I heard that he never used textbook barre chords instead he wrapped his thumb over the top of the neck to fret the low strings
Quote by i_killed_bill
I heard that he never used textbook barre chords instead he wrapped his thumb over the top of the neck to fret the low strings

He knew how to do your normal barre chords, however, he wanted to be able to add fills and bends during the barre chords. So he started fretting the low E string with his thumb, and using his index middle and ring finger to sound out the other notes of the chord, which left his pinky free so he can add fills.

Really, just watch how he plays. Pick up how he uses scales, and chords. Chords, yes, he loved to use altered chords and slides.
I wouldnt call Hendrix's playing full of perfect technique. infact it was pretty awful, but regardless of this he still managed to be an amazing player, soul flowed through his finger tips.

And before i get criticised for saying the above statement, i would also like to state that I'll never be as good as hendrix regardless of technique
Quote by EatShreddies
I wouldnt call Hendrix's playing full of perfect technique. infact it was pretty awful, but regardless of this he still managed to be an amazing player, soul flowed through his finger tips.

And before i get criticised for saying the above statement, i would also like to state that I'll never be as good as hendrix regardless of technique

You're right, his playing was very sloppy and unrefined, but of course not to the detriment of musicality.

TS, watch the DVDs Live at Monterey and Live at Woodstock. Listen to Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland. Watch interviews with him and documentaries about him on YouTube. Buy his biography by Charles R. Cross and read it.

Hendrix's techniques and playing style were an accumulation of the last 12 years of his life.
Quote by blue_strat
You're right, his playing was very sloppy and unrefined, but of course not to the detriment of musicality.

TS, watch the DVDs Live at Monterey and Live at Woodstock. Listen to Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland. Watch interviews with him and documentaries about him on YouTube. Buy his biography by Charles R. Cross and read it.

Hendrix's techniques and playing style were an accumulation of the last 12 years of his life.

To add to the biography. There is one by Sharon Lawrence that explains a lot that Charles didn't cover. Currently reading it, I read the one by Charles.

Yes, TS. Listen to bluestrat.