I'm really into tech death metal, Obscura, Necrophagist, Cannibal Corpse, some of the techdeathcore (?) bands, that kind of thing. What would be a good piece to start playing with?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Hmm. Start with Necrophagist I'd say. The bass isn't OVERLY complex. But for tech-death, there's no such thing as a "beginner" song lol. You need to be pretty skilled to play any of it.

Good luck.
First of, they aren't techdeathcore, but just technical death metal. Yeah I know, I'm being whiny
Older Cannibal Corpse isn't technical really, so you could start with that.
Good luck
Who said they are tech deathcore? =)
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
When he says tech deathcore, he probably means he's into some of the Sumerian bands, stuff like that. I think.
Quote by AA00P
When he says tech deathcore, he probably means he's into some of the Sumerian bands, stuff like that. I think.

Kind of BTBAM, that kind of thing. I just didn't want to sully those "real" bands

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
Kind of BTBAM, that kind of thing. I just didn't want to sully those "real" bands

Ooh, I love me some BTBAM.
And it is a fine line to tread, some of those elitists can get positively explosive.
Quote by AA00P
Ooh, I love me some BTBAM.
And it is a fine line to tread, some of those elitists can get positively explosive.

My point I've decided to go with Cannibal Corpse as most of their stuff stays in 4/4.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Some Necrophagist is relatively simple. I'd start with Cannibal Corpse though. Hammer Smashed Face or I Cum Blood.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Yeah, Cannibal Corpse have definitely increased the 'tech' element in their music over time. I'd say start with their earlier discography and work your way up.

And as far as "techdeathcore" goes, The Faceless have some nice, relatively easy songs.

I feel a fretless is really necessary for Obscura though. That mwah is an integral aspect of their music.
Quote by CurbstompBass

I feel a fretless is really necessary for Obscura though. That mwah is an integral aspect of their music.

I f*cking love that bass sound. He really makes it work with the music.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
I f*cking love that bass sound. He really makes it work with the music.

Seconded, buddy. That is, to me, one of the best bass tones in metal. None of that scooped mids clank nonsense. Just pure growly mwah that slices through the mix while still keeping a fat bottom-end.
Quick sampler from personal experience (I'm still learning, but this helps):
To be a technical death metal bassist, you must first:
1. Be good at playing less complex lines, like traditional metal/thrash metal (Even if you don't like it.)
2. Know your notes on the fretboard.
3. Be comfortable playing any patterns on bass. Slowly first.
4. Develop a percise 3 finger picking technique. First slowly, then upto beat.
5. Develop maintaning tempos (Not just "slow" or "fast", but know your BPM's)

Then come the basslines. In my oppinion, the simplest (Or slowest) bassline for getting a grasp on technical death metal, is Nile - Sarco***us (I know it's easy to play, but it's good fretboard exercise). Learn that. When you can play it, and honestly tell yourself, that you can play it good, take a days off and then play it 10 more times. If you still play it good, try learning some traditional death metal, cause that's where it came from. "Carcass - Heartwork", "At The Gates - Blinded By Fear", "Autopsy - Ridden with disease" are not so technical, but are a good practice routine. I play them all the time, just because they are simple to remember - perfect for training.
If you can handle that - time for harder things. Try "Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked". Really great bassline. Handle that? Take on any other nile song.
If you can play nile, than you are well on your way to technical death metal mastery. Best thing to do now, is study other bassists and develop your own techniques. From here, the ammount of paths is infinite.
Cheers.
^Shame Nile has barely audible bass.. Their guitarwork is great, but it would be a lot better if they had a seperate bassist (I think Karl records bass in the studio, and they've got a live guy) to give some better basslines.
Quote by Lollage123
^Shame Nile has barely audible bass.. Their guitarwork is great, but it would be a lot better if they had a seperate bassist (I think Karl records bass in the studio, and they've got a live guy) to give some better basslines.

They had Jon Vesano from Black Seeds Of Vengeance to Annihilation Of The Wicked. Great bassist. His lines are quite audible. Now Dallas records their bass. His performance is thight, but BARELEY AUDIBLE. Live guy shreds awesome tho.
Quote by nesveikuolis

What do you mean by "any patterns"?
*slow*

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I have a similar desire, TS. I'd like to be able to play techdeath.

Quote by nesveikuolis
Quick sampler from personal experience (I'm still learning, but this helps):
To be a technical death metal bassist, you must first:
1. Be good at playing less complex lines, like traditional metal/thrash metal (Even if you don't like it.)
2. Know your notes on the fretboard.
4. Develop a percise 3 finger picking technique. First slowly, then upto beat.
5. Develop maintaning tempos (Not just "slow" or "fast", but know your BPM's)

1. Traditional: Like Maiden/Sabbath? Thrash: Like Slayer/Anthrax?
2. Alright.
3. Answered above...alright.
4. Do you mean accurate, smooth galloping?
5. What do you mean here?
Quote by Royal Celebi

4. Do you mean accurate, smooth galloping?

He means being able to play consistent 16ths and stuff like that, not just galloping. It gets hard sometimes trying to get your three fingers to do things like 8 quick 16ths, as you can get confused and overplay the notes.
so it is advised to practise playing consistent fast notes like 16ths using three fingers, even when not gallopping, rather than two?
Quote by bolivardogman
so it is advised to practise playing consistent fast notes like 16ths using three fingers, even when not gallopping, rather than two?

if you can play it with 2 fingers well then i don't see why three would be better in that situation, whichever way gets the job done more comfortably

when i need to play 16th notes faster than i can with 2 fingers i go to 2+3+3 for 8 notes then repeat it; if you use 3 fingers over and over you have to make sure not to accidentally accent every third note
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
yea, I just wondered if its maybe anatomically more efficient to use three rather than two or something.