Upgraded Guitar Day! 2003 Gibson Flying V with Ebony fretboard/Moon Inlay

(To see the interesting story behind the aquisition of the guitar, check out the original thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048616 )

Right, ever since I aquired the guitar I've wanted to swap out a few things about it. I'm still not done but this will hold me over for awhile. I first 'opened up' the guitar about a month ago because of a mystery grounding issue, which turned out to be the capacitor on the tone pot touching the pot itself where it shouldn't have been. While I had the guitar apart I just so happened to sell my '84 Camaro project car for a good sum of cash and had some left over. Guitar store, here I come!

Purchased a Seymour Duncan '59 for the neck position from Guitar Center. They were sold out of Black coils so I got a Zebra (looks good actually). Along with the new pickup I got pickup covers and Dunlop Straploks. Then from WDMusic I purchased the sick looking black pickguard. Why Gibson doesn't put black guards on Flying V's is beyond me, they look so damn good with them.

The pickup covers didn't fit at all (don't buy them, complete waste of cash) and the Straplok's didn't fit. The original Gibson screws holding the strap buttons in were massive compared to the Dunlop screws, they would literally fall into the hole. In order to make them fit I would have to fill the hole, redrill then install. I never had problems with the Flying V coming off the strap so I returned them along with the Pickup Covers. Enough with the talk, let's see some pictures!

The guitar before I started. I installed the Zebra coil pickup already in this pic. Notice the random record player and the McDonalds table display...

Family shot with the Kimaxe haha

The pickguard still in the wrapper. I had to cut the foil from the control holes and bridge holes.

Mockup picture of the new guard. Tip: Ice Breaker tins make great screw holders

Guts exposed. My oldschool Marshall head in the background.

Guard installed, still missing bridge/tailpiece. That's a Gibson archtop in the background that needs work, future project

Shame the Straplok's and the pickup covers wouldn't fit

Everything put back together! Looks sexy!
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Looks great, might look better without the pick guard if it weren't for the brighter colour there...
Your "Old School Marshall" looks to be an MG..
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
It would be cool if I could mount a clear guard on it, but they're overpriced. Plus I thought the black would look bomb, which it does . My buddy said it reminded him of an SG, with the black/red deal.

One thing that does bug me though, the selector knob is white. I never thought about it until I was playing it a little bit ago haha, I'll have to pick up a black one at Guitar Center

EDIT: Since when were MG's built with tubes? It doesn't have any markings or numbers to dignify a specific model but it sounds good. Sold it for $600 a few years back and bought it back just a few weeks ago for $500
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 20, 2009,
that looks amazing! i love woodgrain guitars with black pickguards. mostly SG's, but that V looks like a million dollars. you need a black truss rod cover though!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Your "Old School Marshall" looks to be an MG..

If it's old school and it looks like that, it'd be a first or second gen valvestate, nice little amps, I'm liking the crunch channel on the 8100 I use when my JCM 900 is broken.

Also that guitar looks really 90's for some reason.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
that looks amazing! i love woodgrain guitars with black pickguards. mostly SG's, but that V looks like a million dollars. you need a black truss rod cover though!

Haha yea, there's a guy on Ebay that sells black truss rod covers for Gibson V's. He wants too much for them, $18. I can live with the white cover for now lol
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Cool guitar! You have the good one with the moon inlays.

(I absolutely freakin' despise those strings you're using. I have an entire box of them rotting in my studio. The are the deadest dulling most horrific pieces of crap I have ever used.)
Looks good, might look even better with gold hardware

*No advertising in signature*
Quote by BobDetroit
Cool guitar! You have the good one with the moon inlays.

(I absolutely freakin' despise those strings you're using. I have an entire box of them rotting in my studio. The are the deadest dulling most horrific pieces of crap I have ever used.)

Lol really? I've been using nothing but DR's now for almost 2 years, I love 'em. I never got into the coated string thingy and it seems that DR's keep their sound longer than any other brand, I'll use a set of strings about 4 months before I change them
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

You could drill the hole bigger in the straplocks, thats what a luither did to my Schaller Straplocks for my Gibson.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Is it me, or does that V look much better without the pickguard?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Personally, I think it would look even better than it already does with those pickup covers. Have you got the spacing right on them?

Anyways, congrats dude, it's really good.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Cool I like the inlays.
Never seen those before.

Looks old school style.
HUGD!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by herman ri2
The V with the black pick guard looks ugly. It looks better with the white.

Thanks for the uplifting and positive feedback

Quote by Lil Macker
Personally, I think it would look even better than it already does with those pickup covers. Have you got the spacing right on them?

It would look great with the pickup covers. It fits the Seymour Duncan pickup but the pole pieces don't align with the holes and they won't fit over the Gibson pickup, it's a little bigger than the SD. I guess there's no such thing as a universal pickup cover

EDIT: Look at all the Ice Breaker tins laying around my room
That ammo box in one of the pictures is completely full of them
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 20, 2009,
looks great, man. How does Dean feel about that?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
niiiiiiice

they really need to put in a drooling over guitar icon, cuz thats what i look like right now!
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
I could care less what Dean thinks about it haha. Currently I'm under what they call an "Idle Endorsement" until I get together a band worthy of contacting them about. Dealing with college right now the endorsement is taking a back seat.

I'm thinking about putting a Pearly Gates in the Razorback, neck position atm. But that won't be for another few months down the road
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Well, I happen to work for Dean, and you are FIRED!

jk, but your sig is a lie, then.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Not exactly, an Idle Endorsement is still an Endorsement. Plus this only occured about 3 weeks ago
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flying Couch
1. Black pickguard on Vs/Explorers = win.
2. Are you gonna change the truss rod cover?

Actually I like how all the white parts tie in together on this guitar. The Zebra-coiled pickup ties in well with the truss rod cover and the selector knob fits in as well. I like it just how it is now
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

It's pretty sick but im hating the inlays.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Very nice. Welcome to Club V. I also have a 2003 V faded cherry. It's had a mirror-plate pick-guard installed (looks rad) and a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat single coil in the neck.

I love my V - it gets played more than my Les Paul.