal-matt
if you play sissy metal they work...

but imo there not got enuff...youknow... guts...

like all the stupid "metal" bands... they all sound like there getting r*ped by cactuses...

80's "heavy metal" ftw

Exactly, asif all this superdoopermetalextremecore stuff dosn't sound generic enough, without throwing in some generic sounding pickups so you can play some generic sounding palm mutes and pinched harmonics.

Fries my brain.

But i you want EMGs they dont mix with passives.
emgs and passives can be mixed so stop telling the guy they cant be.

Can I mix active and passive pickups?
This from EMG's website:

"It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups.
There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

1. Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls.
The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's [either Full Volume or No Volume].
The passive pickups, however, will work fine.
If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative.
Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K or 500k pots for the passive pickup.
This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects,
but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

2. Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's.
The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

3. This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.
For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar."

try reading up on the subject before giving out ****ty ill informed advice
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Last edited by rancidryan at Aug 20, 2009,
^yes, but it's a PITA to do.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by rancidryan
try reading up on the subject before giving out ****ty ill informed advice

I don't think anyone said it wasn't possible, just that it was hard, which it is, if you've never modified a guitar before.
Quote by Joyalito
What up...Im planning to buy a ibanez rg120 its about 200$, since its so cheap Im going to buy an original floyd rose 180$ and a single emg 81 humbucker 95$, this adds up to 475$ wich I think is pretty good for a guitar with original floyd rose and a emg 81 pickup. Ive never done this before so I want to know if this is possible(installing this parts on the guitar) and if this is a wise choice..if not, why? Thank you.

(I plan to play metal with this guitar just in case)

Just gonna throw this out there, for that much you could probably pick up a used Jackson Dinky which will be a hundred times nicer than an RG 120 could ever be.
Quote by FuzzLove
I don't think anyone said it wasn't possible, just that it was hard, which it is, if you've never modified a guitar before.

Actually 2 or 3 people have.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Cheers
Joyalito
I know this is an old as dirt thread, but have you gone about doing this on your rg? I got mine back in ~2005, and I plan on doing some mods, as it's my backups backup.
Terrible Idea. It will never play properly, and when you're done, you'll be left with a guitar worth about $100.
The price sounds really high for a 100 series Ibanez too. Hope its vintage at $200.