I'm asking this question for my friend. He's looking for a new guitar to replace his broken Warlock (we suspect it's a pickup issue, but we're not sure), and all I know is that he wants it black, he wants it to be a Les Paul (maybe just the shape), and 24 frets would be nice. What would be a good guitar for that price? He plays alternative, classic rock, hard rock, and a little metal.
The problem with 24 fret LPs is that the design needs a pickup coil at the 24th fret position. Move that and you lose all semblance of a LP neck pup sound. Get back to 22 frets and there's loads of good options. Burny, Agile etc.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by TachikomaFire
if your gonna spend 500 just get new pickups.

I would suggest the zakk wylde emg 81 85 set

Thing is, he's like me. We both want to replace the pickups in our first guitars, but first we want to get our favorite guitars (his being a Les Paul, mine being an Explorer). Also, while Warlocks have nice fast necks, their body is extremely uncomfortable.

Quote by Lurcher
The problem with 24 fret LPs is that the design needs a pickup coil at the 24th fret position. Move that and you lose all semblance of a LP neck pup sound. Get back to 22 frets and there's loads of good options. Burny, Agile etc.

Alright, in that case, we'll have to wait for a 24 fret guitar. I've talked to him and he said that the 24 frets aren't needed, they're just nice to have.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Aug 20, 2009,
Generally I am of the same mindset that 23rd and 24th frets are needless and the tone of the neck pickup changes too much to make it worthwhile.

However, if a 24 fret, black Les Paul is what you want, there are a few options. I cna't vouch for prices as I'm not familiar with US pricing at all, but look into these.

There's the Epiphone 'Prophecy' series Les Paul Custom EX - quilt maple top with black dye, 24 frets on a special slim 'D' shape neck, comes with EMG 81 and 85 active pickups (which generally speaking you should avoid, if $500 is the sort of budget you have for guitars than I can't imagine your amps are anywhere near to what active pickups need to be useful). There's also the GX version which is dark red and has passive pickups instead.

ESP-LTD EC-401 and 401FM, one's plain black and the other is flame maple with black dye, they're both essentually the same as the Epiphone spec-wise, just the ESP neck will be slightly rounder (though it's not actually any thicker).

I believe, but don't hold me to this, that Agile also make a 24 fret LP copy. At least, I'm pretty sure I've seen one listed.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^Agile does have a Black LP with 24 frets for only $280, but it has an LFR
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Mr Flibble is a god.

but i really dont think i've seen any LP, authentic or copy with 24 frets. If you cant find one just tech your friend how to bend so he can reach his desired 24th fret note
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
but i really dont think i've seen any LP, authentic or copy with 24 frets.
That's funny, because I just named three. Not to mention all the other non-black 24 fret LPs there are.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Honestly i dont know anybody who uses the 23, 24th frests properly apart from Jeff Loomis. theres not much need for 24frets really, just bend up to the not if honest needs be.

I agree with Fibbles thoughts hes pretty much given you the best options.
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
LTD EC series 50, 100, 200 QM, 401,

All have 24 xtra jumbo frets and available in black color and beautiful les paul shape.

EC-401 comes with EMG 81/85s...
Quote by nav00
Honestly i dont know anybody who uses the 23, 24th frests properly apart from Jeff Loomis. theres not much need for 24frets really, just bend up to the not if honest needs be.

I agree with Fibbles thoughts hes pretty much given you the best options.

Alexi Laiho
Roope Latvala
Muhammed Suicmez
Jari Mäenpää
John Petrucci

They all use the 24th fret "properly" and thats just off the top of my head. anyway, "properly" is a subjective term, and as long as something sounds good to somebody, you really can't do anything improperly in regards to music. just differently. Besides, it's nice to have a 23rd and 24th fret and not have to use it often than only having 22 when you need to play a quick run or sweep that goes up to the 24th fret
Quote by MrFlibble
Generally I am of the same mindset that 23rd and 24th frets are needless and the tone of the neck pickup changes too much to make it worthwhile.

However, if a 24 fret, black Les Paul is what you want, there are a few options. I cna't vouch for prices as I'm not familiar with US pricing at all, but look into these.

There's the Epiphone 'Prophecy' series Les Paul Custom EX - quilt maple top with black dye, 24 frets on a special slim 'D' shape neck, comes with EMG 81 and 85 active pickups (which generally speaking you should avoid, if $500 is the sort of budget you have for guitars than I can't imagine your amps are anywhere near to what active pickups need to be useful). There's also the GX version which is dark red and has passive pickups instead.

ESP-LTD EC-401 and 401FM, one's plain black and the other is flame maple with black dye, they're both essentually the same as the Epiphone spec-wise, just the ESP neck will be slightly rounder (though it's not actually any thicker).

I believe, but don't hold me to this, that Agile also make a 24 fret LP copy. At least, I'm pretty sure I've seen one listed.

Flibble, you're right on. Except for the fact that the LTD's have MUCH better pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Agile does make a 24 fret lp copy, its fr is very good for a licensed. and its in your price range, you will have to change pickups tho, thats the only complaint i have with agile is the pickups and electronics are garbage.
~Defiant~
Quote by Killedelphia19
Alexi Laiho
Roope Latvala
Muhammed Suicmez
Jari Mäenpää
John Petrucci

They all use the 24th fret "properly" and thats just off the top of my head. anyway, "properly" is a subjective term, and as long as something sounds good to somebody, you really can't do anything improperly in regards to music. just differently. Besides, it's nice to have a 23rd and 24th fret and not have to use it often than only having 22 when you need to play a quick run or sweep that goes up to the 24th fret

Touche Salesman!!
though i must admit that Alexi hardly uses the 24th and 23rd frets much. He admits that quite alot to people that he doesnt use it that often. Dunno about Roope as he keeps himself to himself alot interview wise.

But yeah your right about Petrucci, not too familiar with the others but ill take your word for it
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by MrFlibble
That's funny, because I just named three. Not to mention all the other non-black 24 fret LPs there are.
Well I did say I have never SEEN one. Just because I've never seen one doesn't mean there isn't any. Silly MrFlibble
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by oneblackened
Flibble, you're right on. Except for the fact that the LTD's have MUCH better pickups.
...Except they both have EMG 81/85 combinations, though of course active pickups are aterrible choice for most people anyway - which brings us nicely to the passive models, which have Gibson Dirty Fingers and Seymour Duncan Hot Rod sets, neither of which is arguably any better or worse than the other.
Quote by MrFlibble
...Except they both have EMG 81/85 combinations, though of course active pickups are aterrible choice for most people anyway - which brings us nicely to the passive models, which have Gibson Dirty Fingers and Seymour Duncan Hot Rod sets, neither of which is arguably any better or worse than the other.

That wouldn't be a problem for us. He's got a Spider III at home, but our rhythm guitarist has a vintage Fender Twin Reverb at his house.
That's still very much a problem. Active pickups are for driving an all-valve, naturally mid or hi-gain amplifier. A Twin Reverb is nowhere near that. It's a very nice amp, I'm after one myself, but it's not something you'd pair with active pickups.
Quote by MrFlibble
That's still very much a problem. Active pickups are for driving an all-valve, naturally mid or hi-gain amplifier. A Twin Reverb is nowhere near that. It's a very nice amp, I'm after one myself, but it's not something you'd pair with active pickups.

Well, he's got a couple other nice amps, not sure what they are though. I think one is some sort of Peavey hybrid.
Quote by MrFlibble

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant a regular LP standard, my bad

Anyhow, the Hot Rod set is quite a bit more versatile than the Dirty Fingers set. Those things have ridiculous amounts of output, probably rivaling the Duncan Distortion Mayhem set.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 20, 2009,
IF you dont mind 22 frets...

Musicians friend has a Epiphone les paul studio deluxe for $350
with a hardshell epiphone case included.

The only color in stock is Black though.

I think EMG's are a waste of money if you dont play on a tube amp VERY LOUD.
Thats when they shine.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Jumbug23
If 24 frets arent necessary whats the benefit of only having 22 ???

Why did you bump this?

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, my friend got this guitar. 22 frets, but it's pretty nice.