Poll: Would you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you?
Yes, so I can play the music I love every night and be in a band thats famous
34 38%
No, I'd rather not have a band thats famous then not be on stage
56 62%
Voters: 90.
Ok, imagine you're playing in your dream band of what everyou're favorite genre is, be it metal or blues. You're the amazing lead guitarist (and/or singer) and you guys are touring the world, playing shows every night.

Wait, theres a catch: you're not the one on stage. You're backstage, actually playing the guitar while there is someone modeling for you onstage pretending to play. He gets all the fame, while you're the unknown, real star.

The downside is obviously not getting recognition for your work.

However, you're able to play your heart out every night making music you love. And the band already made it/is famous.

TL;DR (even though its not that long..)
So would you be ok with someone pretending to play instead of you, and be happy with being able to actually be a pro musician? Or would you want the fame/credit?

Should make for a good discussion

Poll soon
I would be willing to do this for a while to make some money (better than flipping burgers or most other part time jobs) but I wouldn't do this as my career.
i wouldnt want to be famous anyway andn would love to play the music i love for a living so, yes.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I'd much rather have the credit. I get much more satisfaction from hearing "That was a good song, I really liked X bit..." than from obtaining money.
if it made me enough money to live comfortably and have a fair amount of disposable income i wouldnt really care. it beats 90% of other jobs out there. plus i would still be able to go to the store and not have people come up to me and ask for autographs/pictures ect. that would be the most annoying part about being famous.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by diminishedtobme
I just want to make the dolla.
This. And it would make me feel really good to be famous.

Actually, it probably wouldn't, because I would realize that I'm selling out to a mostly shallow mainstream audience. I picked yes, though. The money would be quite good, and I could fuel my love for getting new equipment. If the guy on stage was making all the money though, then hell no.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
This. And it would make me feel really good to be famous.

Actually, it probably wouldn't, because I would realize that I'm selling out to a mostly shallow mainstream audience. I picked yes, though. The money would be quite good, and I could fuel my love for getting new equipment. If the guy on stage was making all the money though, then hell no.

What i meant was it was an actually good band that people thought the "model" was the amazing lead guitarist, but he's a fake. So, for example, imagine Jimmy Page is a fake and you're the one backstage actually playing, while he's onstage looking good and pretending to play. Would you like to have all the fans adore the model for being a great guitarist when its actually you?
anyone that has played live, in front of a crowd knows there is no feeling better.
other than sex.

so no.
this one is for you.
Quote by One on Sunday
What i meant was it was an actually good band that people thought the "model" was the amazing lead guitarist, but he's a fake. So, for example, imagine Jimmy Page is a fake and you're the one backstage actually playing, while he's onstage looking good and pretending to play. Would you like to have all the fans adore the model for being a great guitarist when its actually you?
Ah, I see. My "yes" definitely still stands though. It would bother me that the guy on stage gets all the credit, but knowing that the band is actually good, making money, and other things would definitely be the decisive factors for me.

Quote by Ebshabutiee
anyone that has played live, in front of a crowd knows there is no feeling better.
other than sex.

so no.
Holy **** that's so true, I didn't even think of that.

I guess I could play in other bands as well?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 19, 2009,
I would set them up to make them look godly with my solos, and then one night, just not play at all, and watch them pull an "Ashlee Simpson", and be the mastermind behind YouTube's biggest FAIL video.

Which would be followed by Guitar World interviews.

I'd want to be the one on stage. I wouldn't be able to handle someone else to taking credit for something I put my heart into
This has to be the stupidist question I have ever seen. Why would I let some fake ass poser take all of the credit for my amayzing skills?
how am i supposed to feed off the energy from the audience when im backstage? thats the second best part of playing music.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Do I still get paid as much as I would if I was actually on stage?

If yes, then yeah I'd probably do it.

At least I'd do it for a while anyway. I might get sick of it eventually.
i would write all the songs below my actual skill level them eventually kill the fake guit5aist and take is place and be wayyy better
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
i would write all the songs below my actual skill level them eventually kill the fake guit5aist and take is place and be wayyy better

cheater
Kinda a weird question.

If you were that good another band would scoop you up in a heart beat i would think.

So i might do it. It wouldn't take long to get in with another band and be on stage.
I would rather play backstage. Creating music is what I love. Who cares if no one knows its me? I'm making good stuff. :]

Oh and maybe I'll "leave" the band and see if the imitator can still handle it. Maybe watch the band burn in flames. Just for teh lulz.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
what kind of ****ed up thread is this?

why would there be the other guy in the first place?

but no just because i would rather mess up the song than see someone elsegetting all the credit for doing nothing but standing on stage
Depends. How much of the money am I making?
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children