hi everyone
i was hoping someone could recomend me a guitar (electric) for my son, a child of 4 years of age. hes never off mine but its way too big for him. theres a few on ebay but their crap,so any advice would be welcome. cheers
Rondo-Music has a lot of cheap short-scale instruments (SX brand, that is). I ordered a fretless six-string bass from them... great experience overall.
i would go with the coolest cheapo you can find. he's four, it's a toy, not a product of your vicarious living.

when i was a kid, my old man usta' put a baseball in my crib, but i didn't go out and buy a nice bat and glove until i was into the game on my own, get what i'm sayin? this is just a time to spark the interrest, not train the next YEENGWEE from birth.
There's a SpongeBob strat for kids.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by GrisKy
i would go with the coolest cheapo you can find. he's four, it's a toy, not a product of your vicarious living.

when i was a kid, my old man usta' put a baseball in my crib, but i didn't go out and buy a nice bat and glove until i was into the game on my own, get what i'm sayin? this is just a time to spark the interrest, not train the next YEENGWEE from birth.

Troo dat.

Get him a cheap guitar and make it all colorful put a big smiley face on it.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
cheers guys,i can see your point in saying its only a toy,and i know hes only four but he is very attentative when trying to learn something. i might go for the spongbob one.i just hope its not like the one my nephew has its a tiny electric but its impossible to tune which seems to be the case with most of the tiny ones.
Avoid the first act ones. They are complete crap. A lot of ones "meant for kids" are crap. Go used on craigslist and you're bound to find something cheap.

Otherwise, I would agree with the rondomusic comment as you can get an SX for really cheap. I bought a douglas strat copy off of them and had a great experience with their service.

You can try this. 3/4 scale (They have other colors as well, I just liked the sunburst)
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2197.html

Otherwise I would say a mini squier.

Here's the list of their electrics on rondo
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

Very reliable and honest company. I had no problems with their products.
Getting a 3/4 scale doesn't completely mean it's suitable for kids. A 3/4 scale is still quite big for a 4 year old. I don't know about the spongebob one as I haven't seen it.

EDIT: so I have looked it up. Sponge bob is 7/8. Bigger than the 3/4's. If I were you, I'd get a ukelele. great start to get those fingers. That's if he really wants to learn. + learn guitar after, he can still use his ukelele skills.
Last edited by squareimage at Aug 20, 2009,
Get him on piano if anything else. It holds amazingly transferable theory, and is probably THE instrument to learn

Not that I can play the piano.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Get him on piano if anything else. It holds amazingly transferable theory, and is probably THE instrument to learn

this is really good, and keyboards can be had on the cheap.
Try a Fender Squier Mini .. It's great to start out and not a crappy guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Dude, the kid loves the electric guitar. Bringing him home a piano and saying "here, play this. You can pretend you're Yanni. He's almost as cool as Angus Young." runs the risk of making the kid quit music altogether.
this isnt a fly by night thing with him,he was looking a guitar for xmas last year but i thought he was too young,and now hes still looking one.he goes into my room nearly everyday strumming my guitar and constantly knocking it out a tune lol.
Quote by squareimage
Getting a 3/4 scale doesn't completely mean it's suitable for kids. A 3/4 scale is still quite big for a 4 year old. I don't know about the spongebob one as I haven't seen it.

EDIT: so I have looked it up. Sponge bob is 7/8. Bigger than the 3/4's. If I were you, I'd get a ukelele. great start to get those fingers. That's if he really wants to learn. + learn guitar after, he can still use his ukelele skills.

just after i posted this thread i went to the local guitar shop with him and the guy there said start him on the ukelele,so when the guy gets it down from the shelf he looks at me and says "thats not a guitar" lol.
Quote by *kev*
just after i posted this thread i went to the local guitar shop with him and the guy there said start him on the ukelele,so when the guy gets it down from the shelf he looks at me and says "thats not a guitar" lol.

its in the guitar family. but yes, start him on the ukelele. if he learns it, he can keep his skills for the rest of his life. plus at a young age, he gets used to the finger movements and when it comes to a real guitar, he will learn the guitar pretty easy as well.