So I was at Wal-Mart with my parent's earlier today. They were trying to buy a 12 pack of beer and the cashier said that they needed to see my ID too because they are not allowed to sell alcohol in the presence of teenagers. I am only 17 so they were not allowed to purchase the beer.

Has anybody else experienced this before?
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Last edited by Ironbodom at Aug 19, 2009,
I've heard of similar events, but I believe it's bull they come up with if they think people are buying for minors.
sigh...
No... My uncle purchases hard liquor in my presence all the time and I am just about to turn 19.
Quote by JezuzFingerz
Oh i lol'd quite a lot. Internets to you Normul. Normul you are the funniest man on all the internets. I would gladly make dirty lovin' to Normul all night long. Normul is the reason I breath. Normul
Last edited by Normul at Aug 19, 2009,
That is stupid.

But at least the government isn't the one mandating it; it's a private company so they can do as they please.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by enceps
I've heard of similar events, but I believe it's bull they come up with if they think people are buying for minors.

Even so, they should see that these people are indeed my parents after checking the ID's.

Quote by RobinTrower12
Couldn't you have just walked outside while they bought it then?

The cashier said no.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
That happened to me, but it was some Indian at 7-11. I tried to buy a blunt, and since my temporary ID wasn't good enough, even though it said I was 18, I told my friend to buy it, and the indian said, "No, I can't sell it to him then."

WTF. Bastards...
Yeah that happened to me once. It was my cousin's 21st birthday and he tried to buy some cases, but I didn't have a legit I.D. so we were denied.

So we got a keg instead.
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Yeah I got screwed over after one of my 17-y.o. mates walked in with me to pick out a few drinks, even though I was over 18 and had ID.

(in australia, 18's the legal age)
If you were in Australia the 17 year old could get away with buying booze. Over here you only need to be 18 to purchase booze.
Quote by mego63
If you were in Australia the 17 year old could get away with buying booze. Over here you only need to be 18 to purchase booze.

I wish...

This whole thing just seems so ridiculous to me because I have been in Germany for the past month where the drinking age is 16 and beer is not even considered alcohol.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Actually this happened when I was in Florida a few years ago. I was there with my girlfriend, and her dad and brother. My girlfriend and I were buying some things on our own so we paid and went out before her dad and brother. Her dad was buying beer but they wouldn't sell it to him since his son was only 20.

He just bought everything else and then went back in alone and they sold it to him. The same person even sold it to him.

Moronic if you ask me but whatever. I guess with the laws as strict as they are they can't take any chances.
similar. i was with some friends who where wanting a certain type of liquor and me and this girl just had to use the rest room. after we finished we went back outside to the car but said something to him (like "hurry up").

i dont know how their conversation went but we were called in to check our ids as well or he wouldn't be allowed to purchase the stuff. we were all legal...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
That is stupid.

But at least the government isn't the one mandating it; it's a private company so they can do as they please.

It really isn't. I work at a supermarket and I know people who have done this on the basis that they're looking after their own asses thanks to random police checks and surveys on us which do happen.

And then there are those who are just plain ridiculous...
Quote by daytripper75
Actually this happened when I was in Florida a few years ago. I was there with my girlfriend, and her dad and brother. My girlfriend and I were buying some things on our own so we paid and went out before her dad and brother. Her dad was buying beer but they wouldn't sell it to him since his son was only 20.

He just bought everything else and then went back in alone and they sold it to him. The same person even sold it to him.

Moronic if you ask me but whatever. I guess with the laws as strict as they are they can't take any chances.

This. I work at a grocery store and we have to check EVERYONE'S ID, even if the customer is clearly over the legal age (even an old person) we still have to check their ID simply because it's the law and if we don't follow it the entire company could lose it's liquor license.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
SWIM's parents bought him 2 24 packs of yuengling while he and his friends waited on line with them.
They don't sleep anymore on the beach..
Quote by Ironbodom
Even so, they should see that these people are indeed my parents after checking the ID's.

The cashier said no.

seen several instances like this, you leave they wait a minute and go to a differnt cacshier, problem solved!
Quote by enceps
Na, it's a law.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Craigo
It really isn't. I work at a supermarket and I know people who have done this on the basis that they're looking after their own asses thanks to random police checks and surveys on us which do happen.

And then there are those who are just plain ridiculous...

This is the reason basically.

I used to work at a grocery store, and while Pennsylvania is stupid and only allows beer and liquor to be sold at special stores we still had to deal with cigarette sales. We would ID a lot of people for cigarette purchases because the cops would send in underage people to see if we would sell to them. If we did the cop would come in and fine us. By us I mean the person that actually made the sale, and the store itself. If it happened more than 2 or 3 times the store could lose its license to sell tobacco products. I assume there are similar laws for alcohol sales.

So the store is only doing it because they need to cover their own ass. Losing their alcohol license would be a huge blow to revenue.
I can honestly say this has never happened to me, I am 17 (from OZ) and go in with my mates to buy alcohol all the time.. I also manage to get into pubs with them and buy my own drinks in there.. Perhaps it has something to do with this wookie hanging from my chin..
Ha. When my dad was a kid he'd go down to the corner store alone to pick up milk for his mom and cigarettes for his dad and they'd sell to him because everyone in the town pretty much knew each other. Yay mega stores
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by daytripper75
This is the reason basically.

I used to work at a grocery store, and while Pennsylvania is stupid and only allows beer and liquor to be sold at special stores we still had to deal with cigarette sales. We would ID a lot of people for cigarette purchases because the cops would send in underage people to see if we would sell to them. If we did the cop would come in and fine us. By us I mean the person that actually made the sale, and the store itself. If it happened more than 2 or 3 times the store could lose its license to sell tobacco products. I assume there are similar laws for alcohol sales.

So the store is only doing it because they need to cover their own ass. Losing their alcohol license would be a huge blow to revenue.

Pretty much that, although the cashier can also be viable for fine/prosecution/criminal record alongside the manager of the store.
That never happened to me, actually quite the opposite. I went into the liquor store with my parents, picked out what I wanted, like 20 feet away from the store manager, and they bought it no problem. In case you were wondering, it was Cpatina Morgan.
Arcane Echo

Just call me Ethan
Quote by Craigo
Pretty much that, although the cashier can also be viable for fine/prosecution/criminal record alongside the manager of the store.

Yeah one guy I worked with got caught selling tobacco to a minor once, and he had to go to court along with my manager.

Luckily for him he didn't get fired. I think he was fined something like $500 for it though.

I would imagine the penalty for alcohol would be even worse than tobacco.
This happened only a few weeks ago.

Me and two friends decided to get drunk as hell one Friday night, and we drove down to the bottle shop to get our drinks. We walk in and the lady at the counter asks us all to come over to the counter. I honestly didn't hear her, and turned around to see where everyone had gone. Turns out everyone had to be ID'd.

I had my ID, so did the other friend, but the one who drove us forgot his wallet. So now they weren't going to serve us until they had proof that all of us were 18+. So we had to wait about 20 minutes while our friend drives back to his place, only to find he left his wallet at my other friend's place. Anyway he's a reckless driver and I was worried that he'd been done by the cops for driving without a license (because his license is in his wallet, and he's a P-Plater, which is essentially a cop-magnet).

So he turns up, we get our booze, and proceed to have one of the most boring nights of our life.
around here parents are aloud to bring there kids into liqiour stores...
Quote by iantheman
I laughed at someone for breaking his g-string, and got sigged

Quote by Veil Of Osiris

You just made me spit out my Kool-Aid all over my keyboard.

sorry
it happens all the time when i go to grocery stores with my housemates. we go up to the checkout with separate carts, but since we're talking to each other they check both our IDs. there is a beer distributor near me that only checks the person buying. ive gone in with someone that was 20 and bought 6 30 racks and they only ID'd me because i was paying.

when i had just turned 18, i went into a gas station to buy cigs. i was standing at the counter paying, and a guy i knew walked in. i saw him, said 'hey whats up' and turned back to the cashier. she made the the kid that walked in show his ID aswell.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I believe I was like 4 and in the middle of Philly at a family thing, and my dad was going to get liquor and what not, so for whatever reason he brought me with him. They made me, a four year old.. as if I'm going to become a raging alcoholic after entering a liquor store, wait outside.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
i got a good one. I stupid cashier, at wal-mart also, wouldn't sell beer to me three days after my 21st birthday because she didn't know what the date was, and didn't believe me
"Your just a monkey in a monkey suit, aww yeah!"-Piebald "Long Nights"
I work at a liquor store and we're not allowed to sell to people we suspect might be providing to minors, so if a possible minor (someone without ID even because we don't know your age and have to assume you are under if asked) has even touched the alcoholic beverage we cannot serve the entire group unfortunately. However if you are with legal guardians like your parents they technically cannot refuse your service unless you are being unruly.

Just a tip to all of you who are reading this never bring your friends into a liquor store if they could pass for someone even a few years older than the legal age (it's legal to purchase alcohol here at 18 but we ID anyone appearing to be 25 or under) if they do not have ID. Once a clerk has asked for ID they cannot go back on that and must refuse service if all people in the group do not present ID (If we do sell to a possible underage person and are caught we are subject to a $1500 fine and most likely loss of our job so you can understand better now).

That should pretty well cover it haha
Quote by Tire Me.
Dumbledore wasn't the only headmaster that night.

Quote by CTFOD

I can impersonate Emperor Palpatine, Bob Dylan and the Joker. Simultaneously.

Quote by Kumanji
Why sho blowin' in the wind, Jedi?
I have a good related story....

Me and my friend go into a store in Vermont. A Shaw's to be specific. He bring a case of beer up to the counter.He pays for it. Forgot he need some cigarettes, so he took his beer off the counter and asks for some cigarettes. The clerk refuses to sell him any because my friend doesn't have his license and he needs to card anyone who looks under 30, despite the fact that seconds eariler he had sold him beer.

I guess the stores have a right to be parnoid, but sometimes a little common sense needs to prevail.
Quote by Justified Death
That happened to me, but it was some Indian at 7-11. I tried to buy a blunt, and since my temporary ID wasn't good enough, even though it said I was 18, I told my friend to buy it, and the indian said, "No, I can't sell it to him then."

WTF. Bastards...

interesting..
The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick
My neighborhood convenience store sells pretty much everything to anyone who looks even close to 18.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by wesleyisgay
around here parents are aloud to bring there kids into liqiour stores...

Ya they are, but if the cashier has reason to believe that you MAY be booting for the kid, then they can deny you booze. It's their discretion. This law makes perfect sense to me. Stops people from booting booze for minors. Well, not really, as the kid could just wait outside, but I guess it helps.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Hanson are musical legends.

You watch your god damn mouth when talking about them.

Quote by TheQuailman

I mean, look at me. Can't even get an erection unless I strangle a goat.

It's Time To Be Immortal Cause Heros Never Die!
Quote by Metallicam
Ya they are, but if the cashier has reason to believe that you MAY be booting for the kid, then they can deny you booze. It's their discretion. This law makes perfect sense to me. Stops people from booting booze for minors. Well, not really, as the kid could just wait outside, but I guess it helps.

Only the smarter ones will figure that out though. Atleast you keep the dumbasses away from it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I went to the liquor store once and had a friend with me who was 20 at the time. Needless to say they refused to sell me liquor because he wasnt of age but the manager said they would if he waited outside. So Im buying the liquor in front of the manager and all along my friend is giving me the thumbs up with a big grin through the front window. This same friend once went into a 7-11 to buy a lighter while I waited in the car, and they wouldnt sell it to him because he didnt have an ID. When I went in to buy it they wouldnt sell it to me because they saw we were together.
Yet another friend tried to buy beer, had his ID and was of legal age, but for whatever reason the cashier didnt believe him, told him his ID was fake and threw it in the trash. My friend was enraged and was about to throw a garbage can through the glass on the front doors but found it was heavier than he thought, so he just kicked it over and took his business elsewhere.
Actually, Wal-Mart did this to my friend too. He was just trying to buy a pack of Marlboros, and they wouldn't sell it to him because I didn't have a valid form of ID on me. I was 18 too. He was pissed.