Hi

I have been playing for almost 4 years now... still have not started playing modes basically due to lack of time...anyways i would like to start Mode playing now... i know the names i know how to derive them... which notes and all..

But is there any specific way that i should proceed with them??? or should i say just pick C scales and play C Ionian C Dorian and so on...

ie learn all their positions first and then try and mix things???
Well, let me ask you a question first....

Do you:

• Want to make your own progression to use a certain mode with, or....
  • Want to play a specific mode over an existing progression?

You see, if you take option 1, you can create a progression that really stresses a certain mode--and it will really enhance the effect the mode has. Option 2 would possibly limit you, and the modes might just resolve to their respective Major or minor equivalent. You could alter an existing progression to make it suggest a certain mode. Or.. you could take a parallel approach, which means you'd play a different mode over each chord in the sequence.

The end of this article might help: http://synesthesiac.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/the-seven-musical-modes/
The table will tell you which chords you can use for certain modes, and vice versa.

Let me know how you're interested in approaching this, and I could give you some insight.
Start by learning the major scale inside out.

Modes are nothing special and they're not the secret to being an amazing guitarist despite the common misconceptions about them. There's no point learning "positions" because they're all exactly the same as the major scale, instead concetrating on understanding when modes can be applied - a lot of the time they can't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Start by learning the major scale inside out.

Modes are nothing special and they're not the secret to being an amazing guitarist despite the common misconceptions about them. There's no point learning "positions" because they're all exactly the same as the major scale, instead concetrating on understanding when modes can be applied - a lot of the time they can't.
Listen to the seagull
Chords determine the modes. Nothing special like seagull said.

For example, you play a V7 chord and the Mixolidian mode fits in because of the flat 7.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+