guys, we gotto get a new bass amp that can be heard over all other instruments at our practise sessions.. currently we got one VOX AD50VT & about to get one MARSHALL 100W stack for the two guitars, in addition to a 80W vocal amp.. & its a pretty normal sized practise room (a mid sized bedroom actually)..

so i just wanna know what should be the minimum wattage for the Bass Amp..
First off, the Marshall isn't an MG100HDFX is it? If so, don't get it, it's terrible and overpriced.

How loud are you planning to practice? Typically you'll need 100W or so to get over a loud drummer and the rest of the band. In such a small room, you could get by with less, but it'll be more stressful on the amp. What's your budget for it?
Nope, no sig here.
i have jammed with two 30w tube guitar amps, and a loud drummer with a 75w Peavey Max 115. I had to completely crank it to be heard. So my tone went out the window. But i could still be heard.

Those ashdown MAg 4x10s are cheap enough. Like $400? If you got one of them, you would be pretty set, and iirc, they take an extension cab too for vocals. And for bigger gigs, you can mic up
Quote by jimmy_neutron
i have jammed with two 30w tube guitar amps, and a loud drummer with a 75w Peavey Max 115. I had to completely crank it to be heard. So my tone went out the window. But i could still be heard.

Those ashdown MAg 4x10s are cheap enough. Like $400? If you got one of them, you would be pretty set, and iirc, they take an extension cab too for vocals. And for bigger gigs, you can mic up

+1 on the MAG, though the extension cab isn't for vocals...it's just more speakers.
Nope, no sig here.
no man, i know the terrible reputation of MG series.. we were planning to get the Marshall half stack alongwith head..
there's no such thing as the marshall halfstack
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
hey sorry for my last post, i confused it with the Marshall MG Combo series.. i guess i never did check out the model nos. of the Marshall stacks.. yeah, we were about to get that exact model.. now please feel to tell what exactly is wrong with it, coz i had heard bad things about the combo series, but not the half stacks..
@gilly_90.. please type "Marshall half stack" in Google & do a search.. i am not here to do a technical jargon as to correct model nos.
Quote by bluewaters999
@gilly_90.. please type "Marshall half stack" in Google & do a search.. i am not here to do a technical jargon as to correct model nos.

I know Marshall do halfstacks, what I am saying is that 'the Marshall halfstack' is not a model. They have model names and numbers.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
For practice? 30 SS watts or so is a decent number. For gigging? 200 SS watts minimum. And thats if your playing a loud 200w, like a Kustom
^When have you ever gotten away with 30 watts in practise? I've got a 100 watt amp and it JUST cuts it with only a drummer. Albeit, my bass has a relatively low output and the amp probably isn't putting out on full efficiency because it's broken to ****, it still has to at least be 75-80 watts net output.
To answer the Threadstarters question, I would suggest at least 100 watts, 150 to be in the real comfort zone.
well, we were hoping of something within $250, hence the Acoustic B100 really cuts in.. but as to quality i am not sure as most people are telling me to save money & invest in an Ampeg BA115 which costs $380.. thing is, we might have to carry it around for small gigs too.. so the durability factor is also there & as is the case with low priced amps, they never last long or so i've heard..

so guys, feedbacks please!!
Last edited by bluewaters999 at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^When have you ever gotten away with 30 watts in practise? I've got a 100 watt amp and it JUST cuts it with only a drummer. Albeit, my bass has a relatively low output and the amp probably isn't putting out on full efficiency because it's broken to ****, it still has to at least be 75-80 watts net output.
To answer the Threadstarters question, I would suggest at least 100 watts, 150 to be in the real comfort zone.

If you were talking to me, I meant 30w for bedroom practice. Not band practice.

I misread the question. I agree with the 150w comfort zone for band practice. The way I See it though, he may as well save up and get a suitable gigging amp. Hes only got 50 more watts to go at that point
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Aug 20, 2009,
I gig with the acoustic B10. 10 watts, 10 inch. but then again, it's just me and a guitarist, and he plays an acoustic. Pretty small venues, though.
Quote by Mutant Corn
+1 on the MAG, though the extension cab isn't for vocals...it's just more speakers.

Dunno where i was going with vocals
Quote by bluewaters999
well, we were hoping of something within $250, hence the Acoustic B100 really cuts in.. but as to quality i am not sure as most people are telling me to save money & invest in an Ampeg BA115 which costs $380.. thing is, we might have to carry it around for small gigs too.. so the durability factor is also there & as is the case with low priced amps, they never last long or so i've heard..

so guys, feedbacks please!!

Ampeg is now made in china, and managed by LOUD...their quality isn't any better than Acoustic's. It's actually worse if you count their customer service. You'll do fine with the B100.

And about the MG, everything you've heard about the MG combos carries over to the MG half stack as well...muddy, overly bassy tone, terrible digital distortion, unusable effects(all on one knob!), and overall lack of quality. The cab is just awful too. Granted, the new MG's, the 4th gen ones, aren't quite as bad as the old ones, but they're still way overpriced for what they are. Assuming you were getting this, I'd look for a tube combo instead...the outcome will be much better. Trust me, you won't need a halfstack for practice.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 20, 2009,
tube amps costs are way out of our league.. even though i would like to know the minimum wattage required for a tube guitar amp for band practise..
Quote by bluewaters999
tube amps costs are way out of our league.. even though i would like to know the minimum wattage required for a tube guitar amp for band practise..

man i have jammed with people who had 15 watt tube amps and they were plenty loud
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
man i have jammed with people who had 15 watt tube amps and they were plenty loud

Agreed...you shouldn't ever need more than a 50W tube amp unless you'e playing on a massive stage. Unlike SS amps, tube amps can put out up to 4 times their rated wattage...15W would be plenty for practice.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Agreed...you shouldn't ever need more than a 50W tube amp unless you'e playing on a massive stage. Unlike SS amps, tube amps can put out up to 4 times their rated wattage...15W would be plenty for practice.

15 tube watts is still only 60 ss watts. Not enough for a band practice really. And thats assuming you really are getting 4x the wattage, which is a generous amount
Remember that what you hear from a tube amp will also be percieved as louder than the same wattage from a SS amp. It's from the different harmonics and such. It's 2-3x as loud as a SS amp as percieved by the human ear so that means the guitarist would get 120-180 watts percieved volume. 4 times might be what it peaks at the highest point. I'd say 3x rms. that's still up to 90-135 percieved volume. seriously My lead guitarist has a carvin legacy combo(2x12) He keeps it on the 50 watt setting(it's switchable 50-100watt) and he can leave the volume on 3-4 when everyone else is going into the PA and still be louder than everyone.

Remember that wattage doesn't truly = volume

It has a lot to do with speaker efficiency and the number of speakers/speaker cone surface area.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
well, couldn't get the ACCOUSTIC B100 as its not available in my part of the world.. only thing available within our budget is a PEAVEY 112 bass combo which is not 100W..
Quote by bluewaters999
well, couldn't get the ACCOUSTIC B100 as its not available in my part of the world.. only thing available within our budget is a PEAVEY 112 bass combo which is not 100W..

if your band has a big enough pa you could mic the amp but i suggest you save up for a while, or sell some gear you don't use
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Best one:
Ashdown MAG300H + MAG210 2x10" + MAG115 1x15"
Loud enough for that practice room.
I gig with my 4x10". On many occasions it just blows away the PA.