Alright, first off let me say that yes, i am upgrading my amp. i will maybe getting a vox vt50 or vt30, i am not sure yet. Okay, so i have an 1958 epiphone ebony explorer with gold hardware. It still has stock pickups in it and everything, just like when it was made. So first, i am going to upgrade the pickups. iwas thinking about doing a seymour duncan alnico in both the bridge and neck. And along with those (maybe a different pickup, tell me what you think i should put in!!) i will be putting on new gold pickup covers, and tuneing pegs as well. and next, i was thinking about putting a floyd rose into the bridge of the guitar. its currently still the same as it was when made. So i dont know much about installing anything, so what precautions should i take in installing all these. like what are some things that could potentially change the sounds of my guitar. And also what would a new floyd rose bridge run, and do they come in gold. THANKS!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
its a 58 epi explorer? i wouldnt upgrade it, id sell it. not because its bad, but because its probably worth something.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
its a 58 epi explorer? i wouldnt upgrade it, id sell it. not because its bad, but because its probably worth something.

nono its a 1958 reissue. it was made in 2003 sorry lol sorry about the confusion.
And its two weeks old i just bought it lol
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Aug 20, 2009,
Ok here goes - I'll try and help you out!

Pickups (Ill give you a rundown on SD)

Neck:
*SD Jazz - Highly reccomend...sounds great in most guitars
*SD Alnico II pro - Don't know much about - Slash uses them?? But don't buy it just because he uses them!
*SD 59 - Sounds really good - especially in mahogany guitars? I think its a little less gain then a jazz!

Bridge:
*SD JB - Very versatile...Blues - Metal...Highly reccomend!
*SD Distortion - Higher gain then the JB...probs better if you're a metal fan
*SD Alnico - Lower gain then the above? Good for blues/classicrock

This is by no means comprahensive...just some advice based on my experiences!
Definately check out dimarzio's as well - I don't know a lot about them but they are dam good.

Floyd:

They are really hard to install. You would have extreme difficulty installing if you haven't done it before!! Your guitar would probably need to be routed to fit it. And IMO they are only really useful for performing...they are such a pain in the arse to tune that unless you really love tremolos then give it a miss. You could have it installed by your guitar store but all in all it will cost you a ****load.

If you don't like your guitar and you want better pups/floyd then look for a new guitar. It will work out cheaper overall as those upgrades will cost a lot,
Look for Jackson...ESP...Schecter etc.

If you don't like your tone then you should be looking for a new amp! (Although I do think vox's modellers are dam good). Blackstar HT-5's are great all round budget tube amps - highly reccomended around these parts! I'm planning on buying one!

Good luck man!
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
If your after a floyd for your axe, you might as well sell your epi and get a LTD EX-401DX i think :/
But you'll be better off with a tube if you get the LTD since it has EMGs.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by hendrixftw
Ok here goes - I'll try and help you out!

Pickups (Ill give you a rundown on SD)

Neck:
*SD Jazz - Highly reccomend...sounds great in most guitars
*SD Alnico II pro - Don't know much about - Slash uses them?? But don't buy it just because he uses them!
*SD 59 - Sounds really good - especially in mahogany guitars? I think its a little less gain then a jazz!

Bridge:
*SD JB - Very versatile...Blues - Metal...Highly reccomend!
*SD Distortion - Higher gain then the JB...probs better if you're a metal fan
*SD Alnico - Lower gain then the above? Good for blues/classicrock

This is by no means comprahensive...just some advice based on my experiences!
Definately check out dimarzio's as well - I don't know a lot about them but they are dam good.

Floyd:

They are really hard to install. You would have extreme difficulty installing if you haven't done it before!! Your guitar would probably need to be routed to fit it. And IMO they are only really useful for performing...they are such a pain in the arse to tune that unless you really love tremolos then give it a miss. You could have it installed by your guitar store but all in all it will cost you a ****load.

If you don't like your guitar and you want better pups/floyd then look for a new guitar. It will work out cheaper overall as those upgrades will cost a lot,
Look for Jackson...ESP...Schecter etc.

If you don't like your tone then you should be looking for a new amp! (Although I do think vox's modellers are dam good). Blackstar HT-5's are great all round budget tube amps - highly reccomended around these parts! I'm planning on buying one!

Good luck man!

WOW. thankyou very much. yes i probly wont get a floyd on it seeing how it will cost truck loads of money. the pickup info definatly did help, i will be doing research on all of those. i also see you have the vt50. what do you think of it? my friend has one but is a bit too far away to try it out but he really likes it as well.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I would also look into putting some new tuning machines- a very underrated upgrade. I personally like Spertzal's Speed Loaders- good strong tuning machines with no winding!
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I would get a new nut too, I can't recommend anything because I don't have much experience with them. Also get new jack, switches, and pots.