I've got the option to get either the Epiphone G-400 or a Les paul Standard Plus top.
I play mainly alternative rock,punk and hard rock.
Which one would be better for me?

EDIT:also avilibale is the G-400 Custom.
Last edited by Firebirdz at Aug 20, 2009,
G-400

Got more of a bite to the sound, Les paul is very smooth.
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
Neither because the G400 is hopelessly unplayable unless you enjoy having the headstock on the floor and the LP is not the quality that the price would suggest.
Depending where you are, look for a good alternative copy. USA would be Agile, Burny, Tokai, EU would be Vintage, T.C. Ellis, Tokai and Burny. All these companies offer decent LPs and SGs or almost SGs.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Necr0maniac
G-400

Got more of a bite to the sound, Les paul is very smooth.

not strictly true - les pauls actually have a brighter sound than SGs, it's just a fuller range sound with a more rounded bass response - SG's have a narrower tonal response, with pronounced throaty mid-range and a very tight bass response - tighter, not brighter - although, since epiphone les pauls have a maple veneer instead of a full maple top the difference will be less obvious than if we were to compare gibsons.

i think les pauls are more versatile, but SG's have a different tone which is no better or worse, that you may prefer if you play lots of distorted styles of music. SGs have a more raw distorted tone which you might find suits your styles of music better.

edit: @lurcher, i've said it before and i'll say it again - in the nicest way possible, you are a blatant hater and your advice on epiphones is consistently biased and unhelpful. these guitars are not great but they are decent, for the price - just because you don't like them, doesn't mean nobody else will, and some people can live with the neckdive, by, you know, holding on to the neck while they play? i don't intend that as a flame, i'm just tired of seeing you un-constructively bashing epiphones in every single thread about them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 20, 2009,
I have to agree with the neckdive thing. It makes it nearly impossible to play anything more complex that chords. Having to grip your neck tightly really slows you down and hinders your playing. It's a huge problem when you can't play a guitar standing up. Even if you learn to live with it, it's something that you shouldn't have to deal with when spending $400 on a guitar. Especially when you can spend half of that and not have that problem.
I had a G-400 that I sold because the neck dive was so ridiculous. Its not because of the weight balance like a lot of people suggest though. Gibsons don't neck dive because the strap button is placed about 1" higher on a Gibson SG than on the Epiphones. The Gibson neck joint is higher on the neck which leaves material to place the button higher.

In terms of quality, the Les Pauls are much higher and are probably the best from Epiphone. I thought the quality was excellent on the Ep. Les Pauls I tried before I got my Gibson.
i have a G-400 and I really like it.

I don't really have the neck dive problem, mine doesn't go down when I release the neck.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I have to agree with the neckdive thing. It makes it nearly impossible to play anything more complex that chords. Having to grip your neck tightly really slows you down and hinders your playing. It's a huge problem when you can't play a guitar standing up. Even if you learn to live with it, it's something that you shouldn't have to deal with when spending $400 on a guitar. Especially when you can spend half of that and not have that problem.

have you actually played an epi SG?

the neck dive thing is not a problem unless you let go of the neck - you only have to grip the neck tightly if you're doing it wrong.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

I own one. I'm selling it though, mainly because of the dive. You cannot comfortably slide along the neck because you need to be constantly holding it. As soon as you let go, the headstock wants to be on the floor and that throws everything off. It's fine if you're playing simple stuff, but anything where you move your hand and fingers with precision will be a problem.
I owned a G400 and was only content with it for a couple of months. I actually had to change out the bridge pickup for an Angus Young signature because it was so darned muddy. Darned thing never stayed in tune even though I had fixed the action several times. A while after I got my first LP, I just sold it.

And from my personal experience of playing a G400, an Epiphone LP standard can't play that much better.

There are many better guitars out there for your cash, namely Edwards, Burnys and Tokais if you can get a hold of them.
Quote by HoffManCometh
I owned a G400 and was only content with it for a couple of months. I actually had to change out the bridge pickup for an Angus Young signature because it was so darned muddy. Darned thing never stayed in tune even though I had fixed the action several times. A while after I got my first LP, I just sold it.

And from my personal experience of playing a G400, an Epiphone LP standard can't play that much better.

There are many better guitars out there for your cash, namely Edwards, Burnys and Tokais if you can get a hold of them.

I cant get hold of one,since here there aren't many companys who sell their guitars.
If you want i can tell you what companys i can get a hold of.
I have a g-400, and a al-3000(les paul copy). I enjoy the feel, the upper fret access, the weight, the tone, of the g-400 more than the agile. I love the distorted tone of my g-400. The neck dive isn't really a problem as I don't find it really that bad.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
PLay them and see which one you like better. They are both very similar animals (I am aware of the slight tonal differences due to the body shape and composition, but for components they are similar and have a similar sound) so you should just play each and mostly base your choice off of feel. My dad has an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plain top, and I have a G-400 66 reissue and they are so similar tonally that it really just comes down to look and feel. I prefer the feel of my sg (aside from the ungodly neck heavyness, but I get used to that) over the les paul, and it is just so damn sexy.
Neither because the G400 is hopelessly unplayable unless you enjoy having the headstock on the floor and the LP is not the quality that the price would suggest.
Depending where you are, look for a good alternative copy. USA would be Agile, Burny, Tokai, EU would be Vintage, T.C. Ellis, Tokai and Burny. All these companies offer decent LPs and SGs or almost SGs.

Wrong.At first the neck heaviness was pretty bad,but I eventually got used to it.I did move the strap button to the tip of the horn though.I use a nice wide leather strap and strap-locks.Now I can let go of the guitar completely and have no problems with neck dive at all.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I own one. I'm selling it though, mainly because of the dive. You cannot comfortably slide along the neck because you need to be constantly holding it. As soon as you let go, the headstock wants to be on the floor and that throws everything off. It's fine if you're playing simple stuff, but anything where you move your hand and fingers with precision will be a problem.

that's nonsense. if you're having to grip the neck tightly all the time then the only possible conclusion i can come to is that it's something wrong with your technique, not the imbalance of the guitar, because i can let go of a tight grip on the neck to slide comfortably along it without having a problem on both my G-400s (one of which has the worst neckdive i've ever come arcoss), and can play them just as well as i can on anything else - the neck really isn't so out of balance that simply not gripping tightly will make it slip and fall out of position, unless you let go of it completely. so i really don't get what you're saying, although i can see it's a wise decision for you to sell yours nonetheless...

Wow.Thank you everybody .
I just want to know-what's the diffrence between the Les paul Standard and the Les paul Ultra?
Quote by Firebirdz
Wow.Thank you everybody .
I just want to know-what's the diffrence between the Les paul Standard and the Les paul Ultra?

The Les Paul Ultra is chambered, there is less wood "in" the guitar. This means that the guitar is lighter but it will lose some of the "real Les Paul" tone.

The Les Paul Ultra-II also has a piezo pickup in the fretboard that simulates the sound of an acoustic guitar.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Aug 21, 2009,
Actually, no.

You pay extra for the chambered body and the finish. I'm not a fan of the chambering because it takes tone away. I also heard that the gold paint goes of off the hardware after a while (due to sweat). I would really get the Standard over the Ultra.

The finish of the Plus Top is nicer (IMO) and you don't need the chambering, so the extra money for the Ultra would be, well, wasted.

Sorry for all the edits.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by kckyle
so much grammar mistakes in this thread

Yeah,i fail at writing.
Quote by kckyle
actually i wasn't talking about you

If you're talking about me... Well English isn't my native language so...
Quote by kckyle
so much many, not much grammar mistakes in this thread

You're one to be talking.

Anyway, get the G-400. LP's weigh about half a ton (Epiphones do anyway).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
LES PAUL EXTREMELY VERSATILE an sg is t me a second guitar and an lp a first
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by greendayispunk
LES PAUL EXTREMELY VERSATILE an sg is t me a second guitar and an lp a first

K man, i think ill go with what you say.
Because green day IS awesome.
Not really because of that,just wanted to make it clear.
Quote by Firebirdz
K man, i think ill go with what you say.
Because green day IS awesome.
Not really because of that,just wanted to make it clear.

thanks alot hhahah my les paul is a BEUTY I LOVE IT i am thinking of getting a start nxt or maby an sg but the other lp's keep stealing my heart but i need an amp first :P
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by oneblackened
You're one to be talking.

Anyway, get the G-400. LP's weigh about half a ton (Epiphones do anyway).

that is pretty minor comparing to others, at least mine is understandable.
Well,i guess i got what i needed .
I'm going to the store in a few days to try 'em both,i'll probably post about my NGD when i get the new one.
Anybody with a suggestion or an opinion can post it-every post helps.
Takes time to get used to the SG's neck dive, but eventualy ull be fine with it.

I have no problems with my SG's neck dive what so ever. Doesnt affect playing at all now. If it affects yours well you don't practise enough.

Id go for the SG, much lighter and nicer to play in my opinion. But its up to you, try both out. But maybe i'm being bias lol

I have a G-400 deluxe, got a maple top, but they don't make these anymore.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<