has anyone ever made their own shielded wires? i'm in the process of rewiring my hagstrom (out of sheer boredom) and stumbled across what could either be a good cheap method of shielding wires or a completely pointless waste of time. it all depends on perspective really. anyway...

i soldered up my 4way rotary switch and then took the 4 wires coming off and twisted them all nice and neat when it dawned on me that while i can use copper tape to sheild the pickup cavities and the electronics cavity it's downright impossible for me to shield the channel that goes to the rotary switch, even though it's probably not necessary to shield it either. regardless, due to my boredom and need to find something to do, i took my roll of solder wick and cut off a long enough section of it to shield those wires.

if you ever look at solder wick you notice that it resembles something akin to a chinese finger lock, like it's a "tube", or rather sheath, that shrinks when you stretch it and it opens up when you compress it upon itself very carefully. it takes some doing but you can open it up enough to slide some wires thru it if you have enough patience. so basically i delicately opened up the solder wick and slid the wires thru, put some heat shrink on the end and ended up with a shielded cable. once i put some copper tape in the toggle switch cavity i'll be able to ground everything together using the sheath.

not exactly the best "tip" or "trick" per se but it could be beneficial to someone i'm sure. if anyone sees any faults to doing things this way let me know.
you can buy braid tube in various sizes. it costs a hell of a lot less than solder wick.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yeah i know but i'm just using the contents of my junk drawer and i rarely ever use solder wick but i have lots of it from when i used to. gotta use it on something.
I've had people say that twisting two pieces of wire together and using one for the signal and grounding the other gives something similar to the effect of shielded wire.

Its not going to be as effective as shielded, but it may be able to reduce some noise.

I've never done this, but i have seen it discussed on amplifier forums before.
I usually strip the braid from old TV aerial cable to make shielded cable.

I bundle up the wires I want to use, wrap some tinned-copper wired around them to keep 'em together and slide the braid on. The tinned-copper wire makes contact with the braid inside, so that's the wire your ground at one end. (I just strip some solid-core wire to get the tinned-copper wire) Finally I cover the whole lot with heatshrink and/or plastic braid.

The cables from computer monitors also contain loads of useful braid and shielded wire...
What worm?!