Hi guys, I'm new on the forums just found you guys out of desperation looking for a guitar online. Id like to say just a little bit about myself so you kinda have an idea the player I may want to be, or the guitar I may want to buy. First off I decided recently to get going with the Guitar because Suddenly I had a realization that playing video games for 40 hours a week was not a very productive hobby. As a college student I figured by now I should already know how to play some sort of instrument but I did not. So I decided to quit my video game hobby for something a bit more productive and so this is a big reason of why I am here.

I have seen a ton of videos on youtube and most of them say to ask some one who knows about Guitars when you are going to buy your first Guitar. I hardly anyone at all who plays guitar, and I know even less people who play an Acoustic guitar. I actually don't know anyone who plays Acoustic guitar. I happen to really like the Acoustic though, the idea of not having to need any amps, and the sweet melody of the guitar are very relaxing.

I know there are many types of Guitar. I also know the type of Music that I enjoy playing (Mariachi Mexican Traditional and some Musica Española). Growing up in Mexico I was exposed to many types of Acoustic Guitars and I really don't know which one to get!

There are some that have White plastic strings, and some that have Metal strings, some are small, some are big, some have a round back. I don't really know the kinda guitar I want to get but I do know its in the Acoustic side of things.

I want to be able to play traditional music, a lot of stuff from Spain and the 1600-1800's as well as lots of Traditional Mexican Mariachi music.

Basically from all this What kind of guitar should I buy?

My budget is around $150.00 or so.

Thank you to all who take the time to read and reply
Go to a music store and play. We can't choose your preferences for you.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
EDIT: didn't read it sorry.... acoustic, yeah ^this

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Aug 19, 2009,
You need nylon strings for what you want to play. Which means a classical guitar, not a folk guitar.

Classical guitars often don't have a cut in the body to access the higher frets, if you see what I mean, but some have it, and I personnally think it's better, because it's easier to play high notes. Ask a seller.

Your reason of starting guitar is a good one, I also started because of video games sort of addiction, and it worked (4 years ago). I hope it will for you too. Keep in mind that no song is impossible to play, you just need to put the right amount of time practicing.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
if you want to be able to play mariachi and spanish music, i think a classical guitar with nylon strings would be best for you.

THIS. Really. Nylon string acoustics are made for this kind of music basically. If you do get a nylong string guitar, make sure that when you restring it, you use ONLY NYLON STRINGS. Just saying. Thought I'd tell you that now and not later.

but yeah, head down to your local guitar center or other guitar store, and look around in the acoustic guitar section, more so for a nylon string acoustic if you're interested in that kind of music.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Alright ill check some out, so buying online is not a very good idea at this time, no one here ever got their instrument online?
I've never purchased a guitar online before, but I have purchased a few pedals and stuff online...for your first guitar though, your best bet would be to buy it from your local shop.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Alright thanks. One more thing

How much would be around average to spend on a solid nylon string Spanish guitar. Nothing to fancy just something for maybe first and second year of playing.
Well, you want to get a guitar that is good enough to keep you from becoming disinterested in the instrument. What do I mean by that though? A crappy guitar can become uninspiring.

I have no real knowledge of classical guitars, but I know this about acoustic guitars: make sure you get a guitar with a solid top. What does that mean? It means that the top of the guitar (soundboard, part with the hole) is constructed from a solid piece of wood rather than a piece of laminate wood, as most cheaper guitars are made of.

Again, my classical knowledge is limited, but a basic rule of thumb is that acoustic guitars aren't worth the money until the $300 new range. Good luck dude!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Anything out there for a guy with monster huge hands? My biggest problem with steel string Guitars is the neck is so thin i have to make my hand into a ball just to press on the strings.

From the beginning of the palm of my hand measured up to the tip of my middle finger My hand is 8.4 inches long Very thin hands but very long ones too ><
Last edited by alazar14 at Aug 20, 2009,
Sounds about the same as my hands. for big hands!

Anyways, classical guitars, which is what you should be looking at, have quite possibly the BIGGEST necks of any instrument my hands have ever touched. Quite comfortable really if you really do have trash can hands
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Yeah, if you're look at getting a classical guitar and you've got big hands, you're all set. Classical necks are wider than just about all steel string necks. I don't know much about classical guitars, but I can assure you the necks are wider than any guitar I own.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

big hands > small hands
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid