Hi guys,

Need a bit of help, basically a guy did me over on eBay and I bought a "brand new" Epi, thing is it needs a good service to correct the dire intonation/action issues, no problem, I'm going to get him back by getting some o my money back.

So as I'll be taking it to the shop for a good setup, I decided that while it's there, I may as well replace the stock pickups.

I run through a Fender '94 Twin Amp, and a Mesa Single Rec Solo 50 for my lead and dirty sounds, sometimes use it for clean too.

I like to play blues/heavy rock/close-to-metal/alternative type stuff (influenced heavily by Dave Gilmour/Porcupuine Tree/Clapton and Dream Theater) and initially I was thinking about SD '59 and JB. But now I've been swayed to think more outside of the 'generic' box and have turned my attentions to maybe loading it with some DiMarzio Evolutions or more likely a pair of Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat humbuckers recommended to me when I spoke to Tim and told him what he thought was best for the sound i want to get.

Thing is, I would like to know your opinions on those pickups and if you think I should consider others. Secondly, while it's getting a service, and new pickups, is there anything else that comes stock in Epi LP's that you think I should consider replacing at the same time.

E.g. I read somewhere that there's no point in putting good pickups in if I'm using crappy pots etc. It must be said, I have absolutely no idea about quality components, indeed what components are what and what needs to be considered, ALL of this is completely new to me and I'd appreciate a bit of advice to get everything right for when my guitar lands back in my lap after a good old makeover!

Many thanks and sorry for the long post!
get the bareknuckle pickups there amazing.

also if you want good quality pots your gonna have to replace al the wiring and get a decent jack while your at it, ill find some in a sec
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Excellent, thank you. Is it worthwhile a job to do, when replacing the pickups?

In ppl's opinions, what can I do to make this Epiphone a beter quality guitar? In general, are the stock components bad and do they really need a complete overhaul?

Many thanks
I use an Epi Les Paul too.
Originally I tried a Seymour Duncan, and then a Dimarzio, but I was never impressed with either. Eventually I bought a pair of high-output types from http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/, and they blew the others away! Best money I ever spent. Pretty much equivalent to barknuckle, only handwound and quite a bit cheaper.

The quality of the pots/hardware doesn't have a great deal of influence on the sound of the pickups (esp if you always play with the controls maxed). Yeah, it's nice to have top-notch hardware, but you can change that later if you like. The pickups will still sound pretty much the same- that's where 90% of the guitar's tone comes from.

However, I recently had the frets on my Epi refinished, and a few things came to light. The nut had been put in badly, so the action was poor, and it caused the frets to wear too quickly, and unevenly. The bridge had also been filed in some weird way (new from factory!) which ruined the intonation and also caused the top strings to snap often. These things have been fixed now, and it plays like a completely new (better) intrument!
I would recommend that you have your action set right after you change your pickups, and find someone who can recognise a good/bad nut!

Once all that is sorted and you have proper action and a good set of pickups you may want to set about shielding the pot cavity (to reduce hum) and buying better pots.
What worm?!
I personally love duncan pickups and would more that likely buy them for any guitar that i modded. DiMarzios are good too though.

Never played/heard a bare knuckle pickup but I've heard mixed reviews about them, arn't they commonly associated with metal?

I doubt changing the pots would do much at all to the tone.

One thing I can think of that you could change is the tuners, I dont know how good they are on epi LPs but alot of the time theyre crappy on cheaper guitars, so if they are, you wont regret an upgrade.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove

One thing I can think of that you could change is the tuners, I dont know how good they are on epi LPs

Good point. Mine (stock tulip heads) have been fine for years, but they're pretty cheap. Some nice locking heads would definitely be a plus.
What worm?!
Yeah, I should think epiphone ones would be fine, youll get by with them. But they could be improved, depends how far out you wanna go with modding your guitar.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Thanks for the input guys, I've got a lot to write down and think about. A lot of which I'll put by the techie so I get his advice too.

I'll take a look at the swinehead stuff merlinblencowe, the Bare Knuckle stuff is handwound too. If they're similar then it's definitely worth taking a look at.

Thanks again fella's, I'll let you know how I get on.