Hey guys. I wonder, do Gibson still make quality guitars like they used to (if they did make quality guitars when they started out, I haven't done my research lol) or have they slumped under demand and gone for Quantity over Quality? I think I heard somewhere that their guitars were hand-made, which doesn't suprise me that their guitars sound so good! And if you're wondering what this has to do with the iPod, its this. iPod's used to be the best thing on the market. Well, they still are you're thinking, and you'd be right. But apparently the quality has slumped, and Apple have gone for Quantity over Quality. Now, iPod's are still the best thing out there, but not as good as they used to be (apparently). I have been told that iPod has gone for Quantity over Quality. Please let me know what the deal is with Gibson!
Well most people will say the quality control is bad. While that is true, there is also the fact that no two handmade instruments will be exactly the same. There are good ones, and there are sub-par ones, and some are just plain bad.

If you're going to buy a Gibson, try several of the same model and pick the one that feels and sounds the best to you.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well most people will say the quality control is bad. While that is true, there is also the fact that no two handmade instruments will be exactly the same. There are good ones, and there are sub-par ones, and some are just plain bad.

If you're going to buy a Gibson, try several of the same model and pick the one that feels and sounds the best to you.

This.

Also, Gibson definitely isn't as good as they used to be, but they're still good guitars.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Back when the iPod first came out, what did it have to compete against? Cheap little mp3 players that could hold maybe 10 songs WITH a memory card you had to buy seperatly.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Back when the iPod first came out, what did it have to compete against? Cheap little mp3 players that could hold maybe 10 songs WITH a memory card you had to buy seperatly.

ipods didnt really boom in popularity untill the video came out... first generation ipods looked horrible like you were listening to a brick with headphones attached to it.
iPod have actually never been the best on the market, in terms of build quality or features. Creative have been making digital media players since a few years before Apple and their players consistently have bigger hard drives, faster hard drives, bigger and clearer screens, more media types supported, longer battery life, many more applications and features (even basic things - Creative Zen had radio support years before Apple ever got around to adding it to any iPod models), etc etc etc. They're also built like brick ****houses, you can drop them out of a sixth story window and they'll survive.

However, back when they first started, digital media players weren't in vogue so it was next to impossible for Creative to market them properly. Then Apple came along and used their fanboy Mac userbase to market their iPods, and they simply took over from that base. There has never been any technical, features or quality ground for why iPod has been successful, it's purely because even though other companies have done much better products for much longer, Apple was simply an initially bigger company and so had more brand recognition and plain more money to pour into advertising.

And this is coming from someone who uses an iPod, and used to use an iMac.

As for Gibson, the two don't correlate. The iPod analogy doesn't hold water so the whole topic is rendered pointless.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ok random but has anyone else heard the stories about the exploding ipod touch/iphones? I'd say that's a quality issue... lol
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Quote by JTBach
ok random but has anyone else heard the stories about the exploding ipod touch/iphones? I'd say that's a quality issue... lol

more like battery issue and they dont even make the batterys. remember when dell laptop batterys were recalled? same thing.
Quote by MrFlibble
iPod have actually never been the best on the market, in terms of build quality or features. Creative have been making digital media players since a few years before Apple and their players consistently have bigger hard drives, faster hard drives, bigger and clearer screens, more media types supported, longer battery life, many more applications and features (even basic things - Creative Zen had radio support years before Apple ever got around to adding it to any iPod models), etc etc etc. They're also built like brick ****houses, you can drop them out of a sixth story window and they'll survive.

However, back when they first started, digital media players weren't in vogue so it was next to impossible for Creative to market them properly. Then Apple came along and used their fanboy Mac userbase to market their iPods, and they simply took over from that base. There has never been any technical, features or quality ground for why iPod has been successful, it's purely because even though other companies have done much better products for much longer, Apple was simply an initially bigger company and so had more brand recognition and plain more money to pour into advertising.

And this is coming from someone who uses an iPod, and used to use an iMac.

As for Gibson, the two don't correlate. The iPod analogy doesn't hold water so the whole topic is rendered pointless.

I will look into Creative. Yeah, iPods are big and stuff, but they held tonnes of music, and they are the EASIEST music player I have ever heard of. I would like to get my hands on a Zune, as they have Bluetooth so ya can send songs and videos etc. by the players!
my new gibson les paul standard was great after a good set up, but why couldn't gibson make sure it was set up properly when it left the factory? why did i pay over £1000 for it and then have to pay another £30 to get the nut filed down and bridge adjusted.

mind you i have just had to go through a similar experience with a new fender strat, so gibson
aint the only ones.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
i bought a Gibson BFG Les Paul on ebay and it plays like a dream. not sure of the year, but i think it would have been a 2006 at the earliest. not all gibsons are crap i think people just like to complain about things more than they like to praise them
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by dr_john
my new gibson les paul standard was great after a good set up, but why couldn't gibson make sure it was set up properly when it left the factory? why did i pay over £1000 for it and then have to pay another £30 to get the nut filed down and bridge adjusted.

mind you i have just had to go through a similar experience with a new fender strat, so gibson
aint the only ones.

They charged £30 for cutting into the nut and adjusting the bridge?

Gibson still makes some great guitars, just try them out and pick out the one that you like. Don't be suprised if you have to adjust the action, its kind of expected of any guitar. While Gibson does set the guitar action up at the factory, they can't know your exact personal preference for string gauge, action height, etc.

Additionally, many things will affect the setup of the guitar, such as shipping and temperature changes. When you get to the guitar, chances are that it is not set up exactly as it was in the factory due to it being bumped around, having the wood expand, etc.

Some music stores will take the initiative and set up the guitar properly in order for people to play it, like it, and buy it. However some stores (such as Guitar Center) don't even keep most of their guitars in tune, much less set them up.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
iPods like Gibson certainly aren't the best. The have large brand recognition and large sales, but there are many smaller guys who make superior products.

Like my Sandisk sansa, it's titanium, cost less than the nano it competes with, support more formats, records audio and has a radio all with a 24 hour battery.

You could liken that to a PRS or something similar.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Quote by Xeron Brigs
They charged £30 for cutting into the nut and adjusting the bridge?

when i say 'adjusting the bridge' i mean a full set up for action and intonation, plus checking and adjusting the truss rod. gibson had put in a ridiculously high nut which also needed taking down.

£30 is not unreasonable at all for a set up. it's going to take an hour, say, to do, and if you look at labour rates in most industries £30/hour is very cheap. for example, when i take my car for a service at my local honda dealers it costs around £60 / hour.

welcome to the real world.
- Jimi Hendrix
You shouldn't compare Gibson guitars, a work of art that last over a hundred years, to a crappy plastic explodes-when-you-drop-it consumable product aimed at preppy social climbers. I mean, people don't throw away Gibsons when a newer model comes out.

P.S. Yes, I own a 2nd Gen iPod Touch. I'm not bashing them out of jealousy. It's just, guitars are NOT consumable products.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by BrickIsRed

P.S. Yes, I own a 2nd Gen iPod Touch. I'm not bashing them out of jealousy. It's just, guitars are NOT consumable products.

ha! just messing.

op i know what you're saying, so if you're into gibson then pick a good one, like said.

there are many companies that start the ball rolling with their product.
but companies are run into the ground all the time. certainly things will change
as the years go on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by dr_john
when i say 'adjusting the bridge' i mean a full set up for action and intonation, plus checking and adjusting the truss rod. gibson had put in a ridiculously high nut which also needed taking down.

£30 is not unreasonable at all for a set up. it's going to take an hour, say, to do, and if you look at labour rates in most industries £30/hour is very cheap. for example, when i take my car for a service at my local honda dealers it costs around £60 / hour.

welcome to the real world.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. To me, spending nearly $50 for a job that I can easily do myself seems a little high.

Why spend money when you don't have to?
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Xeron Brigs
I suppose it depends on how you look at it. To me, spending nearly $50 for a job that I can easily do myself seems a little high.

Precisely, I always try to learn how to do it myself, and won't hire someone else unless I have to.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Mayonaise 812
ipods didnt really boom in popularity untill the video came out... first generation ipods looked horrible like you were listening to a brick with headphones attached to it.

^ remember that ****? 1st-gen iPod "Mini." Still works too
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by TheFingerling
I will look into Creative. Yeah, iPods are big and stuff, but they held tonnes of music, and they are the EASIEST music player I have ever heard of. I would like to get my hands on a Zune, as they have Bluetooth so ya can send songs and videos etc. by the players!

+1 to Zune. I have the 4GB one and it has survived ridiculous amounts of abuse, and its the cheapest way to get legal music, and I got mine for 60 bucks.

Thank you pawn shops
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
+1 to Zune. I have the 4GB one and it has survived ridiculous amounts of abuse, and its the cheapest way to get legal music, and I got mine for 60 bucks.

Thank you pawn shops

I had the original 120GB, but I forgot to take it out of my pocket when I jmuped in the pool >.< now I have an 8GB
I had one of the first ipod nanos and it worked great...for about a year then the battery life died and instead of lasting 14 hours i would be lucky if it lasted 2 hours. The same happened with every other Ipod I got (a new nano, and an Ipod video) and of course the battery isnt covered under warranty...so yeah I think the quality has gone down for Ipods.
With Gibsons...from what I have heard the quality has gone down. The guy who used to run a guitar store in my town would tell me stories about people bringing in Gibsons because they had problems. This one guy bought a Gibson Les Paul over the internet (big mistake) and he brought it in because the neck was too thin for the body. The neck should've been thrown out right away when they made it...but instead whoever made the guitar decided to fill in the gaps with glue and didn't even bother to smooth the glue down afterwards. But this just goes to prove that if you are going to buy an expensive guitar...buy it in person and try it out don't risk buying it over the internet!
Quote by MrFlibble
There has never been any technical, features or quality ground for why iPod has been successful

multitouch? the clickwheel? flawless+beautiful design?
Quote by Zmatt
iPods like Gibson certainly aren't the best. The have large brand recognition and large sales, but there are many smaller guys who make superior products.

Like my Sandisk sansa, it's titanium, cost less than the nano it competes with, support more formats, records audio and has a radio all with a 24 hour battery.

You could liken that to a PRS or something similar.

Hmmm, I had one of those that lasted 3 months until the headphone jack broke. I then bought a 2nd gen nano that lasted 2 years until I sold it. When it comes to electronics you get what you pay for. The Sansa may be cheaper and have more features, but the iPod is made with better components.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Quote by Xeron Brigs

well it's a good job everybody doesn't think that way, otherwise the economy would break down.
- Jimi Hendrix
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I had the original 120GB, but I forgot to take it out of my pocket when I jmuped in the pool >.< now I have an 8GB
ah thats rough, i did the same with my last cell phone...

I like my 4 gigger, but im certainly pumped for the Zune HD. I really hope it stacks up to the iTouch
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I haven't read any of the thread so all this may have already been put out.

About iPod: 90% of the people saying crap about iPods have never owned one. For some reason, people seem to all say that popular things are always crap.

If you've own an iPod, and don't like it, that's cool, and an opinion. but if you just say stuff because everyone else says it, stop.

I love my iPod. Now that could be completely away from what this thread is about...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I despise iPods. The way they are set up is annoying as hell and the iTouch touchscreen is far too sensitive.

I despise Zunes as well. While more manageable than an iPod, still a rip off.

Here's a good story...
About a week ago I needed a new mp3 player because my old Sansa broke. I was looking at iPods. There were 2GB and 4 GB iPod shuffles. The 2GB was $50 and the 4GB was $70.

Why the hell would I buy a 4GB mp3 player without a screen for $70? I wouldn't. You can't persuade me otherwise. I bought a Philips GoVibe 4 GB mp3 player for $50.

Anyway, Gibsons. I'm not too familiar with Gibsons. Though I love the SG Robot and Faded Flying V. The Faded Flying V was in surprisingly good condition, and the tuning computer on the SG Robot didn't work, but it still played beautifully. And I'm not sure why, but the bridge pickup on both of them was incredibly high...

Though I've heard that some Gibons end up being total crap...