Hey UG community,

I'm writing this post to see if anyone else is sharing a similar experience to some of the customers at our shop who have in the past 3 months purchased the new updated Marshall MG series amplifiers. The reason most of these customers bought these over the old ones or any other line they were looking at was because you could finally switch on and off your FX/reverb/channels seperately, whereas before the effect was always on no matter which channel you were on, and you couldn't mix them together except on the upper models....anyways, the issue is these customers have ALL been waiting on the new Marshall 4 button footswitch for these amps, since it allows users easy on off of the effects while playing live, and has a tuner built in...this item has been in our price lists since May...and no one at our distributors or at Marshall is giving any straight answers as to when they will be available.

Both ourselves and the customers are getting a little frustrated, and being on the salesfloor myself and our staff take most of the flak when the companies have made a product available, but can't back it up with the benefits that they push as a major selling feature and improvement on the older version for a higher cost. Thankfully some customers understand, and one customer who called in today who bought an MG100 2x12 in mid-June asked if we could give him the number of the Marshall rep for Canada so he could call him and give him a piece of his mind.

Upon further research....NO ONE in North America has these items yet, even musiciansfriend still says "pre-order", but yet it's in the price list, and we were told we could start ordering them back in April when we started receiving the amps. Europe supposedly has some "in stock" according to a few websites...but has anyone in North America gotten one? if not, please share your experiences with similar issues of a company not providing what they've advertised in a timely fasion, or better yet, let me know if you've had issues in the past with accessories from various companies.

Cheers,

Dave
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Last edited by Demon_dave at Aug 19, 2009,
UG community. not UM.

EDIT: and i'm not too interested into the Marshall MG's, but that is quite frusturating
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Aug 19, 2009,
i replaced my MG with an amp that doesn't sound like pissed off bees..... does that help at all?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I wonder how many people are gonna click on this thread to jump on the "buy a new amp" bandwagon before realising it's a genuine thread.

To contribute, or not, I have absolutely no retail experience or experience with Marshall. However, it doesn't sound unreasonable to stop selling them and write (Yes, write, not email) a letter of complaint to Marshall.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by randomhero93
UG community. not UM.

EDIT: and i'm not too interested into the Marshall MG's, but that is quite frusturating

Thanks, edited it.

Very frustrating, especially when for about a month (July) our rep was like "should be 2 weeks...." (2 1/2 weeks later) "delayed shipping, should be this week" and now we're almost 3 weeks into August....and still nothing.
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
This is pretty common with product launches really. Especially with something like this. I wouldn't worry about it too much. People will just have to wait. Personally, I'd move them over to a different amp, but that's just me.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This is pretty common with product launches really. Especially with something like this. I wouldn't worry about it too much. People will just have to wait. Personally, I'd move them over to a different amp, but that's just me.

+1 on the whole post
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

We're a small fish in the sea since we're an independant, so I'm thinking my boss (the owner) will do something for the guy since he's bought a lot of stuff from us and it's his son who bought the amp with a 4x12 extension just so it could run through that and looked better on stage, but he's done 3 shows where it's no better than his old Marshall MG100DFX combo that broke down when he came in looking for the new one (at the time the DFX's weren't all gone and it was about $130 less for the old one, he chose the new one based solely on the FX on/off capability with the footswitch and the slightly nicer tone)
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
Quote by Demon_dave
... all gone and it was about $130 less for the old one, he chose the new one based solely on the FX on/off capability with the footswitch and the slightly nicer tone)

Heh, that tells you a lot about how much Marshall has improved the tone on the series 4 MGs.

Also I understand your frustration. It might be a good idea to pre-empt future customers who are interested in the MG as well... not that its a good idea to buy an MG as well.

Short of a service recovery, I'm not certain how else you can make up for Marshall's "commitment to timely delivery". lol
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Demon_dave
We're a small fish in the sea since we're an independant, so I'm thinking my boss (the owner) will do something for the guy since he's bought a lot of stuff from us and it's his son who bought the amp with a 4x12 extension just so it could run through that and looked better on stage, but he's done 3 shows where it's no better than his old Marshall MG100DFX combo that broke down when he came in looking for the new one (at the time the DFX's weren't all gone and it was about $130 less for the old one, he chose the new one based solely on the FX on/off capability with the footswitch and the slightly nicer tone)

They have a tendancy to break down.

I'm just say'in I wouldn't sell them. There are at least 3,000 threads on UG about MGs breaking down. Why are you worried about a delayed footpedal. It's not just this Marshall stuff either. Peavey tube Vypyrs were delayed at least 6 months. The new Peavey 6505+ 112 is going on a 6 month delay. They want to work the bugs out as best they can before shipping to the streets.

just biz

Moral of the story: Sell Peaveys.

Edit: I was kidding....sheeeash!

Sell every tube Marshall you can. Sell Peavey Vypyrs, Valvekings, Windors, and XXXs, 5150/6505, Bandits used when you can instead of an MG. That's what I meant. That is all...
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 19, 2009,
Well his big need (at least the customer I spoke with today for his son) is a switch on stage that allows him to go through the effects on and off individually, and the only other option from lines we carry would be to get a Line 6 Spider III 150 Head and cab and the FBV express pedal, but he wasn't fond of the tone when he was in back in June, and we won't be seeing spider IV's for a while, not that it's anything different except a few more effects and amp models for a higher price.

Vox has nothing because we are ALSO in the same boat with the VOX VT4 4 button footswitches for the new VT, we've been waiting on one of those since March for a customer, still no sign of them either. Outside of that without a multi-effect pedal in the mix there's no other amp that'll have the effects built in with the capability to switch them on and off without physically going over to the amp to do so (no we don't carry Peavey, yes I know the Vypers would do it also)
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
They have a tendancy to break down.

I'm just say'in I wouldn't sell them. There are at least 3,000 threads on UG about MGs breaking down. Why are you worried about a delayed footpedal. It's not just this Marshall stuff either. Peavey tube Vypyrs were delayed at least 6 months. The new Peavey 6505+ 112 is going on a 6 month delay. They want to work the bugs out as best they can before shipping to the streets.

just biz

Moral of the story: Sell Peaveys.

Peavey we don't carry, nightmare of a company to deal with at least on the Canadian end of it at least regarding warranty etc. They used to carry them about 6 years ago until the Bandits/Studio solid states started coming back in droves, and all the heads started being made overseas. My XXL was one of the last "Made in U.S.A. units they had at the time before Peavey switched, and we had issues just getting parts since they were now being made overseas and the U.S. parts from the previous models didn't always match up exactly. Epiphone we've also had issues with, took us about 4 months to find the right humbucker covers for a guy with a 2004 epi les paul custom...gibson ones didn't fit, the actual epi ones didn't fit (for the "new" ones they started putting out in 2007 from China), so eventually we found some from WD that were made for Les paul copies that fit perfectly...made you wonder if that's all Epiphone was doing several years back at their factories overseas to cut corners.

Sometimes working within the industry when you are a consumer as well makes you feel bad about where things are heading
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
personally i think mg's are crap but, anyway.

why dont you try other foot switches, see if you can get the functions to work with an alternate switch.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
personally i think mg's are crap but, anyway.

why dont you try other foot switches, see if you can get the functions to work with an alternate switch.

We only had a JVM 4 button that comes with the JVM205H we had in stock, no go. Customer has a 2 button for channel switching, but it does nothing for the effects on and off.
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
i'd research that. look everywhere and contact marshall.
i mean, you don't know when they're coming out.

it's your ass on the line, find a switch that turns on the fx.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i remember the first time i walked into my locally owned guitar shop. I had been playing guitar that had been purchased from walmart for about six months and decided it was time to upgrade and get a silvertone strat with an amp. I wanted to get a marshall mg 30 watt but the guy in the shop told me to go with a cube 30. That was almost seven years ago and I don't think I'll ever forget that guy. Be that guy.
Quote by ghostmouse859
i remember the first time i walked into my locally owned guitar shop. I had been playing guitar that had been purchased from walmart for about six months and decided it was time to upgrade and get a silvertone strat with an amp. I wanted to get a marshall mg 30 watt but the guy in the shop told me to go with a cube 30. That was almost seven years ago and I don't think I'll ever forget that guy. Be that guy.

There's a reason I didn't want to go work at un-named corporate chains and why I've stuck where I am for lower pay...I've got a conscience, but this guy tried out what we had and he still liked that marshall tone the best. I'm also not on comission, so I get nothing if he had bought a line 6 or even the old marshall for less compared with what he did get...based on what the customer wanted, that met his needs, and we ordered that pedal the next day (for the main case in question), but now since it's been about 11 weeks for him and about the same for another customer, we get calls every few days "what's the ETA?" and all we can keep telling them is "no one has any, we have it on order, there's no ETA from Marshall, and our rep just says 'any day now'". It's aggrivating as all hell when I was trying to get the guy exactly what he wanted.
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
we have the vox vt footswitch. not sure on the mg, never sold one. do your job and do your good client a favor, rec something else...
seem like the best you can do is inform the customer that your store is "not responsible for Marshall's timely delivery of products"
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
seem like the best you can do is inform the customer that your store is "not responsible for Marshall's timely delivery of products"

done that, but he wants to return it, our policy is 7 day exchange, and it was bought about 2 1/2 months ago now, and technically it is "used", therefore we can't resell it with full warranty as new. I'll have to see what my boss says tomorrow.

Also anyone think either the Fender ULT-4 might work? it's the 4 button switch for the G-Dec series Fender amps, it's about the same price.

other than that there is another marshall 4 button for the new Haze series...which clearly labels "reverb" and "effect" as a direct on off...but guess what? it's also "preorder" all over north america/0 stock.
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
Quote by jj1565
i'd research that. look everywhere and contact marshall.
i mean, you don't know when they're coming out.

it's your ass on the line, find a switch that turns on the fx.

+1

If they are delayed for the TS they are probably delayed for everyone. Not sure how extensive this FX pedal is. For all I know it is propriatary to Marshall MGs. Like the Samperas for Peavey etc.

Another moral: Don't buy a product in the hopes that a future accessory is going to fix everything and make it better. Buyer beware ya'll!
Update:

supposedly these pedals are arriving next week sometime for North America in Montreal according to our Marshall rep who was in the store Friday morning. We should have them by this coming Friday, customer was happy enough with that because he said his son really likes the tone of the amp, and this was the only thing he needed to have his ideal live rig. So things seem to have worked out
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear: