Page 1 of 2
So, it's pretty obvious what 'inspired' me for this thread! Anyways, you know the drill... who didn't or hasn't gotten the props they deserve? Also, remember... don't just consider technique or style, take song writing and 'soul' or attitude into consideration!

Have fun, and play nice!
Jani Liimatainen
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Chad Ginsburg from cKy
Myles and Kyle from Slightly Stoopid

unbelievably underrated.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Vitto Bratta from White Lion
Mick Mars from Motley Crue
Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme
R.I.P foREVer
Tymon Kruidenier, tourer for Cynic.
Bill Keliher from Mastodon.

Many rhythm guitarists who really know their theory get overshadowed by lead guitarists.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Quote by blackjack68
Angus Young, Mick Mars and CC Deville.

Angus is underrated??? hmm
Iron Maiden's guitar trio, but then again I guess Murray and Smith were probably quite well recognised in the 80's. But they don't seem to have "guitar hero" status
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Dave Gilmour, simply because people judge a guitarist on "how fast they can play" or "if they can play eruption". But with Dave Gilmour, he can shred like a demon and he can play eruption but he doesn't do that in his music because it isn't needed. If the music doesn't need a shred solo then there won't be one. Also I bet most of you have heard Shine on you Crazy Diamond, that is just magnificent songwriting and I dont know another guitarist who could write something as epic.

To be honest I think most progressive rock guitarists are underrated because they "don't play fast". But mainly Dave. I mean just listen to Shine on you Crazy Diamond and tell me I'm wrong.

Conca
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult. Greatest guitarist I have ever seen and nobody gives a crap about him.
I'll second Chad I Ginsburg. I saw cKy in Boston about a week ago, and Chad ****ing ripped. It was badass.
Robert Fripp from King Crimson.
Matt Belamy from Muse. He can play very fast, interesting solos, and is very creative with his playing. He's one of the fastest pickers I have ever seen. Listen to the solo from Invincible.
The guitarists from At The Gates don't get enough recognition. They were genius riff writers and could play extremely fast and with precision.
Andy Laroque and the other guy from King Diamond. Spectacular solos and riffs, but no one knows who they are.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Last edited by pitobodies at Aug 20, 2009,
I dont know if this counts, but I think that Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's highly under-rated, especially in terms of technique.

And I think that Jeff Buckley as a guitarist is often overlooked as well.
Extremely creative playing from both of em.
under-rated
Marco Wreidt of Axxis because no-one's heard of him and he's a great player.

Over-rated
Alexi Laiho, he's a deccent player but too many people God worship him
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Eric Clapton should be up there with Hendrix, but for some reason he seems to be a step below him , which I think is crap. Listen to Claptons live improv and tell me I'm wrong.
Quote by Windwaker
Guthrie Govan.

you think he's under rated?

He's awesome, everyone knows he's awesome. I've never heard a person rate him anything but awesome (or any equivalent word)

I'd say he's a great player and that in general, he's.... properly rated.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 20, 2009,
I'd say Guthrie Govan indeed
Just becouse he's so great, it's impossible to worship him enough WRRAAAAHAHAHAAA!!!

Kirk Hammett is underrated, everyone thinks he has bad thechnique but the reality is that he has great noise technique! hihi

Anyway I have no idea...
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Last edited by Kurai X at Aug 20, 2009,
Greg Brown from Cake
Jimmie Vaughan, SRV's brother
Buckethead
Dave Grohl
Rivers Cuomo
Never met a wise man. If so, its a woman ~Kurt Cobain
Quote by Windwaker
Guthrie Govan.
Really? Everybody I know that knows of him thinks he's the second coming of Jesus.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
Really? Everybody I know that knows of him thinks he's the second coming of Jesus.

+1
I've never seen/heard him be under rated by anyone...ever.
shred is gaudy music
Some weird choices coming out here. Nuno Bettencourt? He has a signature line of guitars and was the focus of the guitar world for around two years. Buckethead has a lot of followers too.

I'll go;

- Paul Simon (of Simon and Garfunkel, one of the greatest rhythm players ever)
- Noel Gallagher (lead guitarist for Oasis, great catchy hooks and the penatonic is always used just right in their songs)
- Jonny Buckland (lead guitarist for Coldplay, his simple riffs always suit the song just right, and he knows when not to play, which seems to be a lot of the time - hard for a guitarist)
- Jonny Greenwood (lead guitarist for Radiohead, "The Bends" album is just amazing, it sounds fresh even now. Listen to the solo from "Just")

It could go on forever really.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
And I think that Jeff Buckley as a guitarist is often overlooked as well.

I don't idolize many people, but I idolize Jeff Buckley.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Conca
Dave Gilmour, simply because people judge a guitarist on "how fast they can play" or "if they can play eruption". But with Dave Gilmour, he can shred like a demon and he can play eruption but he doesn't do that in his music because it isn't needed. If the music doesn't need a shred solo then there won't be one. Also I bet most of you have heard Shine on you Crazy Diamond, that is just magnificent songwriting and I dont know another guitarist who could write something as epic.

To be honest I think most progressive rock guitarists are underrated because they "don't play fast". But mainly Dave. I mean just listen to Shine on you Crazy Diamond and tell me I'm wrong.

Conca

+1
Quote by Conca

Conca

Any list of greatest guitarists i've ever seen he's been in atleast the top 50.. i'm a huge Floyd fan.. go look how many posts i have in the Floyd thread, but i have to disagree, he's great.. i don't see hardly anybody saying he isn't.
shawn lane, andrew lantimer, mikael åkerfeldt and paul masvidal are some that I come to think of.
hmm, this is a fun one, eh... okay so are we talking about people in the collective consciousness of the now- or of all time- cuz i am sure there was probably a gypsy prodigy or two who could put all of us to shame, right... but heres my list:

EDDIE HAZEL from parlafunkadelament- can i get an AMEN- case in point "good thoughts bad thoughts"... rest my case...
in my pantheon he is second to the mighty hendrix
check out maggot brain(album), standing on the verge of gettin it on(album and song), and the red hot mama extended solo from the box set of 92...

and others in no particular order:

ron eschete- seriously advanced jazz
joe diorio- could play in or out, mostly out from what i heard
rory gallagher- wicked soulful voice and guitar work gotta go live for this one though
robin trower- carried the torch of the voodoo child
frank gambale- (raspberry noise here)
jeff healey- whoa
uli jon roth- whoa
that kid from tahiland playing pachelbel's canon in d- holy whoa
ryan knight (arsus, knifetrade)- hometown shredder with wicked sweeps
gary moore- soulful
the guys from molly hatchet- flitin w disaster is a whos who of rock solos
the guy from the old atlanta band joybang- he was so f'n good w a sg, boss, hiwatt stack
brian chitwood from lawrenceville ga- friggin sick in 88
trent howard- my classical teacher unreal good

and of course- me... lol...

but seriously, props go out to any of you who, like me, work a bs job 9to5 at bad pay and no respect so you can slug it out in the trenches for your dreams... yeah, this beers for yall... ... respect!
master the beginner's mind
Jeff Beck was the only Yardbirds guitarist not to achieve immortal status.
Quote by Jackal58
What? You don't speak wigger? Allow me to translate:
Hai gais I'm a troll!!!!!!
Quote by bolivardogman
shawn lane, andrew lantimer, mikael åkerfeldt and paul masvidal are some that I come to think of.

What? Paul and Shawn are treated as gods. And if Mikael Akerfeldt is the guy from Opeth (i'm not sure, so don't kill me) everyone says he's an amazing guitarist/composer.

Quote by pitobodies

Matt Belamy from Muse. He can play very fast, interesting solos, and is very creative with his playing. He's one of the fastest pickers I have ever seen. Listen to the solo from Invincible.

1) That whole solo is tapping.
2) Many, many Muse fans treat him as a god. And any guitarists that have really listened to him know that he is a good/great guitarist, and an amazing songwriter.
jason becker and shawn lane were extremely under appreciated
Classical Guitarist
Jasun Tipton from Zero Hour and his bro Troy on bass: two extraordinary players no one seems to talk about.
I think Brain May from Queen is VERY underrated...... he has his own guitar 'tone', he can shred easily and is also composes great solos..... more importantly, he plays rhythm and lead at the same time...
Quote by DiminishedFifth
What? Paul and Shawn are treated as gods. And if Mikael Akerfeldt is the guy from Opeth (i'm not sure, so don't kill me) everyone says he's an amazing guitarist/composer.

paul and shawn are definitely not treated as gods, theyre extremely unknown compared to endless inferiour guitarists. åkerfeldt is also mostly recognized for his composing skills and vocals, not really for his guitar chops.
Heh i rkn Brian May Tops the list of this in my opinion

Seriously, if you listen to queen closely, they are all great musicians, and nobody really sees them as the great individuals they are. Probably because of how well they play together
Overrated(as far as purely technical playing goes)
Slash
Jimi Hendrix
Kirk Hammett
James Hetfield
Kurt Cobain

I don't want to generalize but it just seems to me that most "rock 'n roll" guitarists generally aren't really that proficient as, players, as musicians they're amazing and all but as a guitar player they lack alot of skills that seem more prevalent in todays music, as far as i can tell.

bah I'll just get flamed for this anyways.
Teppei Teranishi. If you tell any shredder, who has never heard of Thrice before, to play one of Thrice's lead parts (Artist in the Ambulance, Stare at the Sun, even Deadbolt... etc), there is a 99% chance he can't play it. I've tried this on a few friends already and nobody's been able to play it the same day they learn it.
Quote by bolivardogman
paul and shawn are definitely not treated as gods, theyre extremely unknown compared to endless inferiour guitarists. åkerfeldt is also mostly recognized for his composing skills and vocals, not really for his guitar chops.

Unknown =/= Underrated

And I can agree on the Akerfeldt comment.

I think there's alot of OVERrated guitarists, but i'm not too sure on underrated... hmm..

Uruha and Aoi from the GazettE and Die and Kaoru from Dir en grey are all phenomenal guitarists, they just don't feel the need to show it.

In the category of unknown, Miyavi is rather unknown outside of Japan, but he learned guitar like a bass and, one way or another, he makes it work really well. He's a great guitarist, but I just could never really get into his music too much.
Page 1 of 2