It turns out that where I work (cleaner at a car showroom) there are a loooot of well-hidden security cameras. Sadly enough, the head guy of the place goes home and watches the cleaners with the cameras after closing, because apparently someone took a bottle of water from the fridge and he "isn't happy about it".

I can't scratch my balls anymore - even if I think I'm alone - just because a bottle of water went missing. That's ****ed up.

Either way, what do you guys think about CCTV cameras at the workplace, and the thought of some sad **** with no life watching you as you work? Ever been caught doing something by CCTV? Think it's a good thing? Want to tear 'em all down?

Personally I think it's a complete invasion of privacy. They should only be allowed to look at footage if SOMETHING HAS CLEARLY HAPPENED in order to use it as evidence. I really don't think a missing bottle of water is a good enough excuse.

I can't scratch my balls anymore. Come ON!

Edit: No, I don't actually scratch my balls at work. Yeesh.
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
Last edited by Talonwolf at Aug 21, 2009,
It has ups and downs. Mostly downs if your main hobby at work is scractching you balls.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Rub fecal matter on them to obscure their vision.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

.. The wise one has spoken.
Gear:
Some sort of guitar, of some sort.
Another one
Big amp
Small amp
A pedal
A pedal again
Some kind of box that goes into the computer.. Haven't figured out its function yet.
Quote by Talonwolf

Personally I think it's a complete invasion of privacy. They should only be allowed to look at footage if SOMETHING HAS CLEARLY HAPPENED in order to use it as evidence. I really don't think a missing bottle of water is a good enough excuse.

Their business, their rules. If they want cameras, they have the right to use them. And as far as I know, scratching your balls isn't a fireable offense.

Don't like it, get a new job.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I think people aren't realising the ball-scratching thing was merely a cunning plan to keep folks interested...

Either way, I can't get a new job. There are none (I've been trying). Turning up to an interview and being interviewed 15 people at a time with a line of about 300 people outside the building.... Yea, things are pretty dire right now.

And those cameras don't give ME any security whatsoever. Neither do the ones on the street, because the three times I've been assaulted I've been told by the police, "Oh yeah... those cameras don't actually record anything".

Seems that the only cameras that work are in wealthy areas or in/near private businesses.

Better hope your boss isnt a UG'er
He stays at home during the day stalking people for a living...
So he probably is
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
You need to be in a union, they'll ensure that the footage can never be used in a dismissals case (as per the law) unless it is being used to prove gross misconduct (eg. Blowing something up, rape, etc)

Quote by MetalGS3SE
Their business, their rules. If they want cameras, they have the right to use them. And as far as I know, scratching your balls isn't a fireable offense.

Don't like it, get a new job.

No, if you don't like it organise to change it. It may be their business but workers have rights and the business must respect those rights if they want their rights respected.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
No, if you don't like it organise to change it. It may be their business but workers have rights and the business must respect those rights if they want their rights respected.

Organize all you want, it will just end up with you jobless . These are security cameras, not hidden cameras stuffed under a toilet seat. No matter how hard you fight, who is going to force the company to get rid of their security cameras?

I P R O G

Quote by MetalGS3SE
Organize all you want, it will just end up with you jobless .

No it won't. It's illegal to fire someone for organising. Highly illegal.
These are security cameras, not hidden cameras stuffed under a toilet seat. No matter how hard you fight, who is going to force the company to get rid of their security cameras?
No-one will force them to get rid of their security cameras, they will however ensure that they can't be used to take disciplinary action against employees (except in the obvious case of gross misconduct)
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
No it won't. It's illegal to fire someone for organising. Highly illegal.
No-one will force them to get rid of their security cameras, they will however ensure that they can't be used to take disciplinary action against employees (except in the obvious case of gross misconduct)

As far as I know, the owner guy isn't using the tapes to take any disciplinary actions against anyone except the guy who stole a water bottle. TS was just whining that he doesn't like being monitored, which I take to mean he doesn't like the fact that he can't get away with "misconduct". Either way, I see no problem with the cameras, and neither will anyone TS complains to.

And I'm aware it's illegal to fire people for organizing, but that's never stopped them from finding other reasons to fire them.

I P R O G

Question : why can't you scratch your balls? I mean, what's stopping you.
Just look right into one of the cameras, and scratch.
this is stupid.

as long as you arent doing anything wrong you'll be fine!
scratching your balls isnt a sackable offence. (no pun intended!!!!!)

unless ball scratching time outways working time, or you actually pull your balls out of your pants to scratch them, or if you scratch them by rubbing them on co-workers

your boss wont sit around watching endless hours of security tape. he'll just review it if something goes missing again, or if he likes watching young boy constantly scratching their balls.
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
As far as I know, the owner guy isn't using the tapes to take any disciplinary actions against anyone except the guy who stole a water bottle. TS was just whining that he doesn't like being monitored, which I take to mean he doesn't like the fact that he can't get away with "misconduct". Either way, I see no problem with the cameras, and neither will anyone TS complains to.

There is a difference between misconduct and gross misconduct.

And I'm aware it's illegal to fire people for organizing, but that's never stopped them from finding other reasons to fire them.
And it's never topped people from seeing through those reasons and taking employers to the cleaners.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Actually, I think you'll find I'm not really whining. My coworkers are rather annoyed as there are no signs saying there are CCTV cameras and apparently that's illegal. Plus the fact we're getting into crap over ONE bottle of water that wasn't even us - it was an agency guy filling in for one of our workers. I also dislike the idea of being constantly watched - not because I do anything wrong, but because I don't like it. It's like some guy hiding in a bush watching you walk your dog every day. It's ****ed up. That's not whining, it's complaining with justified reason.

Secondly, how dare you even think of accusing me of engaging in misconduct. I've worked hard in every single job I've had, and I've NEVER did something out of bounds or against the rules. I spit in your general direction, and defecate in your mother's.

Just kidding, obviously. But I still resent your remark.

Quote by Talonwolf
*blah blah*

I can't scratch my balls anymore. Come ON!

will he cut your fingers off if you do?

it's not an ivasion of privacy because you're not on your property. What you do on his property is of interest to him, he has a right to know what's going on on his property. how would you like someone to conduct activities that you don't know about in your home? The shop may not be his home but it's still his, even if he rents it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
will he cut your fingers off if you do?

it's not an ivasion of privacy because you're not on your property. What you do on his property is of interest to him, he has a right to know what's going on on his property. how would you like someone to conduct activities that you don't know about in your home? The shop may not be his home but it's still his, even if he rents it.

To be honest, if there wasn't any clear damage, mass theft, or **** spread on the walls, I wouldn't care.

My home has 8 people in it. I don't really care what everyone's doing, and I know they come in my room to borrow stuff. I'm just not a paranoid twat who worries about a bottle of water going missing.

Seriously, what the hell are cleaners going to do to his precious property that wouldn't be blatantly obvious in the morning? Jack off in the coffee machine? Nope, cos each section has two people working in it - some for years - and nothing has ever happened.

Apart from a missing bottle of water.

Quote by Talonwolf
To be honest, if there wasn't any clear damage, mass theft, or **** spread on the walls, I wouldn't care.

My home has 8 people in it. I don't really care what everyone's doing, and I know they come in my room to borrow stuff. I'm just not a paranoid twat who worries about a bottle of water going missing.

would you be as laid back if they didn't have as much right to be there as you? (I assume you live with roommates or your family). If you're as laid back as you say, great, but just because you're not bothered what people get up to in your room/house, doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to.

Seriously, what the hell are cleaners going to do to his precious property that wouldn't be blatantly obvious in the morning? Jack off in the coffee machine? Nope, cos each section has two people working in it - some for years - and nothing has ever happened.

Apart from a missing bottle of water.

it's all well and good finding out what they've done in the morning but finding out who exactly did it and how they did it is sometimes just as important. If there's damage to some valuable equipment and they're all denying responsibility the cctv could prove useful. It also probably cuts down his insurance rates.

you don't like the cctv? tough ****. Any personal stuff that you don't want your employer to know about shouldn't be discussed whilst they're paying you to do a job.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Talonwolf

Either way, I can't get a new job. There are none (I've been trying). Turning up to an interview and being interviewed 15 people at a time with a line of about 300 people outside the building.... Yea, things are pretty dire right now.

I feel you man. It took me forever to find a job. I've been looking since November and just got one today. And Austin is one of the better off cities in America right now.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I say you blatantly walk around scratching your balls as protest.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Your employer must abide by this.

Data Protection Act - CCTV

The Data Protection Act 1988 and subordinate legislation establishes how employers can process employee pictures and / or video footage. The main points are:

The monitoring must be no more than is necessary and proportionate to achieve the business purpose e.g. if an employer believes an employee is stealing money from a till, they should only have CCTV coverage around that area.

An employer must not use personal data collected through CCTV monitoring for purposes other than the prevention or detection of criminal activity.

CCTV footage should be securely locked away. Employers have responsibilities regarding the collection and use of CCTV footage which includes the common law duty of confidence.

An impact assessment must be carried out. If CCTV is used, all staff affected must be told and be made aware of the nature and extent of monitoring (unless of course it would defeat the objective of prevention or detection of crime).

The employer should ensure that there is a clear record of the impact assessment of the CCTV.

If you will need to get protection of some form to avoid it being used to asses your workplace performance
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
The monitoring must be no more than is necessary and proportionate to achieve the business purpose e.g. if an employer believes an employee is stealing money from a till, they should only have CCTV coverage around that area.

that part in itself is completely pointless. all they have to do is say they're aiming to prevent criminal damage/stealing etc. from occurring anywhere on the premises.

CCTV footage should be securely locked away. Employers have responsibilities regarding the collection and use of CCTV footage which includes the common law duty of confidence.

that's fulfilled in this instance as only the owner is viewing the footage for purposes of preventing criminal activities.

I can't see how the TS has any ground to moan.

he may not like it but this use of CCTV doesn't seem to be inappropriate. It may be petty but it's valid. The CCTV itself is obviously of use to the business (due to the value of the items sold) and the owners use of it is in order to detect crime.

Quote by element4433

If they pay you shouldn't they choose the things they want as long as it's for security?
I mean, Why should you get to change stuff about a company because they pay you?

Heck, if I worked for a company they could monitor me all they want, cause I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm not going to tell them how to run their business if they pay me...