I Don't if this is the right place to post it but I give it a try and else please move it =

Anyway my question was how many of you practice/band repetate with ear protection...
I heard a creepy story about someone in Belgium who had always a peeeeeep in his ear because he damaged his ears with too loud music and stuff and then he commited suicide because he was getting crazy of it... Of course it won't come so far with me but it made me think about getting some protection while practicing so tell me what you guys do and if you use it what brand.

Thanks
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
I Don't if this is the right place to post it but I give it a try and else please move it =

Anyway my question was how many of you practice/band repetate with ear protection...
I heard a creepy story about someone in Belgium who had always a peeeeeep in his ear because he damaged his ears with too loud music and stuff and then he commited suicide because he was getting crazy of it... Of course it won't come so far with me but it made me think about getting some protection while practicing so tell me what you guys do and if you use it what brand.

Thanks

Heard that too (with me living in Belgium and all...), and I'm considering buying something called Partyplugs, a drummer I know uses them too, I've heard they're very good, cancel out a lot of noise, and even for festivals and concerts they're great (from what I've heard)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Etymotic ER20 baby blues hi fi earplugs. I use them at gigs too. Means I can enjoy the music and still hear myself think at the end
I googled a bit e few minuts ago and most of the people in my country use alpine earprotection are these any good or do someone know anything about them?
Yeah, I have the same kinda ringing in my ear you'd get from excessive loud music, except it's from earwax build up (I gotta get them syringed one of these days) and it's driving me insane, don't damage your ears, or you'll hate it. Only thing that stops me going insane from this noise is I know I can fix it.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Custom-made Variphone ER20 plugs. Fantastic for gigging.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

I don't like the plugs I have because I can only seem to hear bass frequencies, and the singing sounds like a gargle. Do more expensive ones not do this?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
I don't like the plugs I have because I can only seem to hear bass frequencies, and the singing sounds like a gargle. Do more expensive ones not do this?

The Variphone's I just mentioned are modified to only lower the amplitude of sound. They reduce this with somewhere between a good 15-20 dB, while doing minimum editing to the total musical/tonal spectrum. This means that the balance between bass and middle/treble will still be maintained.

PDF: http://www.variphone.com/downloads/MEP_en.pdf

My Youtube Page

Last edited by ItWillDo at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
Does someone use it at home while practicing too?
I don't - but I have my volume pretty low when I'm practicing at home (neighbour-friendly volumes are pretty quiet when you're in a flat lol)
Quote by zhilla
I don't - but I have my volume pretty low when I'm practicing at home (neighbour-friendly volumes are pretty quiet when you're in a flat lol)

I always try to keep it quiet too because of my brothers and sisters who don't really liek the music I play
But I really don't know how hard 80 Db is so i wanted to see if you all practice with ear protection
I don't see the point in ear protection when I'm playing at home by myself - if ear defenders jsut reduce the volume, I can do that with the volume knob
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
I always try to keep it quiet too because of my brothers and sisters who don't really liek the music I play
But I really don't know how hard 80 Db is so i wanted to see if you all practice with ear protection

80 dB is about the volume of a vacuüm Cleaner, 90 is capable of damaging your hearing. Do bear in mind that when reaching a volume of 80 dB, even slight changes can have a large impact considering that sound intensity has a logarithmic scale.

My Youtube Page

I would absolutely suggest that everyone who plays live get ear protection. I know so many people who have tinnitus(sp) from not taking care of their ears. I'm borderline but I think I started using earplugs in time. My Right ear however is seriously done in, if music gets too loud it just hurts like buggery.
Quote by Jesstaa
Yeah, I have the same kinda ringing in my ear you'd get from excessive loud music, except it's from earwax build up (I gotta get them syringed one of these days) and it's driving me insane, don't damage your ears, or you'll hate it. Only thing that stops me going insane from this noise is I know I can fix it.

Earwax build up? How did that happen?
Last edited by symba05 at Aug 20, 2009,