I'm an avid electric guitarist who has been getting increasingly more interested in picking up an acoustic, but I really am not sure what to look for when shopping and trying out acoustics.

I've heard Taylors, Martins and Breedloves are nice acoustics, but I'm trying to keep the price under $1000 USD, so I was wondering what I should be looking for in an acoustic, also which brands to stay away from/what styles of acoustics. I've heard laminant tops and cut aways aren't always the best options. However I really like the look of flame maple acoustics (even though they are rare).

Anyways, any acoustic shopping advice, suggestions on sub-$1000 acoustics or any acoustic general knowledge would be greatly appreciated here guys.

Thanks in advance.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Basically, at your price range, you should be getting all solid wood. And as far as I know, a lot of flame maple acoustics made of all solid wood are reeeeeeeeeealy expensive. But who said that cutaways were bad? They don't affect tone (or so I'm told, and if they do it's very minor), they're just kind of a preference type thing; some people like to have them, some people don't. I think some Martins and Taylors in this price range are good, not sure though (someone correct me), and breedlove makes some very very nice stuff. If You can look around used, you'll be able to get a lot more for your money, which is always nice to do.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Ohh used it where its at, I totally agree and will be searching diligently to find a nice used acoustic, but first I really need to know what I'm looking for to help with the search hahaha.

Actually I'd prefer a cut away cause I'd have access to the higher frets, but I've also seen full bodied acoustics that allow access to the 14th-15th fret, which is plenty I think.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Found a Larivee L-03R on craigslist for $1000 USD, don't know many acoustic brands, is this a solid acoustic? Any experience with Larivee's could tell me abit about them?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
It really depends what sort of playing you want to do and what tone you want. Your best option at the moment (if you're not yet sure what you're looking for, I'm judging this is the case based on your first post) is to head down to a good music shop and try everything you can get your hands on that's in your price range. From that you'll be able to narrow it down to what brands you like, what shapes you like, maybe even what woods you like and if you were to ask here with all that info you'd have a much better chance of getting some good reliable suggestions.
^That's good advice right there.

Now, to help you out a little bit as far as knowledge, read through the A&C FAQ in the announcements
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks for the info, definitely plan on sitting in a huge acoustic room and picking up anything over 500 and under 1500, just to get a feel, then I'll come back in here with a little more details on what i'm looking for.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Spend some time with a couple of Seagulls and Takamines for sure. I don't think I've ever really been disappointed with them.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray