So I've got a Valveking 112. It's got a muddy sound that I don't like too much, since I usually like a brighter sound like The Strokes, Bloc Party, and a bright gritty sound like Paul Gilbert.

Then I thought maybe a pickup replacement in my RG would be better. It's got stock INF1 and INF2 pickups. The bridge pickup sounds really tinny, which sounds ****ty when I have to boost the treble on the amp to make up for the lack of brightness. The bridge sounds pretty muddy which doesn't help when the amp is already kind of muddy. I barely even get to use it.

I was really looking to get some of that Paul Gilbert tone that cleans up nicely and sounds amazing when it gets gritty. That made me look at DiMarzios which I'm set on, but don't know which ones.

So, do you think I should upgrade the speaker or the pickups? Have any product recommendations? Thanks!
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I went through the VK thread at the speaker thing. I definitely don't want a Man o War because I don't want it to be any louder. Any recommendations for Paul Gilbert like tone that cleans up nicely with low gain?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I think Paul Gilbert runs his pickups in parallel rather than series. I know he did on the old Racer X albums but I'm not sure about now. That has a huge effect on the tone. And if you want PG tone, you should save up a bit, sell the VK and get a Laney combo or used VM combo.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs