I have decided to get either a Peavey Valveking100 or a Marshall DSL100 amp head. I am probably going to go with the Peavey because of the price, but anyway. I was reading some of the reviews for the Valveking on Guitarcenters website, and people were saying that "it sounds just like a mesa!" and "it blows the mesa out of the water."

I would like to know if this is true. Because i didn't think it sounded like, and/or better than a Mesa. But maybe I'm just tone deaf, or maybe they are. Can anyone clear this up? I was gonna buy this amp, and now I am confused as to how it really sounds.

And yes, I have played the amp before.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
lol ok. Thats what i thought. I was like "how can a $500 head sound like a $2000 head...??"
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
No, they don't sound like Mesa Boogies. Mesa Boogies sound like Mesa Boogies. You are 100% ok.

What happens, is when people buy their first amp with 'valve' in the name, they instantly get stars in their ears and no matter how it sounds, to them, it is the greatest thing ever.

They're a good amp, not a great amp. Just good. For the price point, they are fine though. But follow your ears. Whatever your ears like, go for it.
Yeah don't listen to the reviews on websites you buy stuff from. They are either people who have absolutely NO CLUE what they're talking about or it's the company themselves trying to promote the items and persuade you.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
Yeah don't listen to the reviews on websites you buy stuff from. They are either people who have absolutely NO CLUE what they're talking about or it's the company themselves trying to promote the items and persuade you.

That is a VERY good point. I never thought about that before.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
I find it entertaining sometimes to read the reviews on GC or HC for the Spider III or Marshall MG. Some choice quotes:

"people have been bad mouthing this amp but thats because theyre playing teh wrong style of music, probably modern metal genres, this amp isnt made for that so those people are dumb, this amp really grabs the vintage marshall tone and distortion, very well for 10watts, i play 80's metal usualy and i use a strat, a bc rich warlock revenge, and a zakk wylde les paul, obviously the gain isnt miraculous but u can get some squeals if u try, tthe distortion if thick and textured too, the clean was a bit boring but its ok really, but the tone nob can really help adjust the sound u want. "- Marshall MG-10

"I am currently using a Fat strat for most of my low gain work and an Ibanez RG 1570 For the faster heavier stuff. It sounds brilliant. Two of my favorite high gain setting are master of puppets and crazy train. Really are capible of good tight, solid rhythms and some really intense shredding with the characteristic harmonics thrown in for good measure."- Spider III

"i have a vintage les paul and the clean channel is great with a nice punch to it.but ive got to say if you like claassic 60s/70s distortion, this isnt the amp for you.i like quite hard rock(led zep, jimi hendrix, rolling stones, kinks, neil young) but i cant put the distortion above 2 because it is just so distorted its unbearible for me.the distortion real;ly lets this amp down.IF YOU LIKE METAL THIS COULD BE FOR YOU." - Marshall MG Micro-Stack

Quote by Knightmare444
That is a VERY good point. I never thought about that before.

+1 on this one in response to JT44's quote (this forum doesn't double quote, shame )

I have yet to find super useful reviews on ANY sales website. I find the honest reviews are Joe Blow on Youtube w/review or someone on the forums. Yes some people don't know what they're talking about, but I find with the youtube ones I can make my own decisions as most of the time the item (amp/guitar/pedal) is physically in the video being used, and there are normally several up there.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by BeethovensBust
I find it entertaining sometimes to read the reviews on GC or HC for the Spider III or Marshall MG. Some choice quotes:

"people have been bad mouthing this amp but thats because theyre playing teh wrong style of music, probably modern metal genres, this amp isnt made for that so those people are dumb, this amp really grabs the vintage marshall tone and distortion, very well for 10watts, i play 80's metal usualy and i use a strat, a bc rich warlock revenge, and a zakk wylde les paul, obviously the gain isnt miraculous but u can get some squeals if u try, tthe distortion if thick and textured too, the clean was a bit boring but its ok really, but the tone nob can really help adjust the sound u want. "- Marshall MG-10

If you can afford all of those, why did you buy an MG..... lol
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
If you can afford all of those, why did you buy an MG..... lol

Exactly. Like the guy who owns a vintage Les Paul, then pairs it with an MG microstack. That is like taking the finest red wine you could find, then pairing it with Taco Bell.
Quote by BeethovensBust
"i have a vintage les paul and the clean channel is great with a nice punch to it.but ive got to say if you like claassic 60s/70s distortion, this isnt the amp for you.i like quite hard rock(led zep, jimi hendrix, rolling stones, kinks, neil young) but i cant put the distortion above 2 because it is just so distorted its unbearible for me.the distortion real;ly lets this amp down.IF YOU LIKE METAL THIS COULD BE FOR YOU." - Marshall MG Micro-Stack

Is 2007 his idea of vintage?

If you have a vintage Les Paul, you'd puke at the tone of the MG.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by BeethovensBust
That is like taking the finest red wine you could find, then pairing it with Taco Bell.

Taco Bell is good all the time with everything.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
Taco Bell is good all the time with everything.

Replace Taco Bell with the sub-par fast food restaurant of your choosing, then.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Replace Taco Bell with the sub-par fast food restaurant of your choosing, then.

I'm not much a fan of red wine though....

OT: The Valveking is not going to sound like a Mesa.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by BeethovensBust

"people have been bad mouthing this amp but thats because theyre playing teh wrong style of music, probably modern metal genres, this amp isnt made for that so those people are dumb"

Because anyone playing a genre other than "what an amp is made for" and then saying that the amp sounds terrible for that genre is dumb.

"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
id get the dsl... but thats just me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would prefer the DSL. But when you compare $500 to $700, and I still need to buy a cab...
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
I don't know why people even bother reading user reviews on places like GC or on HC.

They're always biased and 90% of the time, generally inaccurate. Asking on a forum is better but still does not compare to just playing one in person. There are few forum members here and a few on some other internet forums whose opinion I would really take to heart on matters such as whether an amp is good or not, but outside of that, I find that reviews are generally worthless.

And this thread is perfect demonstration of that. A Valveking sounds nothing like any Mesa I've ever played.
Quote by Knightmare444
I would prefer the DSL. But when you compare $500 to $700, and I still need to buy a cab...

so save a little more.
I really cant. I need to pay for school and a car. That is already pushing my budget to the limit.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444

I always go with the idea of "forget the price, buy what you truely like". If you settle for something because of price you'll just be selling it here in a few months to fund another amp purchase.

My suggestion: go to every store in your area and try every amp that you can. Who knows you may find something completely different than the dsl or VK that you like. I was crazy about the mesa roadster until I cranked a marshall 2203kk. Walked out with the marshall. cheers
thats pretty much what I did. I have played the DSL, the TSL, the JCM800, the Modern Vintage. I played the Vypyr, the Classic 30, the Windsor, the Valveking, the Orange Rocker, and like 10 others. I liked the Valveking. It wasn't my first choice, but it was my first choice in my price range.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
I rofl'd so hard at those reviews. I love being out of the FotB.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Dude.

Budget?
Genres?
Home or Gig?
New or Used?
Closest City?
Current Gear?
Combo or Stack?

trust me....i'm a VK'r

No more than like 500 for a head
Hard rock/rock/classic rock/occassional metal
Both
Doesn't Matter
I live in Buffalo
Check my sig
Preferably a Stack
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
A VK is an OK amp but it sounds NOTHING like a Dual Rectifier! If you have $500 just save up for a 50 watt Single Rec. It's not all that much more and you'll end up....... happy.

EDIT: a used single rec.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 20, 2009,
I would be all over this stuff......

(no particular order either, these were most recent on down). I searched on 'amp'

Valveking 112 $200 - gives you $300 for upgrades
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1326408917.html

Peavey XXL combo $390
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1325956110.html

Ampeg Jet J12 combo $300
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1324321570.html

Peavey Classic 30 $360 (can't go wrong)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1323269615.html

Marshall DSL 401 combo $650 (talk down)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1316446898.html

Mesa F50 head $750 (motivation)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1314678241.html

Line 6 Flextone II $200 (do this)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1311130666.html

Blackstar HT5 and cab for $400
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1309403548.html

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL combo $500
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1305057021.html

Line 6 Flextone III plus cab? $450
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1303416720.html

Sovtek MIG 50 $400 (needs cab) (check it)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1295073697.html

instead i mean

(VK will work if you are into modding amps. New speaker, possibly new tubes. Pedals and tricks etc.)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 20, 2009,
Well the tubes aren't toooooo expensive, and Im sure the speaker would be decent until i could change it. What tubes would you recommend? I know literally nothing about tubes other than KT77 are good power tubes. ... i think
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
KT77 won't fit in the VK without major mods. There are other things you can do if you are set on a VK.

First thing is to visit the VK thread. Both the First page and the Last page. There are some smart dudes in there that can help you. I'm sure it is on the first or second page of GGnA.

Otherwise, my suggestion is:

used VK 112.
Speaker: Vintage 30, Veteran 30, Texas heat, or Man O War, etc: $80 - $125
OD Pedal: Dano or Bad Monkey or Tube Screamer or Maxon etc: $30 - $120
EQ Pedal: Dano or MXR or Boss: $30 - $120
Tubes: Power go with JJs or Sovteks and Preamp go with Tung Sol, Penta, Sovtek, JANs, whatever for around : $70 - $100 total. Preamp tubes are like $12 bucks so start there before you go crazy.
Reverb tank: Accutronics or Fenders are roughly $20 - $40
Transformer mod: $100
Circuitry mods: $10 if you do it yourself. $40 - $300 if you pay someone else.

Again, ask the guys in the VK thread. I'm not an expert on this stuff lol.
PS: They don't sound like Mesas. They have a Marshall tone stack and are tweaked to Peavey spec for a low budget catch all basic tube amp.

here is the VK thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296

Don't read reviews. Listen to clips. If you want to mod - then dive in.
How hard would modding be? Just some simple soldering and stuff? If so I would be very happy, because i am quite good at that.

And i already the Hardwire Tube OD Pedal. would that work?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Most of the mods are extremely simple. Tubes are easy to swap, no biasing required. Speaker is extremely easy to swap. Same with the reverb tank. A dummy jack is $2.00 at best. Putting in a new Transformer and doing some of the resistor mods will require soldering. It can be fun. As long as you are not looking for high gain modern metal it's a great amp imo.

That OD pedal should work really well.

Edit: I stand corrected. Thanks Jason!
Quote by Knightmare444
How hard would modding be? Just some simple soldering and stuff? If so I would be very happy, because i am quite good at that.

And i already the Hardwire Tube OD Pedal. would that work?

Provided you know basic electronics and safety when working on it, it should be pretty easy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs