1st post woooo!

Hi guys, for a while now i've been sick of playing with my Spider III, and I decided that I need a new amp. I'm looking for an amp that's pretty versatile. I wanna be able to get tones all the way from classic to modern rock, and stuff like early-80s metal to thrash metal to T3H BR00T4LZ. My budget is about $500, but i'm willing to stretch it a bit more if I have to, and yes i'm willing to go used. My main purposes for the amp are practicing at home (possibly be able to do some band practices too) and MAYBE a few school shows, even though we have our own amps at the school. I live in New York City (Brooklyn) for all of you craigslist trolls .

Now, here's my problem; I live in an apartment with my family , so i'm not sure if i can get a tube amp to work very nicely here.

My main considerations are:

Blackstar HT-5 Ministack: Very good reviews from what i hear, I heard a few demos and such and the tone this thing produces is awesome! I know it's a tube amp but it's only 5 watts and if it's still too loud i can always use the headphones output on it. Chances are i'll buy an OD with it to boost it into BR00T4LZ territory. Problem is that I never got a chance to play one, but i'm pretty sure that my local Guitarcenters have some. If it's not loud enough for my school shows I can probably ask to have my amp mic'd to our PA.

Peavey Vypyr 75: I've played this amp before and honestly it was great! It sounded leagues better than my Spider and it's a solid state so it'll still be good at low volumes. Plus I'll buy the Sanpera II footswitch as well if i get it and i'll have total access to everything.

I'm open to any other amp suggestions as well.
cool story bro

but in all seriousness. dont get another SS.
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Last edited by Shpunt at Aug 19, 2009,
check out some flextones as well
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The Pit is ---> bro.

Anyways, I would vouch for the Line 6 flextone.

He's my RL friend, posted that as a joke to spite me.

I've played a Flextone before. My local Sam Ash had one (not sure if they still have it, need to check). I wasn't able to get a really great metal sound of it, but then again i didnt really have much time to play it and it was a busy day in the store. If anything i'll check out some demos online and see if they still have the amp in the store.
spend some time with it. Its a better modeler than the vyper.

also At 500usd, you might be lucky enough, key word might be, lucky enough to find a used vetta. In case some is desperate for crack money just keep checking CL for one
I'd call Vettas out of the question at 500, but thts just my CL experience
Vypers & flextones sound about right for you though
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
I'd call Vettas out of the question at 500, but thts just my CL experience
Vypers & flextones sound about right for you though

Hence my maybe. But no loss comes from just scouring CL's
I've found 2 Vettas for under $500 in last few weeks, so it's definitley possible.
If you could find a Vetta, jump on it like a homeless man on a cheap hooker. If not, go for the Blackstar. Great little amp.
If you want a rough overview on how the blackstar can sound, i have a rough clip 8-9 min clip of it in my profile covering a wide variety of tones.
See if you can locate an Orange dealer nearby and check out their Tiny Terror model. It's pretty basic as far as features go: tone, volume, and gain is all the control you have over the amp. However, it gives you a VERY good tone, and isn't too pricey. As an added bonus, you can select between running at 15 or 7 watts, so you can turn it to 7 for studio recording or practicing, and then switch it to 15 when you want to play a gig.

A brand new Tiny Terror Head and a 1x12 Orange Cabinet will run you about $750 new. Orange has also released the Tiny Terror as a combo, which you can get for around $725 -$850. Grab a nice distortion/overdrive effects box and you should be set to play just about anything.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Xeron Brigs
See if you can locate an Orange dealer nearby and check out their Tiny Terror model. It's pretty basic as far as features go: tone, volume, and gain is all the control you have over the amp. However, it gives you a VERY good tone, and isn't too pricey. As an added bonus, you can select between running at 15 or 7 watts, so you can turn it to 7 for studio recording or practicing, and then switch it to 15 when you want to play a gig.

A brand new Tiny Terror Head and a 1x12 Orange Cabinet will run you about $750 new. Orange has also released the Tiny Terror as a combo, which you can get for around $725 -$850. Grab a nice distortion/overdrive effects box and you should be set to play just about anything.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/1320548113.html

it's in his area. he could probably talk down to $350 and get an avatar cab. that'd be right around $500.
Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I still didn't make my decision yet, but I wonder what are everyone's thoughts on the Blackstar anyways? Right now for me it seems like it's a tie between the Flextone and the Blackstar.

I'm trying to possibly find a Vetta too .
Last edited by DGor at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by DGor
Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I still didn't make my decision yet, but I wonder what are everyone's thoughts on the Blackstar anyways? Right now for me it seems like it's a tie between the Flextone and the Blackstar.

I'm trying to possibly find a Vetta too .

Uh i'd go with the Flextone
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects