#1
Hi, my birthday is coming up soon and I want to get a new amp. I play heavy metal like Children of Bodom but I also want a nice clean tone for some blues. I have looked at the Peavey Vypyr and Vox VT-50. My budget is somewhere around 600$.
Any amps that you would recommend for my playing?
P.S. I want to use it for small gigs and for band practice.

Edit: Would the MG4 series suit me?
Last edited by SynAce at Aug 19, 2009,
#2
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Hands down.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
#4
Quote by tatatotfolife
Vox Night Train with an OD pedal


I'm looking forward to a combo, cause I don't have a cab.
#5
The VOX VT-50 might be too light for your tastes, it's got a couple high gain amp models, and the preamp tube sweetens the tone a tad...but overall for COB you probably wouldn't enjoy it. I noticed Alexi's rig has changed to VHT power amps running through marshall cabs, but I'm not sure what his distortion engine is unless the VHT power amp has that built in somehow.

either way solid state, the Peavey Vyper or a Line 6 Spider III or IV would probably suit you fine, for tubes, the Line 6 Spider valves offer you a tube palette with those high gain "metal" and "insane" amp models to tweak around, you could definitely get a nice COB tone from it no question (besides the preset bank has ones for Killswitch Engage/Msehuggah/Lacuna Coil among others ). Just gotta try it out, but you've gotta ask yourself do you want to go tube or solid state.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
#6
Quote by Demon_dave
The VOX VT-50 might be too light for your tastes, it's got a couple high gain amp models, and the preamp tube sweetens the tone a tad...but overall for COB you probably wouldn't enjoy it. I noticed Alexi's rig has changed to VHT power amps running through marshall cabs, but I'm not sure what his distortion engine is unless the VHT power amp has that built in somehow.

either way solid state, the Peavey Vyper or a Line 6 Spider III or IV would probably suit you fine, for tubes, the Line 6 Spider valves offer you a tube palette with those high gain "metal" and "insane" amp models to tweak around, you could definitely get a nice COB tone from it no question (besides the preset bank has ones for Killswitch Engage/Msehuggah/Lacuna Coil among others ). Just gotta try it out, but you've gotta ask yourself do you want to go tube or solid state.


Thanks for the advice, but I was wondering what your take on Line 6 Spiders were.
Many people on the UG forums tend to say that Spiders are pieces of crap, but what is your opinion?
#7
I played a Bugera 6262 212 last week and it blew me away. I plan on getting one in the next coming weeks. It had a ridiculous amount of gain (easily did Bodom) and good cleans. Try one out see if you like it.
daytripper75

Bullieve


Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
#8
I can get you a brand new Spider Valve HD100 head for $450 or the 1x12 combo for $400, from Musicians Friend if you're interested.

The Spider Valves are different than the Spiders, sound a whole lot better IMO. Plus, they offer tons of versatility.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 19, 2009,
#9
Quote by MatrixClaw
I can get you a brand new Spider Valve HD100 head for $450 or the 1x12 combo for $400, from Musicians Friend if you're interested.

The Spider Valves are different than the Spiders, sound a whole lot better IMO. Plus, they offer tons of versatility.


I see.
I probably would get the combo for I do not have a cab.
Do you think the Mg4 series by Marshall would suit me?
#10
Quote by SynAce
Thanks for the advice, but I was wondering what your take on Line 6 Spiders were.
Many people on the UG forums tend to say that Spiders are pieces of crap, but what is your opinion?


If you were looking at spending around $600 I'd say jump on a spider valve for what you're looking to do. The Vox VT series is about 65% classic rock/clean vintage VOX models and the other 35% are older marshalls/mesa boogie models, and it's not full tube either.

The spider valve will probably be the best option for you, and metalheads do often dig the tone of it as well as the metal presets such as the ones for Meshuggah/Killswitch Engage/As I Lay Dying etc.

Cheers
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
#11
Quote by Demon_dave
If you were looking at spending around $600 I'd say jump on a spider valve for what you're looking to do. The Vox VT series is about 65% classic rock/clean vintage VOX models and the other 35% are older marshalls/mesa boogie models, and it's not full tube either.

The spider valve will probably be the best option for you, and metalheads do often dig the tone of it as well as the metal presets such as the ones for Meshuggah/Killswitch Engage/As I Lay Dying etc.

Cheers



Does the Spider Valve have a decent clean tone?
And I'm not sure if I need a tube amp.
#12
It's got nice cleans with the 2 clean channel preamps, and if you scale back the gain on the twang and blues amp models, they sound nice as well (modeled off old fenders and vox's).
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
#13
Quote by Demon_dave
It's got nice cleans with the 2 clean channel preamps, and if you scale back the gain on the twang and blues amp models, they sound nice as well (modeled off old fenders and vox's).


So you suggest I get a Line 6 Valve than a Vox Valvetronix?
#14
Quote by MatrixClaw
I can get you a brand new Spider Valve HD100 head for $450 or the 1x12 combo for $400, from Musicians Friend if you're interested.

The Spider Valves are different than the Spiders, sound a whole lot better IMO. Plus, they offer tons of versatility.



do you work for Musicians Freind or something?
thats a pretty sweet deal man
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
#15
Quote by SynAce
So you suggest I get a Line 6 Valve than a Vox Valvetronix?


yes. Also look at the line 6 flextone.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
#16
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Hands down.

this
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.


Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
#17
Quote by HouseBoy83
do you work for Musicians Freind or something?
thats a pretty sweet deal man

No, I just had them price matched from a big sale that is no longer going on, and the code I have is good for another week
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
#18
A flextone or if you can find one a used Vetta would be another great option.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
#19
Quote by alternitivebass
A flextone or if you can find one a used Vetta would be another great option.


I know Flextone comes in Combo Amp, but does Vetta?
And I'm not sure if I should go with a Head+Cab combination, just cause I need something more compact.
#21
Quote by SynAce
I know Flextone comes in Combo Amp, but does Vetta?
And I'm not sure if I should go with a Head+Cab combination, just cause I need something more compact.

Yes, the Vetta comes in a combo, I own one.

Quote by SynAce
Does it suit my playing?

No, not at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
#22
Quote by MatrixClaw
No, I just had them price matched from a big sale that is no longer going on, and the code I have is good for another week



awsome!
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
#23
Quote by SynAce
Does it suit my playing?


hey man, id take Matrixclaw up on the offer for the Spier valve head or combo for $450 man. i played one at the Guitar Center in Hollywood(the biggest GC..its insane. 3 1/2 floors)and the amp sounds pretty good man. good clean tones..damn good overdrive on the amp for being a tube amp with some digital perks. those things sell for about $800 plus new for the heads
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA