Hi All,

I have a Ibanez JEM 555, with a Zoom G2.1u pedal.

I need an amp that is loud enough to clear a drummer whilst playing heavy metal distortion. If the amp distortion is better than that of the Zoom's, obviously I will just get rid of the Zoom.

After reading these forums I have narrowed it down to a few amps that are available brand new at my local store.

1) VOX AD100VT-XL
2) Peavey Bandit 112
3) Peavey Vypyr75
4) Peavey Valveking 112 (50 watts)

Maximum budget is $450US...which I think in amp terms translates to $900 Australian dollars.

All the amps above are the same price brand new apart from the Bandit which is about 60% of the price of the others.

Which amp do you think I should get?

Is the Bandit anywhere near as good as the other amps, when paired with my Zoom pedal? If so it must be a bargain.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Last edited by sensei888 at Aug 19, 2009,
I'd save up, but the Valveking head, buy a decent cab, and your off.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Thanks for your reply.

1) Budget is USD$450.00 or $900.00 Australian. The Vox costs $USD450.00 in the US and $USD700 in Australia.

2) Genre is Metal as I mentioned

3) Not going used in this circumstance - new amps only. Been watching Ebay Australia for 2 weeks, nothing worth getting on there. Most of it is pickup only from locations I cant reach.

4) Location is Australia.

If the pre-mentioned amps are any good I would appreciate it if we focus on those, as amps such as Crate or B-52 are not available where I live.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
I'd save up, but the Valveking head, buy a decent cab, and your off.

My car is too small to carry a cab, and I cant be botehred carting that around to jam sessions. What do you think of the amps I mentioned?
Quote by sensei888
My car is too small to carry a cab, and I cant be botehred carting that around to jam sessions. What do you think of the amps I mentioned?

Okay, I understand your can't lug that around.

I've played Valvekings before. Very punchy and in your face tone. Nice and heavy, (which is for your style). I'd probably go with a Valveking, if I was in your position. But I'd still save up and possibly buy the 212.

I wouldn't go with the Vox. It is however a nice amp, but it's solid state. And when you have the option to go tube, go with tube.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
In your opinion can the Bandit with my Zoom pedal sound anywhere near as good as the Valveking with or without the Zoom pedal?

I dont want to pay an extra $400 for a 2% increase in sound quality.
Last edited by sensei888 at Aug 19, 2009,
The Vox, Bandit and Vypyr won't work so well with the Zoom me thinks. If you get one of those, then ditch the Zoom. If you go with something like the Valveking, B-52 or Crate tube amps you may want to hold onto the Zoom for now and see if you like how it sounds on said amp.

There is nothing wrong with Valvetronix series. Most solid state Crate amps you will run across will have bad user reviews. Not all of them. I personally liek the Vypyrs. I own a Valveking so I know what it takes to make it shine. Stock the VK is lacking.

If I had to choose between what you've listed I'd go with a B-52 AT tube series. Not the LS series. The Vypyr 60 tube series is worth a look to at $450 US.

PS: I'm not real up on what the better values are down under. Good luck.
I ended up getting the Valveking 212. Extremely happy with the sound at lower volumes. It definately doesnt like the Zoom at higher volumes, it feedbacks terribly. It also doesnt like its own distortion at higher volumes for that matter.

The clean channel at high volumes sounds magic to my ears, its so warm, i've never heard anything like it. I finally know what this 'warmth' thing is that people are talking about in relation to valve amps.

I will look into a speaker change in the future to help with more volume, but im pretty happy with my purchase for now.
Glad you like it. Hit up The Vavleking Thread for more info.

Don't use the 'boost' button.
Get an Overdrive pedal to tighten up the amps distortion.
Try to Zoom up front instead of loop if you have not already.
Imo, the speakers in these amps need to go.